Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to service the forks on my 04' KP this spring. Does anybody know the thread size for the cartridge rod up top? I want to make a holding tool before I take it apart but need to know the thread size/pitch under the upper cap. Thanks guys!

·
13,033 Posts
are you asking about the top fork tub cap number 14. If so measure it and go to sears.
Tread pitch would have nothing to do with holding it in place

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you asking about the top fork tub cap number 14. If so measure it and go to sears.
Tread pitch would have nothing to do with holding it in place
No, I'm talking about the top of 19. The top is threaded, it's where the top cap threads on. Under the cap is a nut, then the spring. In order to get the spring out you need to hold the rod up and compress the spring to back of the nut. Polaris has a tool, basically a T handle, threaded at the end to go onto the threaded portion of the cartridge. If I know the thread size/pitch I can easily replicate the tool for about $3 and not hurt myself when rebuilding my KP forks. Thanks for the input VJ. It's kind of a specific question that I wouldn't expect most people to have an answer for.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I never used a holder as once you have the spacer down far enough you can access the nuts. I did have a small tool that I had sitting around the shop to keep the rod from falling back into the fork tubes but a magnet will also pull it up if it does. I also made a tool to compress the spring worked great.

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
that doesnt look easy to do.more parts in there than i thought.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
that doesnt look easy to do.more parts in there than i thought.
Actually it is fairly easy, just check with the service manual. This is everything that needs to be removed...

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have mine scheduled to be done. I dont have tools right now (very basic) but hope to start a set up so I can learn to do my own maintainence.And looking at that pic it doesnt look to bad.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes there is a way to use the trigger clamp, and would more than likely be easier than my method. A Google search will turn up a bunch of different "how to's" on getting the springs compressed.
The 04' has different forks than 12' bikes. The manual has you thread on the tool that I am asking about making, and have one person push down on the spring while the other pulls up on the damper rod with the tool. Then the spring retainer is removed, followed by the nut, spring and spring guide. If I knew the thread size/pitch of the nut or the aluminum cap, I would be in business.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
You might give racetech a call. If they know which fork Polaris used in your bike they may be able to give you an answer to your question.
Most of the time they have OEM parts from the different fork manufacturers too and they are often cheaper than buying parts from the dealer. Worse they can say is we don't know. I'd go directly to one of techs when you call. Used to give you that option in the phone menus.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think I need to buy an overpriced tool to do this job. I just need a rod with the correct female threads at the end to pull up on the damper rod. I bought a 12mm threaded coupler and matching bolt in what I hope is the correct thread size/pitch. If I don't get an answer on here before I do the oil/seal change on my forks I will figure it out when I get them apart. Thanks for the ideas though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I decided to dig in without knowing exactly what I needed. I ended up turning a 10mm coupling nut into a 12mm X 1.25 pitch coupler nut and used a long bolt to hold the cartridge while I installed the clip. Not a bad job, other than running to the store for the parts to make this tool.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Nice! I wasn't even thinking in my earlier posts that you had a 04, glad you got it figured out...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts