Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't ridden long enough journeys to be able to tell, thought y'all could give me some input.

Lots of the highways we cruise on here in TX are limited to 60mph, what gear should I run to achieve the best mileage? My instinct (from driving my diesel truck everywhere) is to keep the RPMs as low as possible for the best possible mileage.

@ 60 mph:

4th - 2900 rpm
5th - 2400 rpm
6th - 2100 rpm

·
Registered
78 Posts
I haven't ridden long enough journeys to be able to tell, thought y'all could give me some input.

Lots of the highways we cruise on here in TX are limited to 60mph, what gear should I run to achieve the best mileage? My instinct (from driving my diesel truck everywhere) is to keep the RPMs as low as possible for the best possible mileage.

@ 60 mph:

4th - 2900 rpm
5th - 2400 rpm
6th - 2100 rpm
I really haven't noticed any difference between 5th and 6th gear at 60mph on my Vision. It gets right about 45 mpg.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 09 Kingpin seems to be lugging at 60 in sixth but my fuel mileage doesn't really change whether I'm in 5th or 6th. I kick it up to 65 mph and use 6th. The cops will usually give you 5 mph!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I really haven't noticed any difference between 5th and 6th gear at 60mph on my Vision. It gets right about 45 mpg.
Wow! 45mpg for a vision is pretty darn good! Impressive...

Generally lower rpm is better, but it gets to the point where as rpms drop, engine load becomes too high and it begins to strugle and with efi that means the computer adds fuel, which will hurt gas milege. Most every manufacturer tells you what the most efficient rpm of an engine is. Maybe it's in your bikes manual somewhere?!

as an aside note: I feel lucky that our cops are so lenient. You can pretty much go 10 over just about anywhere in my area and cops will not mess with you (typically). More than 10 over and you're playing with fire.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, 60mph is just an example... I suppose I'm really just wondering what the "sweet spot" for engine RPM is at any speed. I of all people abuse the speed limits more than I care to admit, but I actually ride slower on my bike than I do in my truck.

2300 it is!

BTW I'm averaging 44mpg with mostly city driving and keeping the RPMs down.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I don't pay much attention to mileage right now, but if I'm shifting, it's at 2500 or higher...depending on circumstances. If I'm crusing, 23-2400. It just feels right.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow! 45mpg for a vision is pretty darn good! Impressive...

Generally lower rpm is better, but it gets to the point where as rpms drop, engine load becomes too high and it begins to strugle and with efi that means the computer adds fuel, which will hurt gas milege. Most every manufacturer tells you what the most efficient rpm of an engine is. Maybe it's in your bikes manual somewhere?!

as an aside note: I feel lucky that our cops are so lenient. You can pretty much go 10 over just about anywhere in my area and cops will not mess with you (typically). More than 10 over and you're playing with fire.
Maybe it could have something to do with my using 100% gasoline. We have it all over here in OKC.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Georgia law prohinits local cops from writing a ticket for less than 10 over. YAY!
A station nearby sells 100% gasoline. It yields about 10% better milage.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
+1 what KevinX said...2300 is the sweet spot. Never lug below that. So what if your mpg drops a bit, enjoy the show. Our 106s love to rev, especially in the twisties. Go forth and enjoy. Me? I don't use 6th until 65mph.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts