Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a few searches on the forum, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Anyone have any thoughts about using a fuel injector cleaner on an XC? You know, that liquid you add to the gas? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
Seafoam good.

·
12,983 Posts
If you stop at a popular gas station most all have a cleaner in there gas. My owners book on my bike and three cars don't say anything about needing any FI cleaner. If Vic or any other bike company though it was need they would tell you for sure.
To me its snake oil but if it give you peace of mind do it. Just make sure it will not eat the seal coating on the inside of your tank

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I fill up on "premium" and as much as I can try to use brand name fuel like Mobil or Shell which have the highest levels of detergents to keep the entire fuel system clean.
Shouldn't ever be any need for extra cleaner.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
PaiN is probably right that IF you use Top Tier (http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html ), premium fuel you shouldn't have a problem. Even if you use Premium octane, you can have poor grade fuel that can cause unwanted buildup. I know this first-hand in my twin turbo Direct Injection car (learned it after it starting running poorly)
Seafoam has helped clean it out (no carbon/soot out the pipes at full throttle, smoother idle) after one tank.

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
PaiN is probably right that IF you use Top Tier (http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html ), premium fuel you shouldn't have a problem. Even if you use Premium octane, you can have poor grade fuel that can cause unwanted buildup. I know this first-hand in my twin turbo Direct Injection car (learned it after it starting running poorly)
Seafoam has helped clean it out (no carbon/soot out the pipes at full throttle, smoother idle) after one tank.
Costco that's interesting I'm a member but never buy the gas.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Use StarTron it's formulated to deal with the residues from ethanol most others aren't. You can get it at most autoparts houses and I think Walmart. Clear liquid in a translucent blue bottle.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Use StarTron it's formulated to deal with the residues from ethanol most others aren't. You can get it at most autoparts houses and I think Walmart.
I've been using StarTron for the last couple of years, every few fillups and over the winter, sitting in the tank (as opposed to StaBil in the olden days, and later a winter or two with SeaFoam). It comes in several concentrations, so pay attention to the label when dumping a bit in the tank.

In addition to other places, StarTron is at most WalMarts... in the boating section. I've been to some WalMarts where the staff didn't even know it existed, but that's where it can be found.

I also -- especially for winter storage -- get ethanol-free high-test when convenient. There are several places near me that sell that. If you have a smart phone, there's a free app called Pure Gas that lists those gas stations in your area.

·
12,983 Posts
I could not find anything for motorcycle they are about cars but there is information.
The efficiency of a fuel injector cleaner is mainly dependent upon the particular type of fuel injector cleaner. 'In tank' cleaners are often in their diluted form, since they are meant for regular usage. Strong chemicals are likely to erode the injectors, hence cannot be used for a prolonged time. The dilute chemicals in additives do nothing to clean the clogged fuel injectors. They are generally used as a preventive measure and for cleaning only light build up. Cleaning kits can effectively clean the clogged injectors, however, they are not recommended for frequent usage. The chemicals in the solvent can do more harm than good to the injectors. One must not clean fuel injectors for more than three times in the car's life. If the injector problems still persist, you might have to replace them altogether. Additives and cleaning kits do not help in monitoring the performance of fuel injectors. The spraying mechanism and the rate of flow of fuel can only be monitored during off-car fuel injector cleaning.

If you use good quality fuel and take periodic maintenance activities, then you might not have to clean fuel injectors during the whole lifetime of your car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you don't want to use a fuel tank mixture cleaner, ensure you use something like Stabil for any fuel (fuels with ethanol) left in the bike over the non riding period (more then three weeks). The Ethanol in the fuel breaks down much quicker than the gasoline in current stateside blends.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
First off I'd like to thank the government for making me put ethanol into my tank. If I were to put sugar into a non-friend's(enemies') tank I would be arrested, but yet they make me put sugar into my own fuel tank.
I've read where your valves end up looking like a pie that overflowed to the bottom of your oven due to all of the sugars that are in ethanol.

I use Star-Tron in every tank.

Dayum I love the folks who protect this planet from the human race.

Please keep your political views out of my gas tank!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Additive for fuel:

I would like to bring to some of the readers attention there are only a hand full of refineries in the U.S.. They run such a volume of fuel and the plants stretch out over large area. The additive added at the end.
When the tankers pull in and the small amount they get, it gets enter mixed. Kind like at a car wash you pay for a top notch car wash and the guy behind you gets one too. The chemical are in the lines and on the sponge roller.
On a busy day everybody is getting the top notch car wash.
Here is a point when the refineries shut down for summer and winter additive change. They price gouge use to death. It does not take that long. It is done from a control room. I guess I am an old guy. You know we rule.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Sea Foam

seafoamcan.jpg

·
Registered
141 Posts
You do not have run Ethanol some even in Nebraska a corn state I can find gas with out it. Some of the Shell and Mobil even have a hose that never pumps it. Ethanol is added at a manifold at the station all the gas delivered to a gas station is the same grade. It's changed at the pump if they have one hose that pumps all the different grades of gas. So the first one to two gal from these pumps can be what ever the last customer bought. If I can not find Ethanol free gas when on a ride I fill up when I get back with a local dealer that has pumps with separate hose for each blend with Ethanol free gas. Than again before my next ride. I don't worry about it in my car as it is designed to run it by law. They delayed the release of E85 because of the one hose problem when filling small tanks like lawn mowers and motorcycle's. If the last person bought E85 you could get up to two gal of it before you got what you wanted. In large fuel tanks this is not a problem but it is for small ones like we have. Also it is not a good ideal to run Ethanol in outboard motors at all. All the Gas Station here get there gas from the same pipe line just south of town, all additives are added at the pump.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
You do not have run Ethanol some even in Nebraska a corn state I can find gas with out it...
I bet all Nebraska's corn is exported to California. :ltr:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts