Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I am capable or not but have a question. I feel my front shocks seem a little lite when I come to a stop. The front dives more than I would think it should. I may try and get my shocks rebuilt over the winter. Is there anything special I can or should do to the forks IE: special oil, stronger springs etc? Just want the front to feel as plush as possible. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
There is a few threads on this forum about changing fork oil and rebuild ... Use the search button .

·
13,048 Posts
Not sure if I am capable or not but have a question. I feel my front shocks seem a little lite when I come to a stop. The front dives more than I would think it should. I may try and get my shocks rebuilt over the winter. Is there anything special I can or should do to the forks IE: special oil, stronger springs etc? Just want the front to feel as plush as possible. Thoughts?
Seeing how yours is a 06 its probably time for new fork fluid.
So you know the front end is supposed to dive as you call it for fast stopping

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seeing how yours is a 06 its probably time for new fork fluid.
So you know the front end is supposed to dive as you call it for fast stopping
I know it should dive. I have never owned a big bike before and I am just unsure of certain characteristics. Like going over certain objects my front just seems like it doesn't soak it up as well as it could. I have only owned the bike a few months and it has 4k miles on it.

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
That's awfully low mileage to have to rebuild the forks. Have someone with a similar bike ride yours before you decide to dive into those forks. Not shocks, those are in the rear.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I meant forks. I am a moron lol.

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
That's awfully low mileage to have to rebuild the forks. Have someone with a similar bike ride yours before you decide to dive into those forks. Not shocks, those are in the rear.
yeah 4000 miles on an '06...........some people just dont ride!:eek
Im off for a ride:smile

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the bike was stored for a while and the dust seals are showing some signs of lite cracking. When I go over an abrupt edge the bike feels like it hits hard and rattles a bit. Maybe I expect to much from the forks. I can tell you when I am 2 up the bike does feel somewhat better.

I just had an idea. Perhaps it has to do with the smaller tire that is on the front?

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
Well the bike was stored for a while and the dust seals are showing some signs of lite cracking. When I go over an abrupt edge the bike feels like it hits hard and rattles a bit. Maybe I expect to much from the forks. I can tell you when I am 2 up the bike does feel somewhat better.

I just had an idea. Perhaps it has to do with the smaller tire that is on the front?
Does it feel like the forks are bottoming out??
heres a trick..put a zip-tie around your fork tube then go for a ride,
the zip-tie will remain to indicate wherever the furthest fork travel has been.
5.1 inches or 130mm is total travel so if you lean your bike on the sidestand to where the front wheel leaves the ground and have an assistant measure 130mm up from the fork legs lowest point then compare, then youre gonna have a better idea of what range your forks are travelling through .
These bikes are sprung fairly soft really as they're a cruiser, you could go to slightly heavier fork oil or increase the air gap you change the fork oil, both measures together will firm the forks up a little without making them harsh.
I used 10W full synthetic fork oil with a 135mm air gap last time and I'll experiment with 15W and 140mm next time I reckon, as I ride fairly hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some people over-G their shocks when ratchet strapping their bikes down to a trailer. The fronts are most vulnerable to this condition making them leak and may be the reason for yours feeling sub par.

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
Yeah thats a good point töo, gard.
Didnt think of that one....
Mine was strapped down twice recently, once by the owner of the hound that rammed my Vegas, bringing us down in more ways than one! And again by the M/c carrier that freighted it to Brisbane Vic for insurance repairs.
Sealmated mine again the other day and yet again my homemade tool fixed the weep!
Gonna be due for a fork oil change again soon and I recently scored a bike lift on special at Supercheap Auto for a lousy $84! Could be a good time to do my XC front wheel experiment töo :)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

You can make the fork much better by adding Cartridge emulators to it when you go through it. They really work. I run them on practically all of my bikes because I live on a washboard dirt road. Got tired having to go very slow or have parts falling off the bike. Now I have to remind myself i'm on loose gravel, slow down for the turn. They make that much of a difference.

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
You can make the fork much better by adding Cartridge emulators to it when you go through it. They really work. I run them on practically all of my bikes because I live on a washboard dirt road. Got tired having to go very slow or have parts falling off the bike. Now I have to remind myself i'm on loose gravel, slow down for the turn. They make that much of a difference.
I may look into those too...sort of like a restriction valve are they?
seen a post on em way back..coulda been you Joe?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some people over-G their shocks when ratchet strapping their bikes down to a trailer. The fronts are most vulnerable to this condition making them leak and may be the reason for yours feeling sub par.
This is something I never thought of til you mentioned it. I am fairly sure the bike was transported to Alaska from Oregon and even perhaps back. The bike is in perfect condition and paint impeccable. All except for 1 area. The front right fork. It looks as though something rubbed against it a bit and chipped some of the paint. I do not notice any oil on the forks. I guess maybe I'm an idiot because I have never checked them to see what they are at fluid wise. Will look in the manual and check them. Could being transported so much cause issue in the forks?

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
This is something I never thought of til you mentioned it. I am fairly sure the bike was transported to Alaska from Oregon and even perhaps back. The bike is in perfect condition and paint impeccable. All except for 1 area. The front right fork. It looks as though something rubbed against it a bit and chipped some of the paint. I do not notice any oil on the forks. I guess maybe I'm an idiot because I have never checked them to see what they are at fluid wise. Will look in the manual and check them. Could being transported so much cause issue in the forks?
not checkable mate. least not till you pull em down and then youll be flushing and reoiling them anyway.
gotta go..,.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I may look into those too...sort of like a restriction valve are they?
seen a post on em way back..coulda been you Joe?
Sort of, more like a tun-able relief valve.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not checkable mate. least not till you pull em down and then youll be flushing and reoiling them anyway.
gotta go..,.
This site is great and you sir are awesome.

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
I have seen this gold valve on another thread, it was an austrlian member who bought these valves for his vic, he also fitted them, with pictures and everything..... i tried to use the search mode on my phone, but no luck .... It would be interesting if this fits, with a bit of fabrication ...

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts