Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like some input on whether or not this should be a concern?? Never seen any damage on my tires yet, and am not sure if this enough to need to be replaced.

TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well since you are only on 2 wheels if you think it might be a concern replace the tire it is alot cheaper than having a blow out. Hard to tell from picture if it just a surface mark or if it has some depth to it.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Would like some input on whether or not this should be a concern?? Never seen any damage on my tires yet, and am not sure if this enough to need to be replaced.

TIA
Not sure what I'm looking for here. Are you concerned about that little paper cut looking blemish?

If so, I wouldn't. Look how think the rubber is in that area compared to your tread groove. That would have to be one deep paper cut. If it's holding air, you'll be fine.

I don't know what kind of magnets are in these Dunlops, but I hadn't had a flat for several years and I've picked up two healthy fastners in my first 5k miles on my XR. The first wasn't long enough to punch through the belts, so I just pulled it out with some pliers and went about my business. The next one I pulled a few weeks later, left a gapping hole and rushing air. I plugged it and it's been fine now for a thousand miles or so.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...Hard to tell from picture if it just a surface mark or if it has some depth to it.
Ya I know, I was trying to get a good enough pic to show what depth there is. It's not deep at all, can barely get my freshly cut fingernail into it if that helps LOL.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what I'm looking for here. Are you concerned about that little paper cut looking blemish?

If so, I wouldn't. Look how think the rubber is in that area compared to your tread groove. That would have to be one deep paper cut. If it's holding air, you'll be fine.
Yep, that's it. It barely scratched the surface, but I really don't know at this point what is safe and what isn't. Still wet behind me 'ol ears. Thanks for the input...I'm going ridding. 75degrees, clear skies, and I ain't wasting this day.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Yep, that's it. It barely scratched the surface, but I really don't know at this point what is safe and what isn't. Still wet behind me 'ol ears. Thanks for the input...I'm going ridding. 75degrees, clear skies, and I ain't wasting this day.
If your tires are not worn, which they appear to be in good shape, I wouldn't worry about it. If the tires are nearing their end, and you get a cut in them, then considering a replacement might be justified. As others pointed out, from the picture you've taken it doesn't look severe. But if you think it's damaged the integrity of the tire, then replace it.

How much thread depth do you have left? What's the deepest part of the cut?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a tread gauge CrossRoads :( . But there is 14xx miles on the tires. Tread is nice and deep, the scratch is not. I wasn't too worried about it, but I wanted to make an informed decision whether or not to ride. I just didn't know to what degree something like this was cause for concern. I believe I'm OK though unless there's something else you can think of.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I don't have a tread gauge CrossRoads :( . But there is 14xx miles on the tires. Tread is nice and deep, the scratch is not. I wasn't too worried about it, but I wanted to make an informed decision whether or not to ride. I just didn't know to what degree something like this was cause for concern. I believe I'm OK though unless there's something else you can think of.
The thread is there for you to wear down - does not provide structural support for the tire. So, it sounds like you're good to go. thumb up

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As always...thanks for the input. This board rocks!

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I'm a teacher so I know the old saying about "There's no stupid question", but...

Ok, that wasn't nice.. but you do have to worry about bug splats on your visor, the disruption in air flow/turbulance can cause high speed wobble.

Glad to help.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I'm a teacher so I know the old saying about "There's no stupid question", but...

Ok, that wasn't nice.. but you do have to worry about bug splats on your visor, the disruption in air flow/turbulance can cause high speed wobble.

Glad to help.
LOL :ltr:

Be aware if riding on a full moon... you have to lean against the gravitational pull. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
easiest fix would be to find your next bike rally with a burnout pit...smoke that scratch right off!! <--for safety reasons of course cheerscheers

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Omega I have to commend you on your recovery attempt.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Dark siding has already been used and tends to cause WAY too much drama on motorcycle forums. Since the smoking burnout scratch removal would require front wheel drive maybe this should be referred to as "Dim Siding".

No offense Omega...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts