Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to help a guy with a 2008 Vision that he just got. He says when he tries to lock the fork it seems like it wants to lock but the key won't go to a full lock position where he can either return and/or pull the key out. Naturally he's afraid to force it for fear of breaking the key. Should he force it then lube something or the other way around ? And where exactly should he lube it? I don't have eyes on it so can't tell what he's doing. Just hoping someone might know about a sticky fork lock on a Vision.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
I'm winging it here, just like you---First, does the Vision have a fork lock? It may not, no Cross bike does. If it does, I'd lube it first, making certain its movement is good. Then while turning the key, applying moderate pressure, move the handlebars left, slowly all the way to the stop and return. If the pun didn't drop, then I suspect a poor alignment of the pin and hole.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to have to assume it has a lock since he says it almost locks but not solidly. Like the pin is moving but maybe slightly missing the hole. I'm wondering just how hard is it normally to lock a Vision? And exactly where is the pin so he might squirt some WD40 on it? I'm not much help with my Roadmaster because it's a totally different set-up I'm guessing. Is the fork lock part of the ignition set-up or is it like the Roadmaster on the side next to the neck? It sounds like he has the owners manual and is following the step described but the pin just isn't going in all the way so I was sorta hoping someone could tell me where he should squirt some oil. Certainly don't want him breaking a key off if there is something maybe a dealer should be looking at it though. His problem is the closest dealer is hours away, He's just bought it from a private sale.

·
13,003 Posts
Yes visions have fork lock. Superior model "just kidding"
The four times I used mine I found I had to push handlebars hard left and hold them there while I turned the key to lock. Felt like something was fighting me when turning them. Yes thought key was maybe breaking.
Maybe twice a year spray some lube down the keyhole. If you ever take dash panel off lube the key mechanism and connections

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
I knew VJ would come to our rescue! Do not use WD40! Use a lube intended for locks. WD can get sticky over time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
On my '12, I have to pull the left handlebar over to full lock as I lock the forks or it won't lock. If that doesn't do it, I echo the need to lube the setup. And graphite powder is the best lube for locks, WD40 or a silicone based lube tends to make the tumblers sticky and that can make things worse.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Like others have mentioned holding the handle bars over left as far as they go is key. If lined up it's not that hard to lock, it is a bit stiff but I have never thought I was going to break my key.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That would be me! Thanks!!!
I applied a bit more force and got it to lock and unlock, then it got easier after that, I operated it about 10 times and it's much easier to use. I don't think the previous owner ever used it and it was just stuck.
I ran out of time yesterday but I plan on lubing it up soon and that should be the end of it

·
Registered
73 Posts
Spraying anything at all in the key hole does nothing to the workings of the ignition set, I removed mine as it wouldn't lock the forks on my bike, I sprayed all kinds of oils in there and worked it with the key until I thought it was going to break off.... I ended up pulling it all the way apart and cleaned it real good and put it back on the bike and now it works just fine. The key hole is not a path to lubricate the workings below.
Since I fixed mine I haven't used it not even one time! To me it's too easy to break the key trying to set the lock in the first place!

·
13,003 Posts
Think I have locked mine 3 times. Why I don't know. But the vision is so beautiful only a handful of us know it so know one wants to steal one

·
Registered
632 Posts
How strong are those locks.... Many years ago i watched two guys discussing that out side a bar... The bike was a Honda VTX...
One guy said' to the owner I can unlock the bars in 2 seconds..
So he Sits on the bike and in one motion, Lifts the bike off the side stand and snaps the handle bars strait ..

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've only tried mine once and had to turn hard left to engage it. Any unknowing soul trying to take it would probably drop it anyway.
I've had lesser bikes moved out of the way just to take a parking spot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah, it's not likely that anyone is going to get very far pushing a Vision :)
I've only tried mine once and had to turn hard left to engage it. Any unknowing soul trying to take it would probably drop it anyway.
I've had lesser bikes moved out of the way just to take a parking spot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts