Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I did a search and so I am preempting with an apology if i missed any relevant posts. I have a wobble upon start up at 10-30 mph. It started in Sturgis and has gotten progressively worse to the point I am not excited to ride the bike. I usually ride two up and have the trunk in-place. Yes, the rear shock is adjusted based on the table in the saddlebag.

Here are the steps I have been through to try and troubleshoot the problem:

1. 2 new Avon Cobras with 5K on them.
2. New wheel bearings front and back.
3. Checked complete front end and tightened up the triple tree.
4. Checked the belt tension, alignment, swing arm.
5. Replaced the front tire with a new one.

I am no closer to resolving this that when I started, but I am quite a bit poorer. The bike has 20K on the clock and I love it, but it just feels unsafe. The wobble goes away at speed. I was sure a belt was lose in front but apparently not. Any ideas would really be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Mine will once in awhile be more prominent, but it is slowing down and around 15 or slower. On to your issue. You say the front end has been tightened. Does that include the steering head bearings? What about the balance of the front tire? Is it balanced with weights or balance beads?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the note. Head bearings are set, front tire is balanced with weights. gm

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Tire balance? Purchase a bottle(8oz needed for the front) of Ride-On sealant \ balancer. This stuff has worked wonders for me.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I don't think it is a tire balance issue as the wobble pretty much went away when i had new tires installed 5K ago and it has come back progressively. here are no missing weights, so I am unsure, absent a defect in the tire, how it would go out of balance in 5K. Anyway, replaced the tire again, and the problem remains. Does anyone know if the motor is an integral component of the frame? The problem is very present on launch suggesting to me that it maybe a torque issue? I don't know, just looking for suggestions? Again, thanks. gm

·
12,970 Posts
most wobbles come from the rear. If you have a jack take rear tire off and have a shop check the balance. Keep in mind it could be bad cords on the inside of tire.
when wheel off check swing arm for side to side movement. Yes it should move up and down with wheel off ground.
Do you feel vibration in floorboards. When you get vibration pull in clutch does it go away. If so it has something to do with driveline. check rear sprocket bolts check front sprocket for in and out movement. Pull seat and check shock rocker arm.
what speed is it when vibration stops

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Balance would not be an issue at low speeds.
I'm betting you ran your rear tire below the recommended 40 PSI for a while and the rear tire is cupped.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i have had it in my last 2 bikes and it works great.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Tire balance? Purchase a bottle(8oz needed for the front) of Ride-On sealant \ balancer. This stuff has worked wonders for me.
Hi hi hi

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Had the Same Issue

Hi,

I had the same issue and it turned out to be the rear tire was just worn out. I have Avon Cobras on my 2012 CCT and though I love, love, love 'em, I wasn't expecting such a short tread life, particularly with the rear tire. That said, I was feeling that front-end wobble starting when going into curves, and it started at about 5k on the Cobras, however I saw no obvious wear on either tire, or anything else that might explain what was going on, but it got worse steadily until I replaced the, (at that point), obviously worn out rear tire. The front tire is in fine shape, it was the rear tire causing the wobble and that was an interesting discovery.

Try a new rear tire as it seems Avon tires start declining around 5,000 miles and deteriorate quickly after that. It took only a short amount of time for the tire to go from looking decent to looking like what it does in the attached image. For what it's worth, I had another Avon Cobra put on the rear.

Safe riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yikes!!!! Only rear tire I have had in last say 10 years that didnt seem to get weird towards end of mileage was my Michelin Commander 2. I have had Dunlap d404 (not very good miles) Dunlap whatever comes on the Vic OEM. Was OK but got the whurr feather edging and the center seemed to "slick out" in just a few hundred miles after I saw close to wear bars. Shinkos well hard to say. Last bike I put them on first one got a non-repairable puncture in first 1500 miles. Replaced it and traded the bike on the Vic within a year so maybe 8k but it looked and rode good.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I honestly think it is the Cobras. I had no wobble on my Vision with the Dunlops, changed to the Cobras (AV71/AV72) and started feeling that low speed wobble pretty soon after mounting them. Changed them out a bit early (about 5000 miles) and have not had any wobble since. The ONLY thing I changed was the tires to Bridgestone Exedra rear and a Pirelli Angel GT (rear) on the front. No more wobbles!

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
I cannot count the number of guys on this forum who have Avon Cobra's on their bikes, and none have reported a wobble problem. Have you lifted your bike up off the ground and checked for loose steering head bearings?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know a lot of people like them and they might be a good tire, though my dealer here in WI told me to watch for cracking. Said they did not have good luck with Avons. I went through everything on the bike while it had the low speed wobble, even added Centrimatic balancers. Replaced the Avons and she is smooth as silk ever since. Maybe it was a bad set, I don't know. But I found the Bridgestone Exedra and it feels and sticks great including in the rain. Just put another one on the other day after 10,000 miles, I can live with that mileage.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Not to derail your thread but I'm also getting a low speed wobble that came on suddenly on my 2012 CCT. I feel fine at speed but it's only low speed I feel unstable and I'm so confused.
Feels like I'm constantly having to wiggle bars left to right to keep balance when before it was smooth and easy.
Had a ride in Ohio on 555 and I did not feel safe but I get on interstate and it feels solid.
I'll keep watching your thread to see if you get a solution this is frustrating me. :(

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
If everything else checks out; tires even and balanced, wheel bearings good, correct PSI, forks in good condition - I would suspect the steering hear bearings. Mine loosened shortly after buying my bike and after tightening them, all was good again. Later, I upgraded to tapered rollers top and bottom (the top is a ball bearing) and after a while, they loosed too. Tightened those and all is good again. In fact upgrading to all tapered rollers helped the handling. Don't ask, I don't know why. I did apply some drag and maybe that was the key.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
If everything else checks out; tires even and balanced, wheel bearings good, correct PSI, forks in good condition - I would suspect the steering hear bearings. Mine loosened shortly after buying my bike and after tightening them, all was good again. Later, I upgraded to tapered rollers top and bottom (the top is a ball bearing) and after a while, they loosed too. Tightened those and all is good again. In fact upgrading to all tapered rollers helped the handling. Don't ask, I don't know why. I did apply some drag and maybe that was the key.
There a write up for that on here?
I know should be in service manual but not sure I have the tools.

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
I don't have the tool either. After loosening the top nut and lower triple tree, I simply use a long screwdriver as a drift and tap it with a hammer until the play is out. And then another tap.
I forgot to add in my previous post that I believe what happens is, even though the steering head bearings have been torqued properly at installation, they settle after some miles of use.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I don't have the tool either. After loosening the top nut and lower triple tree, I simply use a long screwdriver as a drift and tap it with a hammer until the play is out. And then another tap.
I forgot to add in my previous post that I believe what happens is, even though the steering head bearings have been torqued properly at installation, they settle after some miles of use.
That makes sense loosening a bit. Lot of stuff has to be retorqued after some miles.
Not sure that my issue is same as the OP but it is very scary to have wiggle handlebars.

·
Premium Member
12,993 Posts
That makes sense loosening a bit. Lot of stuff has to be retorqued after some miles.
Not sure that my issue is same as the OP but it is very scary to have wiggle handlebars.
There's almost nothing worse than getting into a tankslapper situation.

One would think the average male could muscle the bike to stop the bars from going side to side but no one is strong enough once it gets going.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts