Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the front brake on my 2011 Jackpot makes a loud rubbing noise when fully engaged at a stop. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment that can be made to the brake or should I just replace the stock brake pads?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm confused. Your brakes are making a noise when already stopped? Are you sure you worded that correctly?

·
Premium Member
13,319 Posts
probably not. The noise is at the very end of the stop
Just out of curiosity, and I hope you don't take this wrong, what bikes have you owned before this one?

I ask because all makes and models have their peculiarities. Unlike a car where one just buys it, drives it, and does basic maintenance on it; a motorcycle requires much more attention. Much like a private airplane where constant inspection is needed.

I'm not being condescending; just trying to get a handle on your experience.

·
Registered
442 Posts
i bet your rotors are glazed. get a scotch brite pad and some chlorine free brake cleaner and go to town on your rotors on both sides of each (use the cleaner as a lubricant). Then, once fully scuffed and clean, re-bed your pads using one of many recommended techniques in a safe area. should help with the sound you are experiencing, if at least reducing it.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
...i bet your rotors are glazed...
I bet you switched to a half helmet and are hearing brake noise for the first time. :crzy::ltr:

·
Premium Member
13,319 Posts
I bet you switched to a half helmet and are hearing brake noise for the first time. :crzy::ltr:
Hey CR!! Where you beeeeeen frijoli? Thought we were all on our own here but once in a while I'd see an iPod add and then it was gone so I figured one of you guys were checkin' in occasionally. :D

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just out of curiosity, and I hope you don't take this wrong, what bikes have you owned before this one?

I ask because all makes and models have their peculiarities. Unlike a car where one just buys it, drives it, and does basic maintenance on it; a motorcycle requires much more attention. Much like a private airplane where constant inspection is needed.

I'm not being condescending; just trying to get a handle on your experience.
Are you kidding me? This is a brand new bike with 1200 miles.
I traded a Harley Superglide and have been riding other Harleys and Kawasaki's for years. Dealer says problem is due to dust and needs to be blown out.

·
Premium Member
13,319 Posts
Are you kidding me? This is a brand new bike with 1200 miles.
I traded a Harley Superglide and have been riding other Harleys and Kawasaki's for years. Dealer says problem is due to dust and needs to be blown out.
Nope. Not kidding at all. Sounds like you have more than enough experience to answer this question so it leaves me wondering why you asked it.

I tried to be polite but since you have an attitude; there's not much more I, or anyone on this forum, can do for you since you know everything already.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope. Not kidding at all. Sounds like you have more than enough experience to answer this question so it leaves me wondering why you asked it.

I tried to be polite but since you have an attitude; there's not much more I, or anyone on this forum, can do for you since you know everything already.
Got some reasonable suggestions from others on the forum and from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I replaced my front pads today. Pretty easy. The pin on the rear of the front caliper came out easy. The front one had a C ring attached to it. I took out the C ring and pads are in. Cannot get C ring back on. Are these necessary as the pins seem very secure?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Use the retaining ring, it's there for a reason. Brake components, particularly pads, experience a lot of high frequency vibration. The retaining pin is not something you want working its way loose during a run.

When you say you "cannot get the c ring back on" what exactly is the symptom? Is it not holding in place once you get it on... or something else?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Actual name I have found out is "retaining ring". Only one was in and whoever changed pads last time mangled this one. Called local Victory dealer and of course they have to order it. Harley's Brembos do not use this ring. Need to pick up a few somewhere

·
Registered
442 Posts
Cool beans. Better to have that area of the bike in spec :)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Has anyone found a replacement that I can buy at a auto parts store or another motorcycle dealer. 2 Weeks seems a long time to wait or the rings

1 - 20 of 29 Posts