Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while ago I stated to get a vibation in the front end. I first noticed the mirrors were vibrating and then noticed it in the grips and my windshield I could see was going up and down. I thought the front tire was cupped but did not appear to be but replaced the tire anyhow. Still the same. Now what I have discovered that my front forks seemed to be jammed or stuck when fully up. I have to actually put on the front brake and push forward to get them to work. This seems to be the problem. Has anyone out there had this problem and how did you resolve it.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
A little while ago I stated to get a vibation in the front end. I first noticed the mirrors were vibrating and then noticed it in the grips and my windshield I could see was going up and down. I thought the front tire was cupped but did not appear to be but replaced the tire anyhow. Still the same. Now what I have discovered that my front forks seemed to be jammed or stuck when fully up. I have to actually put on the front brake and push forward to get them to work. This seems to be the problem. Has anyone out there had this problem and how did you resolve it.

How many miles on your bike? Have you ever serviced your forks? Any signs of leaking seals? Fork oil is like any oil with time and temperature it will break down. It sounds like your forks are in need of a service.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Belt tension?

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
I'm thinking three things here: Forks binding because of mis-alignment, front tire out of balance. loose steering head bearings.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Forks binding is most likely going to be misalignment (or bent fork) or lack of service. How many miles on the bike? How many miles since the last fork service? Has the bike ever been down? These answers will help narrow down the possibilities.

A quick and dirty method to align your forks is to loosen the axle and lower triple pinch bolts then bounce the front end good and hard a couple times. This can frequently get things back in line. If that doesn't work you will need to pull it apart and reassemble making sure that everything is properly lined up.

As was said earlier, fork oil is oil and subject to break down just like engine oil. It needs to be replaced periodically. If your oil is low due to leaky seals or broken down to the point where it's no longer providing proper lubrication that could cause binding. If it's that bad, it's likely that you've damaged your fork bushings so those will probably have to be replaced as well (usually not too expensive parts wise). If it's REALLY bad it's possible that worn bushings could also have damaged the chrome plating on the fork legs so hopefully things haven't progressed that far.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, I will look at the alignment of the forks. There is 35000km on the bike
Its never been down but I did hut a small pothole a couple of months ago but dont think that would have done it

·
Registered
611 Posts
Thanks, I will look at the alignment of the forks. There is 35000km on the bike
Its never been down but I did hut a small pothole a couple of months ago but dont think that would have done it
It could have. Any impact to the front end can cause the forks to twist in the triples. Has the fork ever been serviced?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bike is 2012 and forks have never been serviced. Is there a link to where I can see how to properly see how to align the forks.

·
13,262 Posts
loosen the tripple tree pinch bolts that hold the forks in place.
With the wheel and fender in place that should straighten the forks out.
I think there is something wrong inside the forks. Low on fluid or bushing binding or forks bent

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
If you loosen all the pinch bolts holding the forks in place, won't the weight of the bike suddenly cause the triple tree to slide down the forks possibly damaging something? If you had the bike on a stand or jack with no weight on the front wheel, then wouldn't loosening all the pinch bolts result in the forks sliding down out of the triple tree possibly causing damage? I don't think I understand what you are suggesting be done. What am I missing?

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
There's a ridge that will prevent that from happening Vinish.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Go back to my earlier post. Loosen the lower triples, not the upper (or vice versa).

At 3 years old, unless it's been a garage queen it's whole life, it'd be a good idea to have the forks serviced. At the very least an oil change but given your issues a rebuild may not be a bad idea.

As far as aligning your forks, the "right" way to do it versus the bounce method I posted earlier is below:

Lift and support the front of the bike.
Remove fender
Remove brake calipers
Remove front wheel
Check forks for bends - this can be done visually or with a dial indicator depending on what tools you have available
Loosen lower triple pinch bolts
Loosen upper triple pinch bolts on one side only
Insert axle through loose fork leg
Adjust height of the loose fork and rotation of both until the axle slides easily through both fork bottoms (there will be some slight resistance due to drag but it should be minimal, any tapping or persuasion indicates lack of proper alignment)
Once the axle is easily inserted through both forks, tighten all triple clamp pinch bolts
Double check that axle is still easy to insert through both
Reassemble all other components

Given the need to adjust height and rotation at the same time, and then hold things in place while tightening the pinch bolts, it's helpful to have a second person to assist for this job.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
There's a ridge that will prevent that from happening Vinish.
Ahhh, good to know. Thanks. I figured I was missing something.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The top of the forks have a lip so the forks cannnot go past the upper triple tree pinch brackets.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sooflie
Thank you for that response. I will do it step by step and report back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts