Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys. I'm freaking out a bit. Was looking at my oil and it is a tan color with a gas like smell. Someone please tell me this is just some very old oil. Please. It still has an oil consistency and feels like oil when rubbed between my fingers. I've seen milky oil from coolant before and this is nothing like that. I'm going out on a limb and guessing it's from condensation from sitting for who knows how long in cold weather. Well that's what I'm hoping on.

Should I throw on that fram oil filter and some cheap oil and run it then flush it again then do a real oil change and see what happens?

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you don't think it's anything to worry about? And was just gonna use the fram to run it a few miles then toss it and the oil. And use a good filter and oil. But if it's not a issue I'll just change the oil

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
don't use a fram on anything... put some Rotella in it, run it 100 miles and dump it.
Completely agree, just dump this oil and filter, run some JASO MA2 wet clutch oil, do a short ride, dump that oil and filter ... Then put new oil and filter .... you'll be "fine"

Yess it seems like moist (so water) is inside your oil from many SHORT RIDES or parked too long ..

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much guys. I was going into full panic mode. I talked to my buddy that has a Harley and he has gas smell also.

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
My throttle position sensor went out of calibration on my 2004 Vegas causing it to dump gas and it ended up making the oil smell like gas, people riding behind me could smell it also. Dealer set it and I never had another problem.

Reactions: LILMAGS500

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
If you have been riding out when it was cold enough that the motor oil seldom got hot enough to boil out the condensation and extra fuel, this is to be expected. A bike doesn't have a thermostat like a car. Being air cooled it has cooling for a 120 degree day all the time and the oil does not warm up enough on cold days, even with extended riding, to remove the water from condensation and products of combustion or extra fuel thatt builds up in it..

When it is cold out your EFI system has the "choke" on to some extent all the time to make the motor run properly also. So you get even more fuel contamination than normal in the oil because of this.

Diesel rated oils have a special additive package to better protect a motor from moisture build up than conventional oils. Moisture and fuel still builds up in the oil but those oils control the rust better. They are a better choice for winter riding or wet climates. You still need to dump the oil more often in cold riding to get the fuel that builds up out though. There is just less of a chance of having a problem with internal rust if you run them.

If you don't ride when it is cold and you have not had your bike stored somewhere where it is wet like outside with a tarp over it, etc you might have some other issue so far as far as the fuel smell. The oil color comes from moisture contamination though.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
It may have been worse than I thought. That's some ugly oil.
That sure seems to be a lot of moisture......I've seen ATVs come in that got pulled out of lake Erie and that oil looked like gray milk but not that color. The one sat under the ice for four days before it got pulled out.

I would drain and fill twice just to make sure. Cheapest stuff that was on the shelf, ride it for like 10 miles, dump, refill and do it one more time, just to make sure, third time usually means ll the stuff is out of there by then.

Does that oil have a gas smell to it at all??

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And joe. I just bought this bike so I know nothing about the history of the bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
And joe. I just bought this bike so I know nothing about the history of the bike.
When u purchased the bike did u check the oil to see if it was contaminated? Also u could check the crank case vent tube for cracks etc maybe the previous owner pressure washed the bike and water got in the crank case through the vent just a thought i had.

·
13,262 Posts
You and your HD buddie. If you can't ride it for more then a hour don't start it in winter. It will do more harm then good. By the way put in new spark plugs

Reactions: LILMAGS500

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Filled it up with some rotella t4 and a new filter. Rode around 10mi. Drained the oil and it was black!!!! That's nuts. Filled it back up with new rotella t4 and rode another 10mi. Checked the dipstick and looks much better. Still has that honey color. I figure I'll leave it in for around 100 mi then dump it and put in the rotella t6 and a new mobile 1 filter. If anyone has any suggestions other than that please let me know.

And on a side note OMG. What a beast. Why exactly did this brand deserve the AX?

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
Filled it up with some rotella t4 and a new filter. Rode around 10mi. Drained the oil and it was black!!!! That's nuts. Filled it back up with new rotella t4 and rode another 10mi. Checked the dipstick and looks much better. Still has that honey color. I figure I'll leave it in for around 100 mi then dump it and put in the rotella t6 and a new mobile 1 filter. If anyone has any suggestions other than that please let me know.

And on a side note OMG. What a beast. Why exactly did this brand deserve the AX?
So when you put your third oil in the engine, then RIDE THAT BEAST, don't park it, and smell the oil for GAS once in a while, as the info Vindex posted interested me very much ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
It may have been worse than I thought. That's some ugly oil.
As has been posted, that chocolate/coffee looking oil is a direct result of the engine not getting up to proper temperature. Therefore the water from condensation never gets burned off from the oil being hot enough. People who mostly get oil like this are the ones who start the bike over Winter storage 'just to hear it', they take way too many short rides and/or bikes that sit at dealers too long. Too often the salesman at a dealer will start the bike, rev it up to let a prospective customer listen to it. In that scenario, the bike typically never gets warmed up, the pistons score the cylinder walls and the oil gets an ample dose of water and gas each and every time.

I change my oil and filter every 2500 miles, (yea, I know that's frequent). I never run or start the bike 'just because' and it always gets warmed up prior to a ride that's long enough to ensure everything is temperature stabilized. My oil doesn't really change color much in 2500 miles. I buy the Victory 4.5 oil change kits for $40 each so factor that in as well.

Years ago when Moto Guzzi came out with their last iteration of the 1100 motor and the new 8V 1200 motor many owners freaked out. They'd remove the valve covers to check the valve clearance and were horrified at what they saw. The underside of the valve covers had what looked like a thick coating of brown mayonnaise. Moto Guzzi increased the oil flow rate too much. With the cylinder heads sticking out in the air stream of the Guzz V Twin design, often times the heads never got up to proper temperature. Add in short rides, cold temps and/or wet conditions and the brown mayo oil issue grew worse. Since the oil wasn't hot enough it also then didn't properly lubricate the valve train or drain back down into the sump. The mechanical results were many cams and valve trains wearing our prematurely and recalls a plenty.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Good post Mark. In other words; Thou shalt not ignite thy motorcycle's engine unless thou is to partake of a journey of at least a half hour in length, preferably an hour. Thou shalt heat up thy motorcycle's oil sufficiently to expel the embedded water. Amen.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Just got back to the computer.
Have you looked the bike over carefully to see if it was in a flood? Not trying to freak you out but that is a lot of water in there.
You might pull one or both axles and see if they show signs of water infiltration into the wheel hubs. If the bike has been underwater like in a flood you need to know and get the trapped water and silt out of it asap to limit the damage. it's also good for peace of mind.

If on inspection there is no signs it has been underwater, when you put the T6 in don't get too shook if again it gets dirty pretty quick, That is not a bad thing. Diesel synthetics have a lot more dispersant (detergent) than dino diesel oils and will further clean the mayonnaise out of the motor. Which is what you want.

It will probably get pretty ugly quicker than you expect. The second round of it should act more normal.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
People who mostly get oil like this are the ones who start the bike over Winter storage 'just to hear it', they take way too many short rides and/or bikes that sit at dealers too long. Too often the salesman at a dealer will start the bike, rev it up to let a prospective customer listen to it. In that scenario, the bike typically never gets warmed up, the pistons score the cylinder walls and the oil gets an ample dose of water and gas each and every time.
I can't imagine the bike being in a flood. It was in the mountains of Denver. I think Mark hit the nail on the head. The bike sat for many years then sat at a dealer for quite a while over the winter (Why I got such a great deal). Everyday they would fire it up and pull it out the garage 10 feet and kill it then repeat at the end of the day for months on end in the cold. Then add each customer that looks at it and they fire it up again. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

The second fill of oil looks so much better but a third will be done fore good measure.

Everyone here is so great with all the help. Defiantly helped calm me down when I was in full panic mode. I'm so use to working on cars I kept thinking about blown head gaskets and coolant mixing in the oil. Then had to remind myself there is no coolant in our bikes. Lol.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
I can't imagine the bike being in a flood. It was in the mountains of Denver. I think Mark hit the nail on the head. The bike sat for many years then sat at a dealer for quite a while over the winter (Why I got such a great deal). Everyday they would fire it up and pull it out the garage 10 feet and kill it then repeat at the end of the day for months on end in the cold. Then add each customer that looks at it and they fire it up again. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

The second fill of oil looks so much better but a third will be done fore good measure.

Everyone here is so great with all the help. Defiantly helped calm me down when I was in full panic mode. I'm so use to working on cars I kept thinking about blown head gaskets and coolant mixing in the oil. Then had to remind myself there is no coolant in our bikes. Lol.
Hows this for yukky oil...dropped this out of my XS650 that sat for a long time with probable short startup runs..
I changed oil in this engine 5 times before I was really happy with it .
Note the broke filter on the oil strainer on the pickup...this is common with XS650 in particular running thick oil and revving before warmed up.
All fixed now.:smile

Attachments

Reactions: Chattanooga Mark
1 - 20 of 92 Posts