Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my XC is fairly new, just under 800 miles now. Noticed over the last couple of fill ups that the gas gauge is a bit weird. When I fill up the bike, the gage will register full for over 100 miles. The it drops pretty rapidly to 1/2 over maybe 20-30 miles, drops to 1/4 in the next 20, and then suddenly drops to empty and the low fuel light comes on around 180 miles.

Is this common, or do I have a problem? Bike is all stock, bought it new. I filled up for the 4th time today, so I'm still getting used to the bike.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
OK, my XC is fairly new, just under 800 miles now. Noticed over the last couple of fill ups that the gas gauge is a bit weird. When I fill up the bike, the gage will register full for over 100 miles. The it drops pretty rapidly to 1/2 over maybe 20-30 miles, drops to 1/4 in the next 20, and then suddenly drops to empty and the low fuel light comes on around 180 miles.

Is this common, or do I have a problem? Bike is all stock, bought it new. I filled up for the 4th time today, so I'm still getting used to the bike.
It seems to be common. My 2011 X/C does the same thing. About the time my Fuel Light comes on I still have about 2 Gallons of gas in the tank. When I took my bike to the dealer to install the Performance Air Filter, and the Big Shot Tuner I only left a little over 2 Gallons of fuel in the tank. After they Installed everything and took it for a test drive the gas needle dove to empty and the fuel light came on. It seemed to catch them off guard, because the ordered a new Fuel senser which includes the fuel pump. Any way to make a long story longer, after they installed the new Fuel Pump /Fuel sensor everything is still the same, after about 80 miles Fuel gauge starts to drop fast, then fuel light comes with about 2 gallons left in tank. Didn't say anything to the dealer about it, have read on forum this seems to be the status quo. Also didn't want the dealer using my bike for an experiment for a fix. I would rather ride my bike and trust my Odometer and how much gas I put into it rather than have it in the shop with people scratching their headsover it.:crzy:

·
Registered
186 Posts
What both of you are describing is a common complaint with the XC/XR.
My wife has a Kaw 900 and there is an inline resistor one can install (RadioShack, 260 ohm, if I recall) to fix the gauge. I did hers and all is well.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Fuel DIVE from 1/4th tank to ZERO is "apparently" common. I have only had my bike about 2 weeks but I have put just over 500 miles and have noticed the same issue on mine a number of times already. 200 miles I start looking for a station with 1/4th tank. I find one about 5 miles away and am driving up the ramp and the fuel gauge (somehow) shows LO FUEL in the heads up display and the needle is buried under E on the gauge. It would be nice to see some type of "quick fix" like a recall for an inline resistor.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I rode my Valkyrie for eleven years without a fuel guage so I guess I am used to using the odemeter. Both times my fuel guage showed low fuel I was able to put in 4.0 gallons and 4.2 gallons. I think of the low fuel light as "reserve" and know that I can go another 40 or 50 miles looking for a gas station.

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
I rode my Valkyrie for eleven years without a fuel guage so I guess I am used to using the odemeter. Both times my fuel guage showed low fuel I was able to put in 4.0 gallons and 4.2 gallons. I think of the low fuel light as "reserve" and know that I can go another 40 or 50 miles looking for a gas station.
That's pretty much the way I see it too. I also reset one of the trip meters whenever I fill up. I like to fill up around the 200 mile mark unless I'm on a trip and getting better gas mileage from riding on the lower speed back roads.

I'd like to know more about the 260 ohm resister and where exactly to put it with pics if possible. Sounds like something worth doing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The resistor was simply installed inline between the sender and the gauge. The 260 ohm is likely specific to the Kaw 900 and someone would need to play around with varying resistors to see if a certain ohm is a fix for the Vics.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
All,

I noticed this before my first fill up after I picked up my new 2011 XC on Saturday. My dealer filled the tank before we left his shop, so we put 185 miles on the clicker. The fuel gauge seemed to drop like a rock just after reaching below half but, it only took 3.5 gallons at the pump. Thankfully i have AAA and Victory roadside assistance. :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have yet to own a motorcycle where the gas gauge was worth a darn. There is so much fuel movement and other factors with a motorcycles gas tank it's an almost useless idea.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Gauge not instrument

I think it is the nature of the XC Gauge. Back in the day when I sold boats and people complained about the accuracy of the fuel gauge, the standard answer is a gauge is just that. It gets closer to empty the more fuel you use. If you want accuracy you need a instrument.:ltr::ltr:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Huh. Just about every cager including most semi-trucks I've driven act this way on the guage. Just a nature of the way the guage sending unit sits in the tank. I've considered my XC to act pretty normal based on that. When the low fuel light comes on, you need gas.

·
Registered
289 Posts

howdy
just at 11k on my 2010...and it does the same thing....always has...the first time i was about 40m outta town on a break in roll and it was a bit unnerving...should of had the range and she did but..geesh!....anyway it is nice to have i reckon but i still rely on my trip meter...my range these days is about 190 when the gauge falls off the cliff...from what i have recently seen...the guage drops...the low fuel comes on and you loose range readouts....for a few miles...then you get range back....i think the indicator light stays on....but life gets real lonely real fast and so i fill up as soon as she drops...if not before..the dryest i have had it is a 4.4 or so gal fill...so i reckon my full out range for my style is about 230.....

·
Registered
161 Posts
In a car (I have read) it is not good for the tank to be run below 1/4~1/8 because the gas does help to cool the fuel pump. I imagine that the same is probably true for our fuel injected motorcycles. Just an observation.
My fuel gauge also operates/indicates as yours does too. I reach 200 miles before the lo fuel indicator comes on and the needle drops off to empty at the same time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone. My former Kawasaki had a fuel gauge, and while it would show empty early, it at least responded in a linear fashion.

I rely more on my trip meter than the gauge, but its nice to have the gauge as well. I ran down to the low fuel light once so far, and it came on in 180-ish miles. I filled up with a bit over 4 gallons.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It seems to be common. My 2011 X/C does the same thing. About the time my Fuel Light comes on I still have about 2 Gallons of gas in the tank. When I took my bike to the dealer to install the Performance Air Filter, and the Big Shot Tuner I only left a little over 2 Gallons of fuel in the tank. After they Installed everything and took it for a test drive the gas needle dove to empty and the fuel light came on. It seemed to catch them off guard, because the ordered a new Fuel senser which includes the fuel pump. Any way to make a long story longer, after they installed the new Fuel Pump /Fuel sensor everything is still the same, after about 80 miles Fuel gauge starts to drop fast, then fuel light comes with about 2 gallons left in tank. Didn't say anything to the dealer about it, have read on forum this seems to be the status quo. Also didn't want the dealer using my bike for an experiment for a fix. I would rather ride my bike and trust my Odometer and how much gas I put into it rather than have it in the shop with people scratching their headsover it.:crzy:
I did call my dealer to let him know about this he said it was the first he heard about it I think it is better that they know about a problem than not he said 2010 were having too little gas left in the tank when the low fuel light came on and that maybe Victory over compensated. If they aren't informed of a problem it is not getting fixed yes and a gauge is an instument used for measuring but when low fuel light comes on at 3 gal. of gas this should be adjusted these are upper end bikes known for thier fit and finish. I am just saying we should let them know about this, hey easy fix Kaw could do it not the new american co can't
I really like my vic. it was this or the harley and I have been happy with it except for this and my wife doesn't like their rear seat and I hate hearing why I didn't get the harley---well working on the seat got a gel pad and lowered the floor boards helped alot (wife is long legged) I am planning a trip in July and like to get this gas mileage worked out just how many miles to a tank of gas before ohh sh####

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
The more you ride it the more comfortable you will be with its quirks. All bikes have quirks.

You'll notice the range changes depending on the gas mileage. If you hit a calm day and get 48mpg it'll show in the range. If you hit a day where you are up against a head wind and getting 38mpg; you see that reflected too. Depends on your speed, outside temps, flat land or mountains, basically no way to know how far a tank of gas will get you.

I like to fill up at around 200 miles. Unless I'm really pushing it; I need to get off and stretch every 100 miles or so anyway. YMMV.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just did 6 days of riding to Laconia MC week and back...Fuel mileage was great- averaging high 40's, and on highway type roads- avg. 50. Im noticing if I toggle the switch till the range shows up, it gives me a pretty good idea of whats going on based on the speed & conditions.

Was surprised how well the mileage was when maintaining 68-70mph.

On a side note, my harley friends who went with me were saying it was getting ridiculous with all the attention my XC was receiving- even from other harley riders. They all love the victory and many were saying they're considering switching over to the vic. Now one of those riding buddies is seriously thinking of trading in his HD for one...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just did 6 days of riding to Laconia MC week and back...Fuel mileage was great- averaging high 40's, and on highway type roads- avg. 50. Im noticing if I toggle the switch till the range shows up, it gives me a pretty good idea of whats going on based on the speed & conditions.

Was surprised how well the mileage was when maintaining 68-70mph.

On a side note, my harley friends who went with me were saying it was getting ridiculous with all the attention my XC was receiving- even from other harley riders. They all love the victory and many were saying they're considering switching over to the vic. Now one of those riding buddies is seriously thinking of trading in his HD for one...
It is fun stealing the admirers away from the HD's.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've had 2 XC's, a 2010 & the current 2011. While the '11 is better it still lacks a lot of accuracy. However, the low fuel light comes on with about 1.0 to 1.1 gals. left in the tank (if indeed it will hold 5.8 gals.). With that in mind I'm O.K. with the way it (kinda) works.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts