Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine that admits he rides way to fast (used to anyway) was riding in a clear lane passing a lot of stopped traffic on the freeway when a car pulled into his lane and as he swerved to miss the car his forged crash guard clipped the car and broke the bolts off and the guard went flying. He was doing 75mph+ 120kph+ when it happened.
Seems the crash guard is designed to sheer the bolts on heavy impact or so it seems to be, if the bolts haven't of sheered he would have had a very bad day. The girl in the car was as shaken up as he was and she had no way of knowing he was coming up on her because of his speed and the curve at that point of the road. He's a poor rider doing what he does passing stopped freeway traffic around a curve at 75mph+. The Cross Country Tour only suffered the guard damage and being a '12 it's a forged guard so it'll cost him. They didn't call the police figuring both were in the wrong, him more than her.

No on was hurt except the CCT.

Use your brain out there.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did he pick up the guard? What kind of shape was it in?
By the time he thought to go back it had been ran over a couple hundred times. He said it was on the side of the road in a bunch of pieces and those pieces were heavily ground up. Probably broke apart on impact.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it shook him up enough to slow down.

We just talked last week and he said I know you rarely go over 70, I'm rarely am under it. I know that's changed. He's a co-worker and a very cool guy he just gets carried away.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I know I ride a little aggressive sometimes. But traffic keeps me on high alert. Especially that HOV lane. People in cages seem not to care to turn their head and look.

I have spent a fair bit of time on a bike down there and it's a little scary.... I was coming home from Mesa one night to north Scottsdale moving along at about 75mph and I had to squeeze between a car and the barricade separating the east bound traffic from the west bound. I was in the HOV lane just approaching N Scottsdale Rd... I was just thinking I should probably start moving over to exit and some lady in a Ford F-150 just came into my lane without a signal or anything. I dropped a gear, grabbed a handful and split the gap. When I got to the house I cleaned my shorts and drank a beer.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
There was a time when I didn't really think much about riding in the city one way or the other. It was just something I had to do.

After moving out of them some 15 years ago now; I can still ride in the city but it is anything but fun. It's work. A real job keeping the head on a swivel and reading traffic constantly. I still get into one city or another from time to time and remember why I don't live in one as long as I don't need to for employment which is probably why most people stay in cities.

I guess some people just like the hum of city life and can't get used to a slower pace without that knot in the gut. More power to them. It keeps the smaller towns smaller. :)

I did have one trick I used that seemed to really help. Well two really. Louder pipes and going a little faster than the flow of traffic. By going a little faster I could react and read the traffic much better and faster. Going with the flow with quiet pipes got me cars coming into my lane regularly. I also, of course, stayed in the farthest left lane as possible unless I was coming up to my turn off. Stay in the left part of the lane unless in the fastest most left lane.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There was a time when I didn't really think much about riding in the city one way or the other. It was just something I had to do.

After moving out of them some 15 years ago now; I can still ride in the city but it is anything but fun. It's work. A real job keeping the head on a swivel and reading traffic constantly. I still get into one city or another from time to time and remember why I don't live in one as long as I don't need to for employment which is probably why most people stay in cities.

I guess some people just like the hum of city life and can't get used to a slower pace without that knot in the gut. More power to them. It keeps the smaller towns smaller. :)

I did have one trick I used that seemed to really help. Well two really. Louder pipes and going a little faster than the flow of traffic. By going a little faster I could react and read the traffic much better and faster. Going with the flow with quiet pipes got me cars coming into my lane regularly. I also, of course, stayed in the farthest left lane as possible unless I was coming up to my turn off. Stay in the left part of the lane unless in the fastest most left lane.
You couldn't be more wrong Phoenix is a job to me nothing else. I can't stand living in a big city that's why I already have a retirement home in Payson. Maybe some feel that way I certainly don't. Some live in a small city and bitch that there's no resources there so I guess it evens out. City riding is work and keeping alert I do it five days a week year around and Saturdays for fun and sometimes for work. Small towns stay small because of lack of jobs and services.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
You couldn't be more wrong Phoenix is a job to me nothing else. I can't stand living in a big city that's why I already have a retirement home in Payson. Maybe some feel that way I certainly don't. Some live in a small city and bitch that there's no resources there so I guess it evens out. City riding is work and keeping alert I do it five days a week year around and Saturdays for fun and sometimes for work. Small towns stay small because of lack of jobs and services.
Yeah. This is pretty much my point. For most it's a means to an end (a job) until retirement. Some people just like it though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Its good to hear your buddy avoided a painful incident, he got lucky....I've come across that very same scenario many times where a lane is open and the other lanes are slow moving; There is always a car that will pull out of nowhere into the clear lane. Always!

Great post. I'm sure it will help others to be more mindful.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Vindex, thanks for posting / sharing this .... lucky your friend is OK and damage not so bad .... will your friend change his driving habits ? or not ?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
some riders can be so stupid sometimes. i see guys out there riding in traffic like they are in control. NOT. that girl probably looked , didnt see him, then at 75 mph all of a sudden he was there. not her fault probably. that is why io have a headlight modulator. people definitley see me. i dont care who it annoys. when i ride i assume everyone is going toi pull out in front of me. he is lucky he didnt get killed.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vindex, thanks for posting / sharing this .... lucky your friend is OK and damage not so bad .... will your friend change his driving habits ? or not ?
What he said yesterday he already has.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
if it's the left side I have one.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Good for him! He's lucky that's all it was.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm back from a 7 day trip thru NorCal, NV, AZ, SoCal. I came back north thru LA on the 101. There was a traffic jam and I stayed with traffic - my XR just feels to fat to split lanes and cars are constantly switching lanes. But, While in traffic I was amused at how many bikers split traffic and how fast they are going - one startled me, did not see him coming (with a girl on the back) going at least 50 super loud pipes. He seemed somewhat out of control - swerving back and forth - thought for sure I was gonna see flesh flying.... that poor girl on the back was prob all puckered up tight :wink

Fortunately the traffic broke up pretty quickly - it was early afternoon -

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Moved west

Very recently moved from the east valley to the west.We use to live in the west valley for years before moving east. Do not miss it. But the west valley has grown a lot in the three years we were in the east valley. I was riding my bike to work before we moved from Tempe to Buckeye each day, 50 miles each way. Two hours a day on average of riding through that ----- crazy traffic. Moved into Goodyear, so it is still 18 miles to work, but much shorter and I head west instead of east at the new job. Still getting settled in, so getting use to things. Do NOT miss that east side traffic, reminded me of living in California years ago. Traffic sucks in any big city. This guys incident with the car reminds me of one of my first close calls on the east side coming home from work, had to skirt up between lanes. After that I installed the EBC brake pads up front, they helped my bike, and also told myself "stay on your toes! Stay alive!" Be careful out there people. Also a kind note to those fresh in Arizona from California, no it is NOT legal to split lanes/white line it on your bike here. :nerd

1 - 20 of 48 Posts