Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some simple service done before my trip west.... Still finding issues.

My forks were not quite right before leaving but now they are sticking.... How a simple oil change can go so wrong....

trying to figure out what in the tudes would cause the sticksion? Bushings, or oil ( or the lack there of)

Thoughts? There are no bent forks here unless SOMD bent them in the assembly process.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Had some simple service done before my trip west.... Still finding issues.

My forks were not quite right before leaving but now they are sticking.... How a simple oil change can go so wrong....

trying to figure out what in the tudes would cause the sticksion? Bushings, or oil ( or the lack there of)

Thoughts? There are no bent forks here unless SOMD bent them in the assembly process.
The tubes themselves. There for a while, sportbike makers were using various coatings to reduce it. Sometimes they were black or gold.

This generally isn't something that most notice. What is the symptom that you feel is caused by sticktion?

I also let a local place change my fork oil before a trip as I didn't have a tool to tighten up the steering head. $80 later, I now have that tool. $50 of it was provided by Vic by way of a gift card. Anyway, when I got it back several of the bolts weren't tightened. I torqued everything up, but I still feel an occasional thunking from the front end when I brake from slow speeds. And more often when the bike is cold. Oddly, it doesn't do that from high speeds. I also had them drop in EBC brake pads at the time. I'm wondering if they might be causing the thunking.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tubes themselves. There for a while, sportbike makers were using various coatings to reduce it. Sometimes they were black or gold.

This generally isn't something that most notice. What is the symptom that you feel is caused by sticktion?

I also let a local place change my fork oil before a trip as I didn't have a tool to tighten up the steering head. $80 later, I now have that tool. $50 of it was provided by Vic by way of a gift card. Anyway, when I got it back several of the bolts weren't tightened. I torqued everything up, but I still feel an occasional thunking from the front end when I brake from slow speeds. And more often when the bike is cold. Oddly, it doesn't do that from high speeds. I also had them drop in EBC brake pads at the time. I'm wondering if they might be causing the thunking.
It is not a plating problem a sthe chrome on the lowers is intact at least on the exposed parts.

Steering head bearing has nothing to do with the suspension moving up and down.... if the head was loose it would cause a multitude of issues.

Also spend the better part of 8 hours going over the bike re-torquing on in some cases torquing parts/bolts /nuts.

My hope is that it is just contaminated oil and not broken or jamed parts due to sloppy work by SoMD Vic.

·
13,048 Posts
maybe they forgot to put oil in one fork. Or they didn't put in enough.
I would take it a part and redo every thing an check for burs on forks or lack of oil

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lack of Oil, hum did not think that would cause the issue but maybe.
Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
Low oil the fork will act like a pogo stick. No oil it could seize up and stick. In my opinion you need to pull the forks and check the oil level. You can't check the level with the forks on the bike. They also the fork spring has to be out to measure the oil level.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
It is not a plating problem a sthe chrome on the lowers is intact at least on the exposed parts.
My point was that chrome is not the best material to prevent stiction.

Steering head bearing has nothing to do with the suspension moving up and down.... if the head was loose it would cause a multitude of issues.
I was not implying that was your issue, I was stating that it was mine following a dealer fork service. I still don't know what your symptoms are?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
forks

I had my fork oil done at a different dealer several miles NE of where you went (thanks for the report out, by the way!). They mentioned they were seeing a number of bikes where the inner bushing/plunger was distorted from excess compression, typically from being tied down under too much pressure for transport, causing it to stick in its travel.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the bike had never been tied down for transport, I suspect that the goons in SoMD did not take care installing the legs and rolled on of the seals or F'd up the piston.

Vern told me that it might take a couple of hours (Just fork oil) or up to 8 to replace bushings and what ever else they find.

Interesting that I find folks that are willing to trust SoMD to service and modify their bikes and then ride them.... I watched one of their test riders in a Vision and he almost dumped it just turning around on US301....

New table with double drop outs and a tire changer will adorn my shop soon, and as long as I can order parts and have them sent to my home I have no further need for SoMD Vic. If I need wrench work done I will head to Annapolis. Dropping the bike off on the 23rd will post what they find out.

Cheers

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just a quick note,
Finnally got this to the shop, Annapolis MD, forks opened up...

Complete rebuild, some kind of green heavy oil in the tubes, (Not Vic OEM, Not AMSOIL, ??) cartridges shot metal in the oil. How did this happen? Answer incorrect maintenance and oil. Metal is from the cartridge right leg.

Cost to fix is looking at $1,100.00 and a week. I have nothing good to say about SoMD Victory and now I have 1100 more reasons to add to that.

What goes around..... comes back around.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
a complete OEM new leg is prolly less, got the international model hammer leg for dual disc on my 13 hammer about $800 delivered!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a complete OEM new leg is prolly less, got the international model hammer leg for dual disc on my 13 hammer about $800 delivered!!
2X equals $1600.... The tubes are OK at first look we'll see after the finished tear down and cleaning.

·
Premium Member
13,323 Posts
2X equals $1600.... The tubes are OK at first look we'll see after the finished tear down and cleaning.
I would be looking at taking them to small claims court and talking with Ma Vic about it. Not some low level keyboard jockey either. Someone up high enough to give some satisfaction to this issue. Dealerships are independent of Ma Vic but they are who represents Victory so obviously something needs to happen and you should not have to shell out a single dime. In fact you should be refunded all your money for getting it serviced at the bad shop.

JMHO. YMMV. FWiW.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
BB,
Already looked down that route. For the amount of $$ spent in the the Liberal Maryland Counrt system this would end up as a draw with counter suites back and forth to no ones satisfaction.

Yes I have a good Lawyer and yes we did explore this in depth.

As a dissatisfied Customer about the best I can do in this state is to express my dissatisfaction with the dealership and relay my expirences.

I am a firm believer in "what goes around comes around". I know personnally of folks that will not let that dealership change their oil let alone service their bikes after hearing of my ordeal. That list is growing.

Thanks to the fine efforts of Half Crazy, KMC has appointments here twice a year, a reliable and straight up company that stands behind his work.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
BB,
Already looked down that route. For the amount of $$ spent in the the Liberal Maryland Counrt system this would end up as a draw with counter suites back and forth to no ones satisfaction.

Yes I have a good Lawyer and yes we did explore this in depth.

As a dissatisfied Customer about the best I can do in this state is to express my dissatisfaction with the dealership and relay my expirences.

I am a firm believer in "what goes around comes around". I know personnally of folks that will not let that dealership change their oil let alone service their bikes after hearing of my ordeal. That list is growing.

Thanks to the fine efforts of Half Crazy, KMC has appointments here twice a year, a reliable and straight up company that stands behind his work.
Probably a little late now but if you are spending that type of money on them you might contact racetech and see what they could do for you. They will custom valve and spring the forks for you given the proper information such as your weight riding style and particulars about the weight of the bike. Most of all they will tell you if you will gain much by having them set them up when they repair them.

Vic parts are generally overpriced and you never know what it will cost to get the front end done there till you ask. Just a thought.

Like you I just fought it out with my local dealer over trying to get the rear suspension working on my 14 xc. The dealer here never fixed the problem and never gave me one of the new parts that was paid for by Victory under warranty. He either substituted another used shaft or gave me back my original after heavily sanding it. I too investigated legal action. I quickly realizing why the dealer all but laughed at me on the phone when I complained about my missing part and told them I would be looking into going through the courts. I really hope you are right about what comes around goes around. There is always that hope.

I am glad you found a honest mechanic. They are priceless and something that should be heavily supported by the local motorcycle community. If people don't feed these guys well, these good mechanics find other work that pays even better and move on. There are lots of machines that need to be fixed everywhere and a good mechanic soon realizes he can fix anything and motorcycles don't necessarily pay the best. It's good that you are advertising this guy. The warranty is only as good as the man who honors it. It really is buyer beware out there. People just don't realize it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Probably a little late now but if you are spending that type of money on them you might contact racetech and see what they could do for you. They will custom valve and spring the forks for you given the proper information such as your weight riding style and particulars about the weight of the bike. Most of all they will tell you if you will gain much by having them set them up when they repair them.

Vic parts are generally overpriced and you never know what it will cost to get the front end done there till you ask. Just a thought.

Like you I just fought it out with my local dealer over trying to get the rear suspension working on my 14 xc. The dealer here never fixed the problem and never gave me one of the new parts that was paid for by Victory under warranty. He either substituted another used shaft or gave me back my original after heavily sanding it. I too investigated legal action. I quickly realizing why the dealer all but laughed at me on the phone when I complained about my missing part and told them I would be looking into going through the courts. I really hope you are right about what comes around goes around. There is always that hope.

I am glad you found a honest mechanic. They are priceless and something that should be heavily supported by the local motorcycle community. If people don't feed these guys well, these good mechanics find other work that pays even better and move on. There are lots of machines that need to be fixed everywhere and a good mechanic soon realizes he can fix anything and motorcycles don't necessarily pay the best. It's good that you are advertising this guy. The warranty is only as good as the man who honors it. It really is buyer beware out there. People just don't realize it.
Joe,
your story sounds all to familar sorry to hear that. This guys "friends" all tell me it is my fault or that they can't believe they would do that. Well guess what it happened and the forks are just the last thing found.

The real sorry thing is in a year this will just fall by the wayside and the shops will continue to screw certain customers while the ignorant or favorites will just except the crap level of service and laugh it off.

I have set up part of my garage as a service bay and am collecting tools that I need to keep my ride on the road. A lift table and a Tire changer were the big ticket items the rest will come as required. Not looking to go into business, but I bet I could wipe out the local shops with just good customer service, but offer a place for my friends to learn about and work on their bikes without getting screwed by the give a $hit dealer inthe area.

Anything more than maintenance will be done by KMC/The Vic Shop/or Llloydz.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Instead of calling up and whining you might do what I did. I had an issue with my selling dealer's service department and walked into the owner's office and laid a handful of parts on his desk. I told him how disappointed I was and asked him what he intended to do about it. No threats, just a question. I have had nothing but good service from that shop ever since, including them taking care of the problem that I identified. Sometimes it just takes getting their attention and letting them know that you do not intend to become a victim.

·
13,048 Posts
I didn't read all the post but I did look up parts and the cartridge is only $231 bucks 99% of the time the bushing don't go bad.
I missed it but where did the green junk come from.
Squatch
did the do the first service on the forks.

Chrome on the fork tubes are a hard chrome extremely tuff.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Instead of calling up and whining you might do what I did. .
LOL Hey I maxed whining 101. It is one of the few classes I really excelled at. Went out with the teacher too.

But I am willing to guess that you got low marks in Political correctness classes.

cheers

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
But I am willing to guess that you got low marks in Political correctness classes.

cheers
You are more right than you might imagine. I could never even get a passing grade in PC. When I see something I say it and I fail once again to pussy foot around.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts