Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
When washing your bike, be certain to dry out the plug wells. I use a leaf blower. Appears as tho you are running rich and/or not using high enough revs for clean burning. Grab higher revs and don't lug.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't think they look all that bad.
The rust was probably caused by washing the bike just before parking it. I always take my bike out for a spin after I wash it to evaporate the water that sits in places like that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When washing your bike, be certain to dry out the plug wells. I use a leaf blower. Appears as tho you are running rich and/or not using high enough revs for clean burning. Grab higher revs and don't lug.
Thanks Ricz and Rwilly,

I do feel like I don't rev my bike's engine high enough before shifting up sometimes.

I kind of thought the rust was from the previous owner letting water sit in there too long. I'm just hoping they didn't let the bike sit outside in the rain too many times!

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I do feel like I don't rev my bike's engine high enough before shifting up sometimes.
You can not rev your engine too high (there are built in rev limiters) but you can rev it too low. Keeping revs UP gives you more speed control, you'll use the brakes less and you will have far more control in curves. Use that lever down by your left foot.thumb up

·
Registered
146 Posts
I discovered the same thing on the used Vegas that I bought earlier this year. The first time I washed it and then road it the spark plug holes dripped brown rust water all over the engine. I freaked because it was my first time riding the bike and I thought my engine was leaking something. Once I discovered the caused I used a wire brush to clean the rust off of the plugs and now I stuff some rags around the holes whenever I wash the bike.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can not rev your engine too high (there are built in rev limiters) but you can rev it too low. Keeping revs UP gives you more speed control, you'll use the brakes less and you will have far more control in curves. Use that lever down by your left foot.thumb up

+1 on that Ric!thumb up
In the immortal words of myself: If your back tire ain't loaded, you will be unloaded.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts