Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate the big clumsy looking signals on the front of my bike. I am hoping to add either some mini stalk lights or led light strips. My question is this. Do they get 12volts so I need a load equalizer? I am really leaning towards something like this to install on my bullet fairing.

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Dynamics-LB05R-Signal-Sequential/dp/B0041QGTB8

They say they are 12 volt

Thanks for any and all help or thoughts.

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
Hi Cali Phil, please see description page for these lights, it says no need for a load equalizer , I think it would look nice.

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did see that thank you. Even though I read it I wasn't sure if the stock signals were actually 12 volts. I don't want to goof something up. I think they will look good also. I may just make up my own mounts for them if they don't look right on the fairing. I was also throwing around something possibly bendable. You can get some LED signals very inexpensive on Amazon but I am unsure how much you can trust budget parts.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes I did see that thank you. Even though I read it I wasn't sure if the stock signals were actually 12 volts. I don't want to goof something up. I think they will look good also. I may just make up my own mounts for them if they don't look right on the fairing. I was also throwing around something possibly bendable. You can get some LED signals very inexpensive on Amazon but I am unsure how much you can trust budget parts.
Might want to check to see if your bike has an ACR I think it's called, if you remove your lights and install these LEDs you could damage that module, about $300 to replace.
It's the self cancel module.
I thought I had done that on my Vegas, turns out I don't have one on my 2013

·
13,048 Posts
Keep in mind the power wire color on the left side is not the same color on the right side.

Use a meter to check for power its a must

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bike does have an auto cancel. VJ you say the power wire is different. What about the ground? I have an ohm meter but I find it odd that this isn't just straight forward disconnect and connect.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Do some research before you even disconnect and start testing. So many people have destroyed those relays changing signals out.
There's a lot of info out there

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do some research before you even disconnect and start testing. So many people have destroyed those relays changing signals out.
There's a lot of info out there
You say this and yet I have a hard time coming up with all the info written in a manner that any dolt can read. From what I have gathered is the right side signal is reverse of the left or something like that. I also am not going to just do i without having all my ducks in a row. I think it is mind boggling that a simple turn signal is so involved. I will continue gathering as much info as I can. I think Witchdoctors has a video.

·
13,048 Posts
Always use meter when doing any electric on any bike. Check for power and recheck.
Yes the power wires are not the same for both sides.
That means the grounds are not the same.
Now the back end of the bike is different

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all your input and help VJ, Bully and Andre!

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
Good luck mate.

It is not very complicated, just use common sense, measure twice, cut once, so that goes same for electricity, a multimeter is cheap and fun to learn something, PS there are special automotive multimeters & easy to use...

See below tail lights I made myself, but I had to use a equalizer

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well my turn signals will be here today. I am hoping to get some clarification. VisionJohnny said to use a multi meter to test the lines. I'm sorry but I have never used a multi-meter and am hoping for some guidance. Multi meters have several selections on the dial. Which selection will I use? Also when I check will the power be on to see the power surge when it flashes and sends power? I am assuming I would use some kind of a ground other than the wire from the signal to know which wire is actually powered correct?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I just watched a bunch of videos and from what I have gathered is I will use the 20v DC setting on the meter with the connectors plugged in normally.
The red doesn't go into the 10amp plug.
Guess I could find a ground in the bucket or to the battery? Then touch the wires with the signal on to see which one is the positive. Yes?

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
Soooo I went to YouTube and looked at a good video to see for yourself... But most was irrelevant... But then I found
THIS
https://youtu.be/wLVu2HYtOhA

hope you like it...

Anyway, I bought a cheap automotive multimeter ... But you can do it with a 12volt test-pen...

Anybody can do it

UNI-T UT107 LCD Automotive Handheld Multimeter AC/DC voltmeter Tester Meters with DWELL,RPM,Battery Check
http://s.aliexpress.com/VNZrQBnE
(from AliExpress Android)

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure I can do it. People just have me freaked out about burning out the ACM. The main thing I want to know is if when I am checking the wires do I use a common ground and then check the wires? I have a couple multi meters. They were my dads and I have never needed to use one until now.

·
13,048 Posts
yes common ground will work. The frame or a bolt that screws into frame or into fender rail.
The only reason I told you to use meter is because with Victories not all power wires are the same. One wrong move and you have spent $70 bucks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well 70 bucks aint bad. I was thinking I read hundreds. I feel confident now. I am so freaking anal it's ridiculous. I read directions and get very confused most of the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts