Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to turn on the XC's front turn signals to act as running lights?
I've never liked that the XC only has the headlight as forward lighting, form time to time I think about adding runners. For some reason this morning I thought of this question.

thanks

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Is there any way to turn on the XC's front turn signals to act as running lights?
I've never liked that the XC only has the headlight as forward lighting, form time to time I think about adding runners. For some reason this morning I thought of this question.

thanks
If there is a way, my guess is that you'll have to figure it out, and it won't be easy, i.e., you'll be on the bleeding edge.

I agree that bikes should have running lights in the front:

1) I had a 650 Burgman for five years, and it used incandescent bulbs for turn signals up front. A bunch of us on a Burger forum got together, and (like the rest) I wound up swapping out the bulb sockets, adding a wire, and replacing the single-filament bulbs with double-filament ones. Voila: running lights!

2) On my XCT, I addressed the problem by adding Rivco mirrors with built-in LEDs (running- and turn-signal amber in the front, and turn-signal red on the rear-facing side). I describe this process in agonizing detail in a write-up on my web site: http://www.billanddot.com/adding-rivco-led-mirrors.html

During the course of that work, I discovered that the ECM is super-fussy about voltages or resistance or something, in terms of the turn signals. I wound up using a trailer isolator just to drive the LEDs on the mirrors.

I've also experimented -- without success -- with CustomLED's Blinker Genies ( http://www.customled.com/products/blinker-genie ).

Besides the ECM's being a fuss-budget, I think the problem is that the stock LEDs are "overdriven" to achieve high brightness. I read about this somewhere -- I think someplace on CustomLED's site (but I can't find it now).

Another possible solution is just adding running lights, i.e., leaving the stock signals alone. You might add something such as the Photon Blasters, for instance: http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/PB_Features.shtml

But I certainly agree that it seems a waste to have the bright stock LEDs in the turn signals just sitting out there most of time, not doing anything (just as it was on the Big Burger, with its bulbs... which at least I could do something about).

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw your write up on the Rivco's when I was looking for info this "issue". I could add running lights but I wouldn't want them or the wiring on the forks or highway bars. I had the thought of attaching LEDs to the turn signal arms, then running the wiring back through the body following the turn signal wires but I'm afraid a steady-on light that close to the turn signal might confuse drivers when I'm signaling.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I saw your write up on the Rivco's when I was looking for info this "issue". I could add running lights but I wouldn't want them or the wiring on the forks or highway bars. I had the thought of attaching LEDs to the turn signal arms, then running the wiring back through the body following the turn signal wires but I'm afraid a steady-on light that close to the turn signal might confuse drivers when I'm signaling.
Yep, you have a good point, about lights next to lights.

In addition to the Rivcos (which I think are nice, because you get extra turn signals up high, which I think could be helpful for cagers not paying attention), I have Motolights on the forks for conspicuity (I hardly ever ride at night) and the CustomLED flasher for the trunk's brake light.

But, yeah, it still irks me that those stock LEDs seem wasted up front. If you figure out how to make them into running lights, please report back here.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'm replacing mine with ones off my Suzuki. It will have a white led running light. When the turn signal is turned on, the middle part flashes amber and the white ring shuts off.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm replacing mine with ones off my Suzuki. It will have a white led running light. When the turn signal is turned on, the middle part flashes amber and the white ring shuts off.
You'll definitely have to put up a "how to and with what" on this project. thumb up

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
I'd be interested as well :)

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Would it be too tacky to just stick some additional orange LED strips on top of, or under, the existing turn signals? That would be quite cheap and easy...

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
I too wanted to find a way to make running lights out of my front signals, but kept hitting dead ends. So I went with Clearwater Darlas--gawdawful bright (2,000 lumens) and bike specific mounting hardware onto the lower side cowls, at the bottom of the crash bars. That makes for a very noticeable triangle of light. They are on all the time--100% when on high beam and when on low, they are at whatever you dial the brightness to be. Not cheap, but extremely high quality.
https://www.clearwaterlights.com//

Attachments

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Would it be too tacky to just stick some additional orange LED strips on top of, or under, the existing turn signals? That would be quite cheap and easy...
I thought the same Broggy. The brightness of the turn signals when activated should still be noticed while the LED's mounted under the light stayed lit. I did see a nice custom look on an HD batwing fairing where individual LED lights were carefully drilled and spaced into the front of the fairing. Similar to the Kuryakyn Fairing Brows for HD. Pisses me off that they only offer a piece of **** chrome brow (no lights) for our XC fairings. Are we listening Kuryakyn ?????

A friend I ride with just replaced the turn signals on his SG with the type that are LED white while running then a separate amber ring lights for signal operation shutting off the white ring. They are an HD piece mimicking the factory lights and housings with smoked lenses. Great look!

Are we listening Polaris ??????

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
RICZ, you don't want me to post my airplane landing lights pic again, do ya? :)

I think I want to experiment with some orange LED strips on under the turn signals that stay on all the time...

·
Registered
12,326 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I too wanted to find a way to make running lights out of my front signals, but kept hitting dead ends. So I went with Clearwater Darlas--gawdawful bright (2,000 lumens) and bike specific mounting hardware onto the lower side cowls, at the bottom of the crash bars. That makes for a very noticeable triangle of light. They are on all the time--100% when on high beam and when on low, they are at whatever you dial the brightness to be. Not cheap, but extremely high quality.
https://www.clearwaterlights.com//
Nice!! I have the PIAA LED III's mounted in the same location. I get a lot of compliments from the boys in front. I know they are effective in traffic especially at dusk and into night. On comers notice when they are just about to pull out then stop. Cant put a price on that kind of defensive riding.thumb up

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Nice!! I have the PIAA LED III's mounted in the same location. I get a lot of compliments from the boys in front. I know they are effective in traffic especially at dusk and into night. On comers notice when they are just about to pull out then stop. Cant put a price on that kind of defensive riding.thumb up
In group rides, they like to have me be the tail gunner because I'm easily spotted by those in front. Those Clearwater LEDs might be pricey, but I look at them as cheap life insurance.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You get what you pay for and your lights are a quality addition to your bike. I paid a tad north of $300 and have them switched at the handle bars. I would like to run a separate lighted switch at the fairing similar to the one I added for my amps cooling fan.

I notice bikes in on coming traffic quite quickly when they are running aux lights like ours. It's good to be noticed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was going to wire the turn signals to be running/turn but I decided to go with strips of amber LED's as running lights instead. They are on the front edge of the forged bars and the bottom line of the fairing.
I have also added amber LED's to the back of the mirrors and tied them into the signals so they are running/turn signals.
The headlight is removed because I hadn't put it back in yet.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Here's the lights I'm going to use from my Suzuki. They were originally attached around the forks with a rubber clamp. I removed that so it was hollow inside the housing. Then I took a little bit of steel stick putty and pushed it down inside the housing to hold the wires in place and to stop the jb weld from seeping into where the LEDs go. I then took a threaded coupler the same size as the stock lights and jb welded it in to the center. Now I just need to cut out a rubber gasket and paint them. The last pic is the LEDs. I think there is 48 total with 24 of them being white and 24 amber ones.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 72 Posts