Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 20 thousand on my 2010 X C . they tell me I need my front fork tubes oil needs changing. Is that right.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have 20 thousand on my 2010 X C . they tell me I need my front fork tubes oil needs changing. Is that right.
I personally believe it more depends on the type of riding you do. 20,000 miles on the freeway isn't going to give those forks much of a workout and under those circumstances you should be good for double that mileage. If you ride in dusty bumpy conditions however you might be due at 15,000.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Just think in terms of a car shock. The fork oil is the hydraulics of the front shock. If you push down hard on the front end, does it bounce? Does it come back slowly? This shock test determines if it needs replaced. Is it leaking oil around the seals? I have went years of riding without changing the oil. Keeping it clean on the tubes saves the seals.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The answer is... are you happy with the front end performance and is the system in good repair? Don't fix what isn't broke, but do check the reaction of the front end and do inspect for dirt and leaks.

·
Premium Member
13,701 Posts
Yep. Actually the book calls for 15k mile fork oil and seal changes. If you are handy with a wrench you could pull the forks and bring them in to save some labor charges and keep from having to drop off the bike and get a ride home.

The thing with fork oil is it goes bad really slowly so we adjust and adapt to it and don't really give it much thought until it gets done and you feel the difference all at once with the new oil in it.

I'm going to do mine at 20k on the XC. There are several threads about changing the fork oil in this forum.

·
13,235 Posts
You don't say where you live so now we have to guess.
The main reason for changing is the condensation that will be in the forks a long with your riding.
If your in cold country and do a lot of dirt roads then yes do it in the spring so it fresh for the coming summer months. If your in the south you could go another ten thousand.
Vic has us change things cause they don't know them selves how far to go or where and how we ride.
Belts are good for 70 thousand and break fluid is good for 4 to five years. Its all a judgment call on the riders part. For sure if you ask dealer they tell you now cause of the money they will make off you.
Order some seals and put on the shelf so when you need them you'll have them.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Repair Manuel for the xr says 15000 miles or evry 2 years

1 - 8 of 8 Posts