Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondering if anybody else is having issues with their low fuel light indicator coming on way too early? My fuel gauge will show empty, I get both low fuel inidcators normally around 141 on my trip odometer. When I go to fill up I average 3.5 gallons of fuel and with a 5.8 gallon tank, you can do the math.

My dealer contacted Victory and they did some readings and said that everything is normal. My dealer also stated that Victory wants to make sure that the tank doesn't run dry because the fuel pump is in the tank.

I wouldn't mind if the low fuel light came on with about 1.5 gallons in the tank, but 2.5 or more is not right.

·
Registered
243 Posts
that is basically where my low fuel light starts to come on, i continue to ride till around the 160-170 mile on the odo , have never ran out , i do know it is not recommended to allow any fuel injected vehicle to run completely dry , given the fact others have said a new fuel pump from vic is around $350.00 plus labor [ if you can't install ] i don't want to buy one any sooner than absolutely necessary.

steve

·
Registered
114 Posts
Fuel Gage

I totally understand. Why have a gage that doesn't gage? When my gage shows 1/2 tank, I fill up to find that I've used 3.5 us gals. By that mark, I guess I have a 7 us gal tank. I too have to say that the gas gage Suc**. However, the speedo is almost right on, according to the read out I receive from my GPS. I average about 41 MPG, which I feel is pretty good. The gas gage needs work!

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Not sure if this what you are doing or not....could happen. My dealer mentioned that a guy was coming in with the same issue. After going round and round with him....come to find out he was shoving the gas nozzle all the way into the gas spout.....once fuel reached the tip of gas nozzle....pump trips and stops fueling as if full tall has been acheived. After holding nozzle back up couple inches....he was able to get more fuel in tank and stretch his in between low fuel light ups.

True story.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel Accuracy Issue - Nozzle

That was one of the first things that my dealer and I looked at to try and solve the problem. I know another guy who has the same bike and he is also having the same problem.

I was talking to my service manager and he said that maybe he could bend the float a little to see if that helps. He is not recommended that as a solution, but maybe as a action of last resort.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fuel Gage & Mileage

My Crossroads fuel light doesn't come on until about 190-200 miles. It then takes about 4.5.4.7 gallons for a fill up. This seems about right to me. This means I'm getting around 42-43 MPG.

Ido like was mentioned earlier, I fill until the pump clicks off and then pull the nozzle out about 2" and completely fill the tank.

This seems to work OK for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I fill up when my low fuel comes on and I usually get 4.5 gallons in the tank. Only getting about 3.5 gallons on a low fuel light doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just bought my Cross Country on Friday and am closing in on 500 miles. This evening I was riding and my gas gauge dropped from 1/4 to resting on "E" and just a few miles. Then my low fuel light came on and my "RANGE" screen just read LOW FUEL. I was about 20 miles from a gas station and started getting nervous. I had topped off my tank a couple times to check mileage and had been averaging about 46 mpg. I had 182 on the tank when this happened. Anyway, I made it to the gas station and filled up. I took 4.2 gallons and I had 204 miles on that tank.

If I assume that I had it filled the last time that leaves about 1.6 gallons in the tank and roughly 2 gals or so in the tank when the light came on. I guess I wouldn't have a problem with the low fuel light being on if I could still trust the gauge and/or the range feature still worked. When this started and before the lights stayed on permanently the range was reading about 58 miles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now I am making sure that I fill that tank all the way up, low fuel light around 175 miles and I still drive for about another 40 miles and I put about on average about 4.6 gallons into it. It is a little bit better but still not the most accurate thing around!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
It sounds right to me. Aside from the light coming on why does this annoy you? Better safe than sorry.
Thats a silly question, why not one step further and have it come on when he fills up. My guess to his annoyance is that he would like for it to be somewhat close to when he's getting low and not not coming on when he's still has a close to half a tank left.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had this problem with my Vision for a long time. Then, on a long trip I discovered it was the way I fill up. I had the habbit from my VTX to keep the bike vertical while fueling. When I left it leaning on the kick stand, it filled better. The Vision gas tank is shaped in a circle. So, it doesn't fill normally.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the flash done that Kevin mentioned and it seems better though I still put just over 4 gallons in from low fuel, at least the gauge wasn't buried out on "E".

I guess though that if I was not getting the bike full at the pump I would expect the gas gauge to show that as well. It can't be off in opposite directions at either end of its range. At least not for me and my money. So I don't see how not having it "FULL" makes a difference. The gauge was still off.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My Crossroads fuel light doesn't come on until about 190-200 miles. It then takes about 4.5.4.7 gallons for a fill up. This seems about right to me. This means I'm getting around 42-43 MPG.

Ido like was mentioned earlier, I fill until the pump clicks off and then pull the nozzle out about 2" and completely fill the tank.

This seems to work OK for me.
same here...seems ok....but i would rather it kept up the range estimate than just go off the cliff...

·
Registered
27 Posts
My fuel gauge goes quickly after last 1/4 tank.

Take today for example. I get on it and it shows a touch above 1/4 tank. By the time I get to work (5 or miles) it at the beginning of the red bracket for empty. I go to lunch and when I start up its at the bottom of empty and the gas light is on. I looked at the miles remaining when it showed 1/4 tank and it said 65 miles remaining. I didn't drive 10 total miles before it was time to top off. I put in 4.8 gallons, so it was almost empty.

Any clues? Hanging float?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think my float hangs up also. When I fill, on side stand to the neck etc, the fuel gauge will stay on full for a long time. I just slosh the bike back and forth a bit and it reads fine after that. Not a big deal if you are aware of it and keep a eye on the trip meter. If that is the only thing that goes wrong, I am a happy guy.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Take today for example. I get on it and it shows a touch above 1/4 tank. By the time I get to work (5 or miles) it at the beginning of the red bracket for empty. I go to lunch and when I start up its at the bottom of empty and the gas light is on. I looked at the miles remaining when it showed 1/4 tank and it said 65 miles remaining. I didn't drive 10 total miles before it was time to top off. I put in 4.8 gallons, so it was almost empty.

Any clues? Hanging float?
No hanging float. The fuel gauge is not as accurate as on a jet fighter. Bummer.

But, the X bikes have a total fuel capacity of 5.8 gal. At the time when you thought you were bone dry, you still had another gallon to burn, which would've gotten you another 40 miles or so.

Best thing to do is to determine your average gas mileage. Then you'll know how many miles you can put on a tank of fuel before you're in real danger of running on empty. In my case, I know when the low fuel light turns on, to keep in mind that soon I will need to refuel. The low fuel light comes regularly around 150 miles on my bike, and I ride about 200-220miles before I actually fuel it. That still leaves me with an "emergency" half a gallon just in case. thumb up

·
Registered
573 Posts
There have been several threads on this. Victory knows about it, and issued a bulliton to the dealers (my dealer showed it to me). Basically Victory sort of blames the shape of the fuel tank, and concludes they would rather have the light go on too early vs too late. Seems pretty lame, but.....

When my low fuel light goes on and immediately reset the trip#2 odometer to zero. I allow at least 50 more miles, and this way I don't forget when the light came on. I tested mine with a quart of fuel in the side case, just ran it empty.

Here's a thread I started a few months ago

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=3720

1 - 20 of 25 Posts