Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of threads about starter trouble and being expected to buy a whole new starter. I found a similar problem, and finally a solution.

$12.50 plus S&H to replace the brushes. I think I just saved $350 that will go toward something much more enjoyable.

2000 V92C bottomed out on a speed bump, cracked the mounting dog for the regulator. Not obvious, but water got in and corroded the brushes. After awhile, the starter would sometimes quit when it got hot, sometimes struggle and draw extra current when it got cold, burned up a starter relay from the strain, and finally just quit until it was removed from the bike. One single brush of the four wedge-shaped brushes was worn and distorted. A bit of electric parts cleaner and half an hour of careful looking showed nothing else was wrong but that one brush that costs less than two bits to make.

Victory dealer wants $385 for the starter, doesn't sell or cross-reference a repair kit. Apparently no one else uses these end-commutator brushes, even though it is superior in design. AutoZone etc., no longer sell brushes. Web searches were not getting me anywhere, but I didn't want to just buy a used starter on eBay, and REALLY didn't want to indulge Polaris Industries' lack of customer support.

Started looking for "wedge-shaped," and BINGO!

http://store.eurtonelectric.com/brushesautoandlowvoltageaes-1751.aspx
.13" x .30" x .41" x .5" 8275528-S BRUSH KIT " WEDGE" SHAPE BR687800
Cross references: 8275528-S, 52-755-15, 48-755-15

V/R
Nuke
2000 V92C
2008 Vegas 8-Ball
TNTC prior

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
This is a fabulous example of the worth of joining a forum like this with such resourceful folk on it. Thanks for that info and the link nucvictory.

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
$385 is a little extreme for this starter.
Been using one for close to two years and I ride daily and really never drive.

Great resource for brushes if you want or can rebuild one.

·
13,177 Posts
Most auto electric repair shops can rebuild your starter with new brush's and bearing.

Great find

·
Registered
144 Posts
Excellent post, "nucvictory"...good job! thumb up

I ran into a similar situation years ago with my Toyota pickup truck. They had a known design flaw in their starters, where the brushes would wear out prematurely...most folks just bought a new starter...can you say "mucho dinero"?...probably better learn. :(

One industrious young man, like you, found that there were exact fit, replacement brushes for the starters, for about the same price...$12.50 or so...needless to say, I installed the new brush kit, and the starter worked great for another 12 years.

Thanks for the info. :)

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Well here I am in the same boat. My starter died and I took it apart to find two of the brushes worn down and the wire was broken. Now I see why it doesn't work.

The issue I have is my starter does not use the wedge shaped brushes. It is not an end commutator set up. My starter has normal looking rectangular brushes. Now, it has been easy to find the wedge shaped brushes due to the OP's hard work, but I can't find the brushes I need for anything.

Has anyone else rebuilt a starter that didn't use the wedge shaped brushes?

·
13,177 Posts
mikeyvee

You don't say what year or model you have.
Look in your town for automobile electrical repair shop they would have brushes. Even a electrical motor repair shop might have them

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Working on an 06 Kingpin. I called DB Electrical, a place that sells reman starters. They said the one I have is really old and the new styles have the flat commutator set up. This guy says find a good local electric shop and see if they can match the brushes or cut down a bigger set to fit.

Yay me. I always get the odd ball stuff.

There is a pretty good electrical place here in Nashville, but the guru won't be in until Friday. I will head over there again and see.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Good find. And let us know if it worked out all right ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts