Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well....finally had time to get my bike to the dealer to take care of my belt chirp. They said the belt was loose. They adjusted it and said I was good to go. I leave the dealer, and WOW sounds great!!! No crazy noises at all. So....I'm almost home (60 miles away), and I now notice a LOUD whine coming from the belt/rear wheel. Called a buddy of mine, who has been wrenching on bikes for years. He says they adjusted the belt to tight. He has all the tools and know how so he is going to help me get it right since I have lost some confidence in the dealer.

Now I have a completely separate noise coming from the front wheel. I can't really describe it, but it is LOUD a low speeds. Sounds like a howling halloween sound effect. Its coming from the front wheel. Searched the forums and can't really find anything that describes the noise. Any ideas??????

Getting a little annoyed at this point. I've had the bike for about 3 weeks and about 400 miles worth of riding. First a chirp, then a whine, now a whine and some wierd sound right out of a horror movie. Bike has 8,000 miles.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Check your front brake pads. Since you got the bike used you never know if the original owner was tough on brakes or not. If they're shot and your state has safety inspections the dealer should have replaced them before selling it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your front brake pads. Since you got the bike used you never know if the original owner was tough on brakes or not. If they're shot and your state has safety inspections the dealer should have replaced them before selling it.
I did check out the pads. They seem to have plenty of thickness left. Manual says to replace once they get to 1mm. Certainly appears thicker then that. Could they still shot with plenty of pad left??

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I did check out the pads. They seem to have plenty of thickness left. Manual says to replace once they get to 1mm. Certainly appears thicker then that. Could they still shot with plenty of pad left??
How fast do you have to go before the sound comes on, or is it on as soon as you roll off? If coasting in neutral, and applying the front brakes only, does the sound come on, go off, or change as you apply the brake and release?

Have you cleaned the pads off brake dust? I occasionally spray mine to get rid of brake dust and the sounds it brings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How fast do you have to go before the sound comes on, or is it on as soon as you roll off? If coasting in neutral, and applying the front brakes only, does the sound come on, go off, or change as you apply the brake and release?

Have you cleaned the pads off brake dust? I occasionally spray mine to get rid of brake dust and the sounds it brings.
It starts right up if I take off real slow and continue at a slow speed, say under 10 mph. When I apply the brake it either stops completely or makes a different strange noise just prior to complete stop.

I have not cleaned the pads or rotors. I will give that a try tomorrow. Should I clean the just the rotors or should I spray the cleaner on the pads??

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well....finally had time to get my bike to the dealer to take care of my belt chirp. They said the belt was loose. They adjusted it and said I was good to go. I leave the dealer, and WOW sounds great!!! No crazy noises at all. So....I'm almost home (60 miles away), and I now notice a LOUD whine coming from the belt/rear wheel. Called a buddy of mine, who has been wrenching on bikes for years. He says they adjusted the belt to tight. He has all the tools and know how so he is going to help me get it right since I have lost some confidence in the dealer.

Now I have a completely separate noise coming from the front wheel. I can't really describe it, but it is LOUD a low speeds. Sounds like a howling halloween sound effect. Its coming from the front wheel. Searched the forums and can't really find anything that describes the noise. Any ideas??????

Getting a little annoyed at this point. I've had the bike for about 3 weeks and about 400 miles worth of riding. First a chirp, then a whine, now a whine and some wierd sound right out of a horror movie. Bike has 8,000 miles.

Thanks for any input.
More dealer tech shennanigans and hulabaloo!?!?! Say it ain't so.

Sorry DMC, sounds like you're the latest victim of these circus animals. Tech tightened the belt, not to Vic specs. Sounds like they didn't measure the deflection properly, or at all. With a Victory (at least on the steal frames) you're supposed to measure with the bike lifted, with no weight on the rear. On HD, you measure with it on the ground. Sounds like you got a generic "V-Twin" mech. After all, all V-Twins are the same aren't they??? Um no. By the time you got it home, it was super warm and much tighter than when you left the shop, hence the noise from back there.

Now on to the front sound effects. I like sound effects. Wish mine made laser blaster sounds. Maybe the next mod. But your effects aren't the type I'd want.
Probably the first thing I would do is to lift the front end, spin the tire to see if it spins nicely and isn't dragging on either the pads or maybe shot bearings? This will at least let you focus on where the noise is coming from; the hub or the brakes. Also since it happens at low speeds, this is an advantage as it will make it easier to diagnose just by spinning by hand. If there is no noise, then maybe it's the tire.

Since this started happening after you left the dealer, and they did such a bang up job on the belt, they're already suspect. A number of things could have happened while in their impeccable care.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Although I agree that service personal should take more care in their jobs, you have to consider what is involved(employers pushing, scheduling, lack of proper info) Not trying to excuse blatant stupidity, only trying to defend minor mistakes. As a tech for over 20 years, I have made a few(sorry nobody's perfect). As for the front end noise being suspect of work done on the back is like saying "Since you did my oil change my radio doesn't work" . Not related

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
I'd spray the rotors and pads with brake cleaner and wipe them down quickly afterwards. To do the job correctly you will want to pull the pads. Not difficult but my take a little longer the first time you do it. Be sure to clean the hydraulic plungers. If they get gummed up they can hang and cause noise and other problems like red hot rotors. Not good. Be careful to not let the cleaner get on the paint. And of course check the brake fluid level.

Get the front wheel off the deck and spin it to see if you can hear anything. Sometime sound travels and isn't where you think it is.

Another possibility is the wheel bearings although this would certainly be a premature failure if it is. Something some people do when cleaning their bikes is powerwash them with hot water. While much of the bike can handle that; the sealed wheel bearings cannot. It'll wash out the grease and leave a bit of water to start a pit of rust which grows until the bearings make noise and eventually fail.

This is not the bearings/manufacturer/dealers fault. Just operator error.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the delay in responding to this thread. Been away for a bit. The "front wheel" noise was not coming from the wheel at all. I could have sworn it was but the sound must have been pouncing off parts of the bike giving the appearence it was coming from the wheel. It was actually coming from the front sprocket. Again it was just a horrible whiny screaming noise.

When I got the bike to my buddies we checked the deflection as per my manual. (Luckily he had a tension gauge). There was barely 1/4 of an inch of deflection!!!!!!!! :mad: Supposed to be 32mm or about 1.25 inches.

We loosened the belt back to spec. Still notice a slight squeal from the rear pulley on light throttle at above 30ish. Also a very slight whine from the front sprocket at below 10 mph. May need some fine tuning.

I complained to the dealer, which did not get me to far. Received a cookie cutter apology from the owner and a call from the Service manager. He says Victory tells them to "snug um up a bit" if noises are a problem. He wants me to bring it back in so they can "fix" it again. Not sure at this point... I think I will just try fine tuning on my own. I am worried that there may have been damage to the bearings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got another response from the Dealer, after I told them that I still had some whining coming from the front sprocket even after loosening the belt.

They said that Victory wants to replace the belt and both sprockets. Said they would call when the parts came in.

·
13,247 Posts
Now your going to have to watch the front trans main shaft bearing.
Ask them to check it and make sure they put a note on the work order there copy and yours.
Just in case after ten thousand miles it goes out on you and you have a record so hopefully you will not pay for it if it does go out.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm happy to hear you are on your way to getting this resolved. Tracking down noises can be a PITA. Luckily you have a friend that is a good mech and the dealer and Victory seem to taking care of it. To me it's actually interesting to hear that Victory is so willing to replace all those things, especially with just a couple calls from a dealer. Typically with a manufacturer it's like pulling teeth to get them to step up. Sounds like Victory is doing right by replacing those.

Although I agree that service personal should take more care in their jobs, you have to consider what is involved(employers pushing, scheduling, lack of proper info) Not trying to excuse blatant stupidity, only trying to defend minor mistakes. As a tech for over 20 years, I have made a few(sorry nobody's perfect). As for the front end noise being suspect of work done on the back is like saying "Since you did my oil change my radio doesn't work" . Not related
You're absolutely right Larry. It's easy to get caught up in the relatively small focused group we have here, compared the the MUCH larger motorcycle community. So when a couple posts pop up on this forum of service departments possibly being incompetent, it's easy to jump the gun. In all reality, there are a ton of riders take their bikes to various techs/dealerships for service and get the job done right and are happy. Unfortunately we are also more prone to hearing the complaints rather than the praises. But to generalize all techs and service departments as inept is wrong on my part. The service industry can be a bitch, I'm in it, I realize that. Thanks for keeping me in check.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK....well after waiting a few weeks for back ordered parts, the dealer replaced the belt, rear and front sprockets. I've had the bike fixed for a couple of weeks and have managed to put a few hundred miles on. The chirp is gone completely. I still have a some noise coming from the front sprocket as the bike warms up and the belt tightens. it is the same noise only A LOT quieter!!! :) I have to really listen for it. It is louder depending on the weather or how hot the bike gets.

Is some noise like this normal, or is there still an issue somewhere??

The dealer has been great since my intital complaint. Even gave me a loaner, although not a Vic, while my bike was being fixed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts