Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago I made a trip of about 170 mile before turning around and heading home. It was warm, but not overly hot., 84. On the way down everything ran perfectly.

When I started back I didn't even go a mile when a bus pulled right out in front of me, I had to lock it up hard not to crash right into the side of it. That rattled me pretty good. Then I pulled into a gas station to fill up for the trip home and two more assholes almost hit me jockeying for position to the pump. I almost dumped the CCT. By now I'm think these are bad omens. I filled up with gas and went on my way.

Within 10 miles the bike started to act like it was running out of gas, lundging, bucking, I had to rev the throttle to keep it going. First thought was bad gas. Oh ****, I'm 160 miles from home. It wasn't consistent acting that way but enough the annoy the **** out of me. I stopped about 50 miles later, let it cool down a bit, then it seemed to run fin. I stopped at the auto parts store and bought some gas cleaner and some fuel injector cleaner, put a little in the tank just for good measure and it ran really well for the next 60 miles or so. Then it started again, not as often but it was getting dark and I was traveling in a heavily wooded area and I had serious doubts I was going to make it. But I did, and started to analyze what might be the problem. My best guess is the fuel filter, I have never changed it and I have 60K on the bike.

Anyone have any thoughts? I've had a couple of instances in the past with vapor locks, but that only affects starting as far as I know.

Thanks for any ideas. I ordered the filter today.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It could still be bad gasi had got some bad gas in my car once and it took bout 3days and several cans of fuel treatment before it started running normal
I would try some seafoam and run anoty tank or two and if that don't help then I would go with the fuel filter

Reactions: bglend

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rainman, the other thing I forgot to mention is that I might have been so rattled that maybeI put the wrong octane during the fill up. Just can't be sure until I check my credit card statement to see if I can determine the price paid and compare it to the cost of 87 vs 93. There's about a $.40 difference, so it should be obvious.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
A couple things. A fuel injected system can not vapor lock, because the fuel is under high enough pressure it dont get the chance. Also the bike will run fine off 87 octane. It is just about all I run in mine. It could be bad gas. If you think so sea foam or Berrymans and maybe a shot of "dri gas" fuel anti ice stuff.

·
Administrator
2,591 Posts
The octane of the fuel is NOT your issue. The bike will run equally fine with any octane available. All that will be different is the amount of money in your wallet after filling the tank.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Well if it is almost empty changing the filter is pretty easy. There is some posts on where to get generic filters. I had to buy three and got a couple around here somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
I'm still on my original fuel filter at 16x,xxx miles. I would bet there was a little water in your gas. It will likely be gone soon enough.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The fuel filters can get clogged up if there is a lot of bad gas around. I normally change my filter every year or so if I happen to have the tank off for something else, and they seem to always be discolored and dirty when I do. I used to fill up at four or five different stations around my house, but found that my 2013 Judge seems to be sensible to bad gas. For the past few months I only fill up at the larger stations like QT that sell a lot of gas and have not had any fuel problems since. I use 93 Octane since in Texas you can only get 87, 89 and 93. I have found it runs better on 93.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,610 Posts
Probably a little water in the gas.
Fuel treatment and fresh gas.
Hopefully issue goes away in a tank or two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lots of good comments. I'm gonna dump some dry gas in, run it as low as I can get it, then refill with fresh gas. I did use a Sheetz ( if anyone has ever heard of it ) for my gas when the problem started. They are a pretty big gas station chain here in PA, so they should be getting fresh gas all the time one would think.

Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts