Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a whir/whine/buzz noise when you lean into a corner? It sounds like it comes from the front wheel/brake area but of course its hard to pin-point it at speed. It is louder when leaning left than right, and it is a constant sound.

I've also got a bit of break "rub" when I push the bike, like when parking or moving it in the garage. I never heard that on my Yamaha, so I'm not sure if that is normal for the KP ?

I've got 22k miles, not sure when the previous owner changed break pads. I might just do that regardless.

·
13,188 Posts
Bad wheel bearings. Have a buddy hold the bars and see if you can wiggle the front wheel.
Check axle to see if its tight.
Grab a hold of the break rotor and see if it wiggles. If so floaters are bad.
Put a straight edge on rotor and see if its flat. Check all the way around.
Check front fender bolts.
You should get a little or slight break pad rub sound in the garage.
What have you done to the front of the bike.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Bad tire can also cause the issue. A loose axle may also, allowing the rotor to rub the pads unevenly...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't done anything to the front of the bike since I bought it.
It does have Lindby bars and Victory lowers on it.

I had the bike up on a jack and had my son hold the bars and I tried to wiggle the wheel, thinking it could be the in the bearings. I didn't feel any wiggle. But since I only get the sounds when leaned over and that puts pressure on the bearing (I would assume), it could still be that.

I'll go through the checks you described tomorrow and see what I find.

Edit: Tires are pretty new, and "look" really good.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I have seen brand new tires that were defective. No visual way to tell

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a tad of brake rub when parking in the garage when the wheel is turned a tad but nothing major. My Yamaha did it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
13,188 Posts
So you have new tire and now you have sound. Bet your tire is a E3 and what your hearing is the tire groves growling

·
Registered
586 Posts
Anyone else have a whir/whine/buzz noise when you lean into a corner? It sounds like it comes from the front wheel/brake area but of course its hard to pin-point it at speed. It is louder when leaning left than right, and it is a constant sound.
I hear the same thing on my '08 Kingpin with 10K mi. Only notice leaning left at about 30mph. Interested in learning your solution.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not a new tire, hadn't heard it when I first bought the bike. Had 19k miles when I bought it end of May, I've got 22.5k miles now and I've been hearing it for the last 1k miles or so.

Mostly left, and much more faint to the right.

·
Registered
545 Posts

I've also got a bit of break "rub" when I push the bike, like when parking or moving it in the garage. I never heard that on my Yamaha, so I'm not sure if that is normal for the KP ?

I've got 22k miles, not sure when the previous owner changed break pads. I might just do that regardless.
Not to worry... the brake pads are most likely rubbing a little... just be sure to have an 1/8" of pad and your good to go.

·
13,188 Posts
So maybe its your tire wearing out check the tread depth

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spoke with the service department at Rod's today. They think it is probably some cupping on the left side of the front tire. I'll stop down there next week and have it checked.

I didn't think about it until today, but the left side of the tire will wear faster than the right, left turns are longer than right turns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts