Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has 18k + miles on it. The shop manual says to replace the fork oil every 2 years or 15K miles. Question. how long do people wait and how difficult is it ?
Jim

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
I did mine at 30K miles. Changed the seals while I had it apart. If this octogenarian can do it, so can you kid. Used full syn 5W fork oil.

·
13,002 Posts
wait and go to 30 thousand. Victory has very low mileage requirements so you spend more money at dealer.
Do you know brake fluid is only good for 2 or 3 years and you should change it. If you do go to Dot 4

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did mine at 30K miles. Changed the seals while I had it apart. If this octogenarian can do it, so can you kid. Used full syn 5W fork oil.
Thanks Ricz.... is there a procedure in the shop manual ? I loaned mine out ( loaned... yea right) so I may have to download it again

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wait and go to 30 thousand. Victory has very low mileage requirements so you spend more money at dealer.
Do you know brake fluid is only good for 2 or 3 years and you should change it. If you do go to Dot 4
hey VJ hope you had a good winter there in Minn. ! I dont miss the winters of upstate NY.
i was planning on changing my brake fluid this fall and was planning on using DOT4. I am also considering selling my bike. Not because it is a Vic but the the old arthritis is giving me fits. Maybe I can get another year in.. hopefully
Jim

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
There are a lot of how to videos on Youtube. Watch a few - even the generic ones - and you'll learn a few tricks and shortcuts to make the job easier.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a lot of how to videos on Youtube. Watch a few - even the generic ones - and you'll learn a few tricks and shortcuts to make the job easier.
Yea i saw one on Witch Doctors... seems pretty straight forward, just need the tool or find someone who has one.

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
What tool are you referring to? I needed no special tools. You won't either if you are not disassembling the cartridge.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
I've read a few posts from a very well known and trusted Victory Tuner / Technician who warned people not to use the 'Witchdoctors' method of a simple drain and fill. It leaves most of the gunk and debris behind. The only way to do it right is by the book ie: disassemble, clean, may as well replace the seals, measure for wear on the wear blocks etc., assemble, fill it back up.

Yes, apparently a 'special' tool is needed when the forks are properly serviced. I've also read where people have made their own tool or modified another one that will then work just fine on our forks.

I had my fork oil changed at 15K at Randy's Cycle in Marengo, IL. I was surprised at how dirty that original oil was. I'm overdue to have my CCT forks serviced properly again.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I've got an '11 and a '12 and never thought about changing it...but I've also never read the manual....

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Fork oil

Fork oil does get very nasty. Changed mine on my XR this past weekend. Had 20,000 miles on this oil, bike has 56,000+ miles. It was not as dirty this time as the last. Been using the Amsoil, fork oil #5. It seems to stay a bit cleaner than the factory vegie oil they use in the forks. Best to change oil to often, than to ignore it. Forks are high dollar components, would hate to have to buy any parts sooner than needed such as fork legs, etc.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Well it would seem logical that this is a procedure I am going to need to get familiar with. I have 44k on my XC and 20k on me Hammer...

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
called my local dealer on Friday. They advised its just under $400 for them to service and change the oil while the tools can be bought for under $100. looks like I'll be learning how to do this come winter!

God bless everyone!!
Brian

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
If you get the spring tool and the level tool, and follow the service manual, the tools pay for themselves on the first use.
Did you get the tools from a Victory dealer? Are you looking to practice up a bit more using them? I mean, I'm in Chattanooga and you're in NW Georgia. Fork legs or whole motorcycles can be moved across state lines. :smile

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Did you get the tools from a Victory dealer? Are you looking to practice up a bit more using them? I mean, I'm in Chattanooga and you're in NW Georgia. Fork legs or whole motorcycles can be moved across state lines. :smile
We can do that. I don't need practice, but I don't mind doing it. I got my tools from non-victory sources, but there is nothing magic about them. Weekdays are good as I'm retired, wife works. We can do that in the morning and ride after lunch. Pm me.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Guys, just ride on up to the NE corner of TN when you are done and bring the tools and we can change mine!

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you get the spring tool and the level tool, and follow the service manual, the tools pay for themselves on the first use.
whats the level tool ?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
And then on the way home, stop by the Asheville, NC area where I have two that need done :) Actually, I would be interested in joining you guys for a mini-tech session wherever your work is going to occur to see how it is done and maybe even to do one bike. If you are interested in having additional people attend, please post the time and place. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts