Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few months, when I apply my front brakes they do not stop the bike smoothly like my rear brakes. The best way I could describe the front braking are they stop the bike "jerky." The jerking motion is enough that I feel the front shocks compress during the jerking. I have an appointment next week with a mechanic but would like to understand some possible causes so that I can make a better decision for the repairs. Thanks for your assistance.

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
I like to try the cheap and easy things first, so here's what I'd do....
+ Sounds like you might have something on your front discs, so take brake cleaner or alcohol and wipe them off.
+ Rub them with a very fine sandpaper or a Scotchbrite pad.
+ Remove the pads and rub them on a piece of sandpaper that's on a flat surface.
+ Wipe pads and discs down with brake cleaner again to get rid of and debris from the sanding.
+ If you still have the crappy OEM pads, this is a good time to move up to EBC HH pads - they'll make for a big improvement in stopping power.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I put the EBC HH pads on mine a couple of months ago and Ricz is right, they will stop you in a hurry! The only downside is that the EBC's are kind of noisy where the OEM's were not.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking my brake pads need replacing and have read that the EBC HH pads are much better than the OEM ones. I'll write back next week some time to let you know what turned out to be the problem(s).

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Was the bike new or second ? Maybe some oil was spilled on your pads, so yes please change them ... I loved the EBC pads, but they did not last very long, and they were noisy at the last meters of a stop,

So i bought lyndall brake pads, and they work the same (maybe better) as EBC, but last longer .... And no noise at the last meter on stopping, (i think in the rain , but i forgotten)

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Hmmmm reading back my post it sounds confusing ....

Ha ha, but i ment no harm

Smile

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I replaced my oem brake pads with Lyndall Gold from Witchdoctors a year or so ago and love them. As quiet as the oem pads but with superior grip and stopping power.

·
12,970 Posts
JJKJR
be careful of the dealers BS. He might try to tell you rotors are warped when there not. Stand in front of bike and with flash light look down at the calipers you should be able to see the thickness of the pads

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VJ, I truly understand the dealer BS, that's why I wrote here first so I could have some possible ideas of what might be going on. Thanks again to all of you for your comments/suggestions.

·
12,970 Posts
say maybe the what's called buttons on your rotor are gummed up. I believe there is 9 of them. There the round circle that holds the center of the rotor to the outer rotor. If you do the brake clean squirt some in each of them to make sure there free

·
Registered
216 Posts
Don't forget to change out your brake fluid (and do a good job bleeding them).
I did mine recently and it made a huge difference in braking!

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
say maybe the what's called buttons on your rotor are gummed up. I believe there is 9 of them. There the round circle that holds the center of the rotor to the outer rotor. If you do the brake clean squirt some in each of them to make sure there free
Never thought about that ... Good one

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Brake fluid should never see a second anniversary.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Brake fluid should never see a second anniversary.
Especially with speed bleeders, makes the job quick and easy!

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Anyone who hasn't installed a set of Speed Bleeders has got to be a masochist. They make bleeding so stupid easy and simple. Don't need to bother Pretty Wife to assist.

·
12,970 Posts
make sure you don't let the master cylinder dry, Cover all paint Dot 3 will eat the paint superfast

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the problem is the rotors. VJ the little "buttons" had indeed gotten tight over time. Kevin X in High Springs is my mechanic and we tried to dislodge those buttons with a rubber mallet. There was a slight improvement but I drove the bike long enough with the problem that the rotors were finally damaged enough that they need to be replaced. I appreciate all the member's advice. JJKJR.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
VJ = member of the month award ....... 7 hail merries on your knees

Smile ... Good find VJ

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Whoever invented these discs probably has retired to some resort island because if you neglect them they [the buttons] freeze up and then once they do, it is just a matter of time before they warp and then you have to buy new ones to replace them. They cost over $200.00 a piece. A gift that keeps giving.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'll have to add the little button things to my list for the spring.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts