Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of the reasons I bought the Gunner, so I could do this whenever I wanted. :D

Vic Lock-n-Ride bags, Cortech Tank bag, Condor swingarm pouch, Emgo portable travel trunk. OR... nothing at all. :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Holy Transformation !thumb up

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Details on the bags, box and mount plate please!
Sure:

The Vic Lock-n-ride saddlebags are overpriced $h1t, as far as I'm concerned. BUT, what I like about them and why I bought them is because the brackets mount to the bags, not to the bike, so they literally leave *NO* footprint at all on the bike when removed, except for two bolts on each side. (Look close at naked photo in first post and you can spot them.) The saddlebags do lock, and the bracket also locks onto the bolts. $700+ from a dealership, even online you won't get much cheaper. But you also won't get any naked-er when they're removed, which is done in seconds.

The trunk is an Emgo (whatever that is?) portable travel trunk, a quick search will show them on Amazon for $65 but I think I paid even less. I know they're not Givi, but... they're $65! And it locks, and it pops right off the baseplate (photo below, on my Scrambler not the gunner) which screws to the rack nice and solid. I've used that trunk a LOT, and never a leak, never a false pop-open, never a problem. Sturdy handle and can swallow a full-face helmet locked inside.

The swing-arm bag was recommended by user Hogeyphenogey, it's the MA54 T&T pouch. Secures great with 4 straps, and has small compartments inside. It fits my travel 1st aid pouch perfectly to the millimeter, so now that doesn't have to take up room in a saddlebag. $20.95 at Rangemonkey website and I think it mighta been free shipping too.

The tank bag is a Cortech mini magnetic tank bag, which seems from a google search to be an older model, but I'm pretty sure they all act the same. Mine has a detachable waterproof map window on top, and a nice suede-y bottom so it doesn't scratch the tank as long as it's clean.

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sure:

The Vic Lock-n-ride saddlebags are overpriced $h1t, as far as I'm concerned. BUT, what I like about them and why I bought them is because the brackets mount to the bags, not to the bike, so they literally leave *NO* footprint at all on the bike when removed, except for two bolts on each side. (Look close at naked photo in first post and you can spot them.) The saddlebags do lock, and the bracket also locks onto the bolts. $700+ from a dealership, even online you won't get much cheaper. But you also won't get any naked-er when they're removed, which is done in seconds.

The trunk is an Emgo (whatever that is?) portable travel trunk, a quick search will show them on Amazon for $65 but I think I paid even less. I know they're not Givi, but... they're $65! And it locks, and it pops right off the baseplate (photo below, on my Scrambler not the gunner) which screws to the rack nice and solid. I've used that trunk a LOT, and never a leak, never a false pop-open, never a problem. Sturdy handle and can swallow a full-face helmet locked inside.

The swing-arm bag was recommended by user Hogeyphenogey, it's the MA54 T&T pouch. Secures great with 4 straps, and has small compartments inside. It fits my travel 1st aid pouch perfectly to the millimeter, so now that doesn't have to take up room in a saddlebag. $20.95 at Rangemonkey website and I think it mighta been free shipping too.

The tank bag is a Cortech mini magnetic tank bag, which seems from a google search to be an older model, but I'm pretty sure they all act the same. Mine has a detachable waterproof map window on top, and a nice suede-y bottom so it doesn't scratch the tank as long as it's clean.

Thanks! What rack did you use for your trunk?

·
Registered
295 Posts
This is one of the reasons I bought the Gunner, so I could do this whenever I wanted. :D

Vic Lock-n-Ride bags, Cortech Tank bag, Condor swingarm pouch, Emgo portable travel trunk. OR... nothing at all. :p
Can I ask a favor? Can you post a side shot or two with the bags installed? I'd like to see how big the bags look on the bike.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Similar story with my Vegas but I can take a passenger and we travel fairly light .

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sure:

how does that mounting plate attatch to the luggage rack?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how does that mounting plate attatch to the luggage rack?
The mounting plate comes with two thin metal rails, basically they will screw through any rack in most any configuration, so I do think it's more or less "universal" as Emgo claims.

The rails seem to hold very securely once tightened in place, I've never had any issue of 'wiggle' on my Triumph or Victory racks.

And Triumph900, I'll aim to get some additional pics sooner than later to post!

·
Registered
295 Posts
The mounting plate comes with two thin metal rails, basically they will screw through any rack in most any configuration, so I do think it's more or less "universal" as Emgo claims.

The rails seem to hold very securely once tightened in place, I've never had any issue of 'wiggle' on my Triumph or Victory racks.

Thanks. I'm getting ready to order bags, and I'm trying to decide which type to get. The pics on the Victory web site don't really offer a good perspective on the size of the bags on the bike.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I'm getting ready to order bags, and I'm trying to decide which type to get. The pics on the Victory web site don't really offer a good perspective on the size of the bags on the bike.
Oh I can't recommend Vic's bags for quality, I think the build is maybe worth 1/2 of what I paid for them. But I love the mounting system and the "disappearing" act that happens when you pop the Lock n Ride bags off.

Still aiming to get you a few pics, but I haven't been getting home before dark now that it's like pitch black right after work lol...

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Similar story with my Vegas but I can take a passenger and we travel fairly light .
My home made setup using Easybrackets is invisible once off.
And cheap as chips too compared with Vic.

·
Registered
295 Posts

MalteseFalcn - could I ask a favor? Could you measure your bags outside dimensions? Victory only lists the H, W, D for the bags with the buckles. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MalteseFalcn - could I ask a favor? Could you measure your bags outside dimensions? Victory only lists the H, W, D for the bags with the buckles. Thanks in advance!
Tri900, sorry for the delay. The bags are approx. 9x10x20, and I'll try and attach some additional photos I took for you of the bike with/without the bags. The little silver bolts are all that remains of the Lock n Ride system when the bags are popped off. That black thing on my tail rack is the baseplate for the portable Emgo travel trunk I use.

Like I've pointed out before, I wouldn't stake my life on the build quality of these bags for the price $$. But I really like the L&R system, because most of the time I ride the Gunner it's naked, not bagging.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Tri900, sorry for the delay. The bags are approx. 9x10x20, and I'll try and attach some additional photos I took for you of the bike with/without the bags. The little silver bolts are all that remains of the Lock n Ride system when the bags are popped off. That black thing on my tail rack is the baseplate for the portable Emgo travel trunk I use.

Like I've pointed out before, I wouldn't stake my life on the build quality of these bags for the price $$. But I really like the L&R system, because most of the time I ride the Gunner it's naked, not bagging.
Thanks for pictures! Bags look pretty good. I agree they cost too much, but the lock and ride is nice. What seat do you have? I have a Drag Specialities seat, which works well but the tan seat looks good on the Gunner.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for pictures! Bags look pretty good. I agree they cost too much, but the lock and ride is nice. What seat do you have? I have a Drag Specialities seat, which works well but the tan seat looks good on the Gunner.
That's a Corbin, their "Hollywood solo seat." Unlike Victory's L&R bags, with the Corbin you actually DO get what you pay for. It's very very firm, but custom-fitted to the bike (and to me, I guess... I had to give them my weight and inseam when I ordered it) and the most comfortable saddle I've ever used, just in terms of back support and long-distance butt-endurance.

I really liked Victory's optional red Gunner seat, in fact the picture with that red seat was among the very first early-release photos of the Gunner I saw and loved a year or so ago. But then I learned it's basically the same seat as the stock one (designed by the devil himself to torture the human tailbone), so I went aftermarket.

Corbin doesn't have red leather (only red vinyl) so I went with Bomber Brown. thumb up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts