Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Victory 2" forward kit for my 2012 Hammer 8 Ball and the shift rod seems too long.
The stock rod is 6 3/4".
The rod that came with the kit is 11"
I was wondering if anybody can tell me the length it should be.
I am thinking I should just cut 2" off of the end with right hand threads, and cut new threads.

Thanks in advance,
Dale

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
It should be 2 inches longer than the stock shift rod. Just cut it down to fit. Let me guess you bought the kit from WD's? I made my own forward/riser kit and needed a new shift rod so I contacted them and he forwarded me to the guy that makes the kit for WD's and he tried to sell me a 11 inch shift rod, told him he was crazy anf it needed to be 8.75 to 9 inch in length....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually bought it from the Vic dealer.
So... in essence. 2" forward = rod should be 2" longer than stock?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I may be wrong but it seems I heard somewhere that the 8 ball Hammer has the front pegs moved back(closer) to the rider than the standard or HammerS . This could be why your shift rod is shorter. I have an 07 Hammer and the shift rod on the forward relocation kit was 2 inches longer than stock. On my stock bike the front bolt of my peg mount was also used to tie the front of the frame together. I Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Yes the 8 ball has the pegs 2 inches rearward and slightly lower than the "S" model, but it is not the location on the frame but rather the shape and angle of the whole unit itself. So +2 inches forward still adds up to 2 inches longer shift rod no matter how it's added up....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am not familiar with all the specs on the 8 Ball Hammers and thought maybe they moved the standard hammer footpegs with a rearward relocation kit that Vic offers instead of a peg mount redesign. Ignorance on my part.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got a 2" extension for my hammer and they sent me a link bar that was 4" longer. Seems they just can't get this product right. I ended up cutting my and recapping it.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Some bikes did come out with the "vegas low" or "high ball" set up....so some 2" forward extensions will be wrong. I guess the best thing to do is determine exactly what set up you have before ordering to reduce any confusion.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Hammer 8Balls do in fact come with pegs that are moved 2" back. If you only want to go 2 inches like I did you can buy a forward location kit for a vegas low(moves the pegs to the standard location). It doesn't list fitting the Hammer but it bolted right on

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a machinist friend cut the length, and cut new threads on the end with right hand threads. The funny part is, even though it's a 13mm jam nut, the threads are not metric.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts