Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used bike that supposedly had a bad fuel pump. I got a new pump but still no start. I also checked for spark and all is good there. I'm beginning to think maybe the folks I got it from may have switched the lines when they were trying to get it going. It's an '01 Standard cruiser. In a schematic I checked, the fuel line from the filter goes to the right side of the bike...opposite the side where the ignition is. Could someone confirm that? The tank return would then be on the left....same as the key. If that is correct then this one is reversed.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that's the diagram I was looking at. I just went out and switched them but still no start...I'm running out of ideas here.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
If haven't tried it spray a little starting fluid into the air cleaner if cranks right up and dies is definitely a fuel problem ..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try the starting fluid next. I pulled the plugs to check their condition, gap, and for spark. They were dry. I have fuel going to the fuel rail. Is there a way to check for fuel coming out of the injectors?

·
13,247 Posts
If you have been trying to start it and the plugs are DRY then your not getting fuel.
I have to ask do you hear the fuel pump prim when you turn key on.
Just wondering if pump is any good

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes fuel pump comes on. I just bought and replaced it. I also pulled the fuel line off and it had fuel to the rail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok guys, I bought a fuel rail tester....tests out 50 + -, just like it should...I have spark, what else could it be?....when I checked the plugs they were dry like no fuel, what else could stop fuel from getting to the cylinders?...I could see one injector being bad, but 2 ???

·
Registered
611 Posts
Not sure how the interlocks work on these bikes. Typically something like a kill switch, sidestand switch, clutch safety switch, or tipover sensor will stop the fuel pump but it's possible that on the vic's those things leave the pump alone and stop the injectors. I agree that it's highly unlikely you have 2 bad injectors but there is an easy way to test them. Unplug the connector at each one and test the injector with a 12v battery and some wire leads. You should be able to hear them "click" open and closed when you connect/disconnect the leads. If you do, they're fine and the problem is farther back. If not, then they are in fact bad. If you have fuel at the rail and dry plugs you definitely have something going on with the injectors its just a question of what is stopping them from firing.

I don't have the service manual for the '01 but assuming it's the same wiring as the '02 cruiser, the injectors receive constant 12v+ and are grounded through the ecm to fire them. Make sure when the bike is on that you have 12v at the injector. If not, trace the wiring back until you find the fault (there are a couple switches and relays that feed that 12v). If you DO have 12v at the injectors then the fault is either a bad ground or a bad ecm since there is nothing else between the injectors and ground.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks soofle616...that's the kinda info I been looking for. I don't have an '01 service manual either,but I downloaded BBob's '99 manual. It's got a lot of good info but some of the tests require equipment that I don't have. Things like this I can do with my old analog multimeter. I have to go work after bit so maybe if I'm not too worn out in the morning I can try this out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts