Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it possible to replace the fork seals without opening the fork assembly and releasing the springs.

In other words, can you remove the old seal and install a new one over the top of the upper end of the forks. I don't believe I need to break it all down to replace the bushings because the bike only has 7,800 miles. The age of the bike has taken more detiroration than wear.

And then, how much fork oil is required?

·
13,026 Posts
Yes you should be able to slide the new seals over the tubes and slide down in place.
Wrap some tape around your top nut so you don't tear your inside of the new seal.
Measure your tube diameter in inches and go to the hardware store and buy a peace of plastic pipe that has the same inside diameter. If you need to cut the pipe in half to get the size. Now use the pipe like a slide hammer and tap your new seal in place. Even give your new seal a shot of WD40 or what ever to help it slid in place.
No it will not cause a leak with a little lube.
Even if you have to take the top nut off the fork you would have to go any father then that. Be careful
if you do it will take no effort for the tube to slid down. Mater of fact "loosen" the nut while its still in the triple tree. Pull the tube take the nut off slid the seal on "put" the nut on and then push your seal down.
When your ready put it back together.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sure, you could get the new seals on with the fork in place, but getting the old ones out - I doubt you could without messing up the fork sliders. That is why the forks will have to be taken apart - getting the old seals out. Plus probably the reason the one is leaking is from road debris which may have nicked the fork tube and made the seal leak. This is a great time to fix the slider, and put better oil in the fork.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
10Wt has been working good for me.
Hey Rylan, not starting a brand thread or oil thread here....but just for my own knowledge.
Will any brand of 10Wt fork oil work on all Victory bikes....warranty issues?

·
13,026 Posts
Is it possible to replace the fork seals without opening the fork assembly and releasing the springs.

In other words, can you remove the old seal and install a new one over the top of the upper end of the forks. I don't believe I need to break it all down to replace the bushings because the bike only has 7,800 miles. The age of the bike has taken more detiroration than wear.

And then, how much fork oil is required?
To get the seal out screw a sheet metal into the center of the seal
you more then likely will need to do two so you can pull on one side then the other.
If you don't think you can do it pull your fork and go to the dealer he can't charge that much. Or can he.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey Rylan, not starting a brand thread or oil thread here....but just for my own knowledge.
Will any brand of 10Wt fork oil work on all Victory bikes....warranty issues?
There shouldn't be any warranty issues, and you can use any brand - same as motor oil. I personally use Bel-Ray as it's easy to find. I've been using 10wt across the board, but have been meaning to do more research on the newer bikes as those forks are from a different manufacturer and I want to see what works best. So far 10wt has been good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts