Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front tires (E3) are wearing weird , kinda like a ridge down the middle. I am looking to replace them. My rears I replaced last year with another E3. Looking to change.
Also what pressures do people run. ?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
You will get lots of recommendations on tire brand. I like Metzler 888 on my Harley and my wife's VTX. Haven't had to buy tires yet for any of the XCT's. As for pressure, I run 38 psi front/40 psi back regardless of the tire brand.

G'day,

Vinish

·
13,177 Posts
dennis kirk has the Elite 4 for $209 free shipping. Think it would be good. Don't think my Avon cobra is going to make 15K
40 psi

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
40/40

e3

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dennis kirk has the Elite 4 for $209 free shipping. Think it would be good. Don't think my Avon cobra is going to make 15K
40 psi
E4 released ? I may go with that .

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
40 psi
I run my front e3 at 40 psi and people tell me that is why mine worn, I don't buy that

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
I run my front e3 at 40 psi and people tell me that is why mine worn, I don't buy that
That wear pattern would indicate to me you do more straight line Freeway riding than carving through the hills.
My wear indicators generally show on the sides before the middle.
Particularly so on the front tyre, my rear Nightdragon wears the same all round but it's illegal after 5k miles.
You fellas stateside can't complain of tyre wear, if you were Downunder you'd get much less. (must be from riding upside-down)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Front tyre

Next front tire/tyre I want to try and run, will be the larger size like KevinX did. My XRs has some slight custom things done to it, so I think it would be one more thing to make people think "what the hell is different about that Victory." Besides I think maybe with a larger front tire on the bike it might make the tire last longer because it would be spreading the load onto a larger rubber contact patch.:grin

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That wear pattern would indicate to me you do more straight line Freeway riding than carving through the hills.
My wear indicators generally show on the sides before the middle.
Particularly so on the front tyre, my rear Nightdragon wears the same all round but it's illegal after 5k miles.
You fellas stateside can't complain of tyre wear, if you were Downunder you'd get much less. (must be from riding upside-down)
The exact opposite. I do more riding in the mountains than highway

·
Registered
471 Posts
Jim, my E3's did the same thing, the front wore a ridge down the center, I assumed the harder compound in the center held up while the soft sides disappeared. The back tire cupped so badly on the edges it was unnerving going into corners. I ran them at 40 rear, 38 front. I replaced them at 13,200 miles with Metzler 888's which I run at 42 rear, 41.5 front. So far, so good on the Metz, they stick like glue, are very smooth but only have 4,000 miles on them. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I don't think the front E3's have a harder compound in the middle, just the back. I am getting a new set of E3's put on at the end of the week. After 10k miles the front still looks great but the rear is "waffled" on the sides and at the wear bars in the middle. I ride 2-up most of the time and keep my pressure at 39 for the front and 42 for the back.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jim, my E3's did the same thing, the front wore a ridge down the center, I assumed the harder compound in the center held up while the soft sides disappeared. The back tire cupped so badly on the edges it was unnerving going into corners. I ran them at 40 rear, 38 front. I replaced them at 13,200 miles with Metzler 888's which I run at 42 rear, 41.5 front. So far, so good on the Metz, they stick like glue, are very smooth but only have 4,000 miles on them. Time will tell.
I think I may go with the E4 try them out. The best tire I ever had was on my Honda Vtx, Michelin commander II

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
JP , is your center raised or is it actually worn "in" . If the center appears "raised" its the sides of the tire that are worn , if this is the case you need to RAISE your pressure by 2-3 PSI . This will help keep the side from collapsing during cornering thus keeping wear to a minimum . When I raised my E3 presure to 42-43 in the front it made a vast difference . Good luck Brother !

·
Registered
970 Posts
I always run my tire pressures on the high side of the recommendations for a loaded bike.

Manufacturer specs are a compromise between safety, wear and comfort. Our roads being fairly smooth I don't have a problem with rough rides on 95% of the places I travel. Also remember that as you ride the pressure is going to increase anyway just due to the heat being absorbed from the road and that generated within the tire itself. Once up to temperature a pound or two won't make that much difference. On a day to day basis you don't control that unless you are checking and adjusting every hour or two. Racers on a track may need to take that into consideration but I doubt anybody else needs to. If it did we'd all notice variances due to pressure depending on the time of day. Especially those in the deep south.

Try an experiment and see for yourself. Check the pressure of your cool tire prior to a ride and then again of the loaded tire when riding in the middle of a hot day. Pressure swings may surprise you if you don't have a TPMS. Once into the proper zone I don't think a pound or two makes very that much difference or we'd all have problems.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JP , is your center raised or is it actually worn "in" . If the center appears "raised" its the sides of the tire that are worn , if this is the case you need to RAISE your pressure by 2-3 PSI . This will help keep the side from collapsing during cornering thus keeping wear to a minimum . When I raised my E3 presure to 42-43 in the front it made a vast difference . Good luck Brother !
Well i think the wear on my tires started before i raised the pressure. I rode them at 38 for a long time then raised them. But the wear pattern had already started. And yes, i corner a LOT down here in the mountains. I am going to replace the front E3 with a E4.

·
13,177 Posts
Don't why anyone would run a E3 when the newest improved tire is the E4.
I have checked the air a few times after a long 250 or 300 mile ride. Yes the air pressure goes up by 2 to 3 pounds. I have checked before leaving and its right at 40 psi. I think I have a good gauge

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
My front E3 is wearing just as described ridged in the middle and i have started to feel a slight hopping sensation at most speeds. I was hoping to get the rest of this season i only have 13,000 on the tires. i've always kept the tires at 40 psi front and rear. I read the manual that calls for 38 in the front so i did lower the psi 2 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
I'm running an 18" E3 OEM tyre on front of my Vegas, on an XC wheel.
I run 3-4 lbs over recommended pressure.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My "for what its worth" info on tires I have got over the years from tire manufactures. Whatever the vehicle manufacture has posted is a "recommendation" based on what that manufacture has found to give the best ride of said vehicle. It will give you handling and wear that is um tolerable. the tire manufacturer has the poop on what makes their tire perform the best in rain,dry and over all mileage. Vehicle manufacturer wants you to get a smooth ride, tire manufacture wants you to be a repeat customer because product performed for you.
My RSV had E3 on it when I bought it. Previous owner must have run them tires @ like 36-38 psi. Did not get 8k out of them. The rear got to where in a corner the feathered edges would "howl". I put Michelin Commander 2's on it and ran manufactures recommend press of 40 single and 42 2 up and loaded and got better than 15k out of them. Dont know if Michelin makes any that fit the XC.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't why anyone would run a E3 when the newest improved tire is the E4.
I have checked the air a few times after a long 250 or 300 mile ride. Yes the air pressure goes up by 2 to 3 pounds. I have checked before leaving and its right at 40 psi. I think I have a good gauge
I am having the E4 put on today. Different tread. They have a tread running right down the middle on these. We shall see how they wear

1 - 20 of 43 Posts