Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Hello guys!
Does anyone know the price to get a fork seal replaced at the dealership
It'd be a bloody fortune, buy or make a sealmate and 9 times outta ten you'll be able to clean out the crap that's holding the seal lip open.
I kid you not... Have a look at Sealmate in YouTube.
There's also plenty if references to them here.

Reactions: kaitiff and RICZ

·
Registered
150 Posts
+1 on the seal mate. Right front was leaking on the XR a week or so ago. Used the seal mate and cured it. Way cheaper than replacement and back up running in minutes...

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
+1 on the seal mate. Right front was leaking on the XR a week or so ago. Used the seal mate and cured it. Way cheaper than replacement and back up running in minutes...
Yep, so many fork seals must get 'replaced' without need to.....or do they?:nerd
My bet is unscrupulous shops that know the Sealmate trick can charge out a big job and rectify the problem in a few minutes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
In the old days, a donor roll of 35mm camera film would save the day. Pull out a piece of film about four inches long - and cut it off. The curvature of the film strip was a perfect match to the fork tube. Lay the film on the fork tube and wiggle it a bit so it got past the seal. See-saw the piece of film around the fork tube to shear off any dried bug guts or bones. Usually a minute or less of attention did the trick. Have had success with said technique a few times over the years. Worth a try . . . if you can find a roll of 35mm film.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
In the old days, a donor roll of 35mm camera film would save the day. Pull out a piece of film about four inches long - and cut it off. The curvature of the film strip was a perfect match to the fork tube. Lay the film on the fork tube and wiggle it a bit so it got past the seal. See-saw the piece of film around the fork tube to shear off any dried bug guts or bones. Usually a minute or less of attention did the trick. Have had success with said technique a few times over the years. Worth a try . . . if you can find a roll of 35mm film.
yeah Ive got a few undeveloped rolls from eons ago, always wonder whats on them but too I'm cheap too cheap to get em developed..would cost a fortune these days I reckon...
with the 35mm film do you cut a hook into it to pull the crap out or just let it get pushed down into the fork oil?

·
Registered
350 Posts
. . . with the 35mm film do you cut a hook into it to pull the crap out or just let it get pushed down into the fork oil?
Never bothered to make a hook. Just cut at an angle so there is a bit of a pointy end to wiggle past the seal. Where the dried bits go, I don't know. Either up or down . . . as long as it goes away and allows the seal to seal. Other than the cost of a roll of antique film, a MacGyver trick to save the day.

Reactions: Motorbikerx

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Never bothered to make a hook. Just cut at an angle so there is a bit of a pointy end to wiggle past the seal. Where the dried bits go, I don't know. Either up or down . . . as long as it goes away and allows the seal to seal. Other than the cost of a roll of antique film, a MacGyver trick to save the day.
yeah an SD card or a USB stick just wont do:grin

just checking on the time must be sunday night there..Im waiting for late night here today so I can make some Monday morning phone call to the USA, re my pipes.

ok back to fork seals

·
Registered
935 Posts
Had mine done on my xr and one fork done on my girlfriend Vegas was done for just a tad over $300 bout 2 months ago btw I had bout 94000 miles on mine

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
yeah an SD card or a USB stick just wont do:grin
I've got a bunk MicroSD my tablet ate for breakfast. I'll try that and get back to you guys.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I've got a bunk MicroSD my tablet ate for breakfast. I'll try that and get back to you guys.
Cool..I have tablets with my breakfast too, Mega B vitamin as well as mega C and garlic and horseradish lately to fight the cold Ive had, got it beat now.
oh and talking about breakfast I burn my porridge cos I started cleaing up my kitchen bench while it was simmering.
Forgot all about it till I smelt it burning,:eek

pays to just do one thing at a time for me I think:|

oh one more thing while we are on the subject of fork seals and such, I'm also on a Gpz900r forum and I mentioned the Sealmate there and they hadn't heard of it...theyre part of the crew that replaces fork seals instead of cleaning them.
And when I mentioned changing fork oil it was shock-horror!:eek...why the hell would anyone change their fork oil unless they're replacing the seals.

Who am I to judge, before owning my Victory I cant say I ever changed fork oil in anything I owned, guess Ive come a long way hey!
Got the best bike in the world, and maintaining it is part of the joy ownership, as is hotting it up a bit:smile

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
@Motorbikerx

Even counting my wife's bikes, I've only owned 6 since I started riding. My own first was an '85 Vulcan 700 that, despite low miles (24k, my XR has more on it), was in rough shape. I unloaded it and had a Vulcan 900 after. I only put 8k miles on it and can't rightly remember if changing fork oil was part of its service schedule. Since then Ive had the Vic, and I've pored over many a thread with many a different opinion on the matter. In the end I doubled the service schedule and finally changed it when I started noticing a little extra nose dive under braking.

On a related note, since I changed mine, the right fork has been seeping. Nothing serious, but I wasn't nearly as neat and clean as I should've been during reassembly, so I figured I'd look into this seal mate.

I couldn't see spending 5-10 bucks on a doodad I might use once or twice, and remembered reading about some fellas here on the forum made their own. Did the same with a Dr. Pepper bottle. havent' ridden yet, but after I ran the little guy through, I jumped on, grabbed the front brake and worked those forks like they owed me money. No further seepage. Time will tell.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I used a playing card (card like in Poker) and made a "Sealmate" tool of my own. Cut a little hook shape and work it around a couple rounds, cleans the crud out pretty well. I had an old deck so it cost nothing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hello guys!
Does anyone know the price to get a fork seal replaced at the dealership
If you happy to replace the fork oil by volume rather than by oil height in the tube, replacing the seals isn't that hard a job. Easier on a HardBall or X Road than X Country. The seals are freely available in the aftermarket
A Sealmate, old playing card or old photo film is easier and cheaper of course. The best preventative is a set of Wide Glide fork boots slipped over the tubes while you're replacing the seals.

Reactions: kaitiff
1 - 15 of 15 Posts