Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 CC with just over 40,000 miles. Over the past several months I've noticed a "sluggishness" in how my fuel guage reads full after I fill the bike. When I first bought the bike and filled it, the fuel guage immediately read full. Several months back the needle in the guage would slowly assend to the full mark over several miles after leaving the gas station and then it would be fine. Now it can take over a day or more to get the needle to assend to the full mark and during that time it can go from full to 7/8ths full many times. After the tank gets down to 3/4 full, the gas guage works perfectly.

My questions are what causes the fuel guage to work on a Victory CC. Is it a float ball? Did the ball go bad, causing not float properly or did the gas reading mechanism in the tank somehow break down? I've had no issues with fuel delivery to the bike.

Hopefully someone on the forum has had a similiar issue and has some recommendations. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
If you have removed your fuel pump for some reason. You may have got the fuel gage sending unit out of position. On all four Victory's I have had. The fuel gauges all changed their readings and the way they worked over time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NAB, thanks for your reply. I never did anything with either the fuel pump or filter. It just started to slowly act up on its own. Since it only happens after I fully fill it, I thought that could be something off mechanically not allowing it to read that the tank is full. Reading in your post that it could be a problem with the sending unit, maybe over the 8years that I owned it the sending unit moved from its correct position inside the tank? Next time I’m at my mechanic, I’ll ask him what he thinks.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
It is a float on an arm that runs on a wiper. It acts much like a rheostat (think old school volume knob). They can after awhile I suppose get "dirty" and the resistance would possibly get off. If it runs say in same place quite a bit it might stay cleaner in say the 1/2 to 1/4 tank and read a little better. Mine has been acting like it drops of more quickly from 1/4 to empty now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same issue happening on my 2015 CC, happens from half tank to empty, most of the time. Asked my mechanic and he did not know the reason. Good luck in figuring this is out. My advice: keep your bike topped off , just in case.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Eye Water Font Art Electric blue
So see the blue section. The gray arched section behind it is the contact. One end reads a higher resitance to electrical signal, the other a lower. Imagine this laying in gas for however many years. Eventually they get a build up and it changes the readings it sends to the gauge. So I dont know if some seafoam or something like that would help it out or not. Cant hurt and it keeps the inectors clean, so I dont know why it woulndt maybe help this out to. Worth a try for $6 or $8 bucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my '12 CCT since it was new and the fuel guage stays on full for about 60-70 miles, then drops to just above 1/2. From that point on it stays pretty accurate and that is the time I really need to know it right. Once you get use to it, it's just the personality of the m/c. I still love it even more now that when it was new.
View attachment 255512 So see the blue section. The gray arched section behind it is the contact. One end reads a higher resitance to electrical signal, the other a lower. Imagine this laying in gas for however many years. Eventually they get a build up and it changes the readings it sends to the gauge. So I dont know if some seafoam or something like that would help it out or not. Cant hurt and it keeps the inectors clean, so I dont know why it woulndt maybe help this out to. Worth a try for $6 or $8 bucks.
es

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Last 1/2 to 1/4 is where I would like to have mine accurate. But it turns light on and I dive maybe 10 miles or so as I'm nervious. Fill up and it might take 4 gallons.

·
Super Moderator
2,414 Posts
Last 1/2 to 1/4 is where I would like to have mine accurate. But it turns light on and I dive maybe 10 miles or so as I'm nervious. Fill up and it might take 4 gallons.
Not sure which kind of bike you have but a XC or XCT has a tank that holds more than 5.5 gal. and gets around 40 mpg. If you are only putting in 4 gal, you have another 60+ miles of range to go if you wanted to use it.

Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,422 Posts
Odometer is your friend on any bike. Annoying that it flips to LoFuel or something like that when the light comes on. Have to hit the trigger to get back to odometer. I think the light is enough notification.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts