Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about rebuilding my
2004 Victory Touring Cruisers front Forks...
They have dried and cracked dust seals and recently started to leak.
Does anyone here have experience doing this. My local Honda Shop just bought out the polaris dealer and they said they dont have the right tools to do the job...
I didn't think it took "Special Tools" but I'm not sure.
Ive rebuilt hydraulic cylinders on my tractors before but this looks a little bit more difficult.
ANY Advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks 馃嵒

Premium Member
The bushings are not made to replace. Just do the seals. The service manual has the correct procedure. There are plenty of videos too. Good luck!

Reactions: Dude83

Premium Member
The special tools are the spring compressor and a suction thing to get the oil levels right. I think these are both generic.

Reactions: Dude83

Premium Member
Ya can do the job yerself (I have). Just get the right tools...

Amazon.com: Race Tech Fork Spring Compressor Universal: Automotive
(spring collapsing tool)

Amazon.com: Motion Pro 08-0121 Fork Oil Level Tool: Automotive
(fluid level measurin' tool)

Amazon.com: Motion Pro (08-0492) 46mm - 47mm Ringer Fork Seal Driver: Automotive
(fork seal removin' too)--or ya can make one from some schedule 80 pipe split in 2

How to use these tools is described in the shop manual.

Witch doctor sells a fork seals...

Search: 4 results found for "fork seal 43" 鈥 Witchdoctors (buywitchdoctors.com)

Also, I went up a grade when replacin' the fork oil...

Amazon.com: PJ1 2-10W-1L 10W Fork Tuner Oil, 1 L: Automotive

The reason for the special fluid measurin' tool is the forks aren't equal in fluid volume.
Ya'll over fill the fork oil to a point, set the suction tool to a prescribed distance, suck the remainder fluid out then, reassemble the fork. Some have poured out the oil per fork, measured it n', refilled with the same volume. I'm not that good (although I got all the measurin' beakers for Christmas).

It's not that hard if yer mechanically inclined. The shop manual is important tho ('specially if you've never done it before).

Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
Good info on tools. I needed that. Thanks.

Registered
That bike doesn鈥檛 have inverted forks on it. That fork spring compressor is for inverted forks and probably won鈥檛 work on regular forks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
That bike doesn鈥檛 have inverted forks on it. That fork spring compressor is for inverted forks and probably won鈥檛 work on regular forks.
馃槄 So a different process or different tools?
i havent started yet been working alot of overtime... do i need to take the spring apart or can i get away with just changing the gaskets and re filling the oil?

Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
You'll need the fluid leveling tool for any fork job.
That's about all my knowledge on it.

Registered
Are the Victory forks so different from the forks on other bikes that you have to use the fluid leveling tool? I've changed the fork oil in over a dozen VTX1300 bikes and for those, you can just measure down from the top of the fork to the fluid level using a tape measure and add fluid until the proper height is reached. Can this same process not be used with a Victory fork?

Registered
That measuring down with a ruler is exactly what the $16 tool is doing. You're setting the distance on a tube and withdrawing the oil down to that level. The tool just makes it easier to be accurate with two hands and not holding a flashlight in your mouth. Never used a fork spring compressor either before but I assume these are different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts