Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, Installed a Rockford Fosgate PBR300-2 on my 2013 CC. Went for a 5 mile ride and fried the kicker speakers. Only the tweeters seem to be working now. It sounded great while it lasted. I left the amp at its factory settings of Gain 6, Freq 500 hz. Hooked up some old 6x9 speakers to check to make sure it was the speakers and they worked fine. What did I do wrong. Is there a better no modification replacement speaker than the kickers???
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have a set of Polk speakers that would fit your fairing if you are interested. They sound good with the amp. I bought them for my trunk and never used them. Tried them in my fairing and liked them but got a good deal on 6.5 Polks and went that route. Pm me if your interested. They are the DXI 525 series.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
6 is really high for the gain, especially for the stock speakers. They are probably only designed to handle 25W. I know many go with the Polk Audio DXi525, but they only handle [email protected] continuous, so you would still have to be careful overdriving them. Gain at 3 max
I had the Focal ISC 130 5.25s and they held the power, but didn't have the richness I wanted. 6.5s were the solution.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Yeah, 6 is smoken' high. I have mine set at 2, but it is the PBR 4x 300. Should be about the same though. Sorry man. I have the Polks in mine. Sounds really good, and that's the 5 1/4's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just found the power rating for the kickers on a crutchfield site and they are only rated at 5-50 watts RMS.So I Guess I just plan smoked em..Live and learn right???

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
One other thing to note: Turn off the auto volume control.

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
One other thing to note: Turn off the auto volume control.
I have heard this....why? just curious
Short answer is the auto volume turns up or adds power going into the amp thus increasing the outgoing power to speakers as well.
That being said many here including myself and the other 3 I've installed are not having issues. I just took it out of my 2011 XC and put it in my 2013 still no issues.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, 6 is smoken' high. I have mine set at 2, but it is the PBR 4x 300. Should be about the same though. Sorry man. I have the Polks in mine. Sounds really good, and that's the 5 1/4's.
Which Polks? I want the same amp and want all four speakers able to flood the seat with music at highway speeds. I'm willing to replace all four speakers but want a set that won't fry as easily as the kickers from the OP.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
48 Posts
You need to turn down the gain I blew up a 6.5" kickers because the gain was to high I replaced them with 6.5" Hawg Wired and turned the gain all the way down.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Gain should be no more than 3 at the most. More than that and you'll start distorting which ruins the speakers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the feedback.I will turn the gain all the way down.I am going to try the 6.5 mm651 polks. Has anyone mounted them without offset adapter?? I still don't understand why I cant use the auto volume control?? Wouldn't that putting the same amount of power to the speakers as simply turn the volume up manually?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Don't turn the gain all the way down. Somewhere in the 3-4 range should work fine. As for the auto volume, once I heard it "could" cause an issue when running an amp, I turned it off. As for why it may cause an issue, it could be that it turns it up and down faster than you can manually and the amp doesn't like it.............

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback.I will turn the gain all the way down.I am going to try the 6.5 mm651 polks. Has anyone mounted them without offset adapter?? I still don't understand why I cant use the auto volume control?? Wouldn't that putting the same amount of power to the speakers as simply turn the volume up manually?
Get the V-Twin Audio speaker adaptors. Expensive but you wont be screwing around trying to get the others to fit. The reason for not using the audio Volume control is while you are riding it can raise volume too high creating distortion that you may not be aware of as you are in the wind. It's just a safe practice to ride with it off but you can experiment. Just be aware of your volume settings and as far as the gain control is concerned, Why have an amp if you are turning the gain to zero. Set it like this:

Start at 0. turn your volume on the head unit to 3/4 playing a good clean son preferably from your aux device (I-Pod).
Turn your gain up slowly till you just hear distortion then back it down till its clear again.
Do this with the bass and treble on the head unit set to 0

That's how RF would have you do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Get the V-Twin Audio speaker adaptors. Expensive but you wont be screwing around trying to get the others to fit. The reason for not using the audio Volume control is while you are riding it can raise volume too high creating distortion that you may not be aware of as you are in the wind. It's just a safe practice to ride with it off but you can experiment. Just be aware of your volume settings and as far as the gain control is concerned, Why have an amp if you are turning the gain to zero. Set it like this:

Start at 0. turn your volume on the head unit to 3/4 playing a good clean son preferably from your aux device (I-Pod).
Turn your gain up slowly till you just hear distortion then back it down till its clear again.
Do this with the bass and treble on the head unit set to 0

That's how RF would have you do it.
Thanks for the feedback slickvic. I wish I was in your state then I could take it for a test spin after I get it going. I may have to wait until spring here because we have snow on the ground.HAHA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts