Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's known issue, but still can't find solution, bought my gunner in Feb 2017 and it's awsome except one thing... high pitch noise from fuel tank. I've read all about it I could find in internet, no it's not cap, it's certainly pump and as usual dealer says "no abnormal sound" (well, first time they said that's pump and changed it, at least they said so). Does anybody tried to fix it? My last idea was to cover pump with not dissolvable by gas material. Is it possible to disassemble it and figure out what makes that noise?

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Is there another victory in your area? Then when the fuel pump priming you can hear the difference between the two bikes?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Remember that pump is gasoline cooled and has to be able to quickly shed heat as most of it is plastic. Be very careful how much insulation you add to it should you decide to go the route of coating it. etc , etc to quiet it down.

They do make tank lining compounds that might deaden the sound a very little but they are a real pain to apply and must be put on perfectly or they will peal off down the road causing many issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there another victory in your area? Then when the fuel pump priming you can hear the difference between the two bikes?
I tried to listen to couple bikes in dealership, I'm pretty sure one of them was almost like mine while another had almost no noise, but it's so subjective, come people can't even hear so high frequencies.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I tried to listen to couple bikes in dealership, I'm pretty sure one of them was almost like mine while another had almost no noise, but it's so subjective, come people can't even hear so high frequencies.
A decent exhaust will cure your noise problems...they're so quiet stock that you hear all sorts of stuff.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Add oil

Try adding 4ozs of Marvel Mystery Oil next gas fill up. Todays gas (E-10) is very dry. If you get it on your hands it turns the skin white. Back in the day before ethanol replaced lead, if you got it on your hands it left them filling oily. (Walmart sells MMO)

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Are you talking about when you power on the kill switch and it whines for a few seconds? This is normal. If there is still adequate fuel pressure it doesn't do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try adding 4ozs of Marvel Mystery Oil next gas fill up. Todays gas (E-10) is very dry. If you get it on your hands it turns the skin white. Back in the day before ethanol replaced lead, if you got it on your hands it left them filling oily. (Walmart sells MMO)
I already added 3oz (instruction says 4 per 10 gal) don't see any difference for now, but will continue.

Are you talking about when you power on the kill switch and it whines for a few seconds? This is normal. If there is still adequate fuel pressure it doesn't do it.
No, that sound is ok. My sound comes up after engine started in second.

·
13,235 Posts
I don't understand.
Is the noise loud when you first turn the key on. Or is the sound present when going down the road.
What makes you think its not the gas cap

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A decent exhaust will cure your noise problems...they're so quiet stock that you hear all sorts of stuff.
The problem is it makes noise when it's idling or on low rounds (or I just can't here it after 2200+ rpm) and at this point all pipes not loud. But anyway I probably will install some V&H pipes later =)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't understand.
Is the noise loud when you first turn the key on. Or is the sound present when going down the road.
What makes you think its not the gas cap
I can hear noise when it's idling or on low speed, after 30-40 mph or over 2000 rpm I can't hear it or it doesn't make noise. It makes noise even with open tank and you can clearly hear it comes from inside tank.
Honestly if even dealer says it's normal I thought there should be plenty people who knows how to fix it. It seems like either most of people just can't hear it or I'm one of unlucky guys.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
The gear drive primary in these things whine fairly loud, sound like a blower drive.... That is normal.
Record it for us.

Get a louder exhaust or your gonna be whining for ever, these engines make a lot of mechanical noise.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Victory has some great dealers and their fair share of rats also and many that fill in the slots in between. I discovered this when the wife and I bought ours. Some are very good, some are slightly inept but with honest good intentions. However there are some real rats too.

If your dealer diagnosed your bike as having a bad fuel pump and changed it Victory customer service will know. They will just look it up by your Vin. Start there. Give them a call it might take you 1/2 hr if that.
If it hasn't been changed don't take it back to the guy who lied to you. Goes without saying. Tell Victory that your not having fun with this and ask for their best troubleshooter in the area. Go see him and get some straight answers. They might not change it or maybe they will. If they don't because they do not feel it is a problem worth paying to fix they should put a note in your file that will get it changed when it finally fails even when your warranty expires. If it does have a problem and they say they have put the note in your file be sure to call customer service again to verify that too. Pumps aren't cheap and changing them is a bother.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Joe has a point there, it'll be on record,
I missed the bit about it being changed...

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
I already added 3oz (instruction says 4 per 10 gal) don't see any difference for now, but will continue.

No, that sound is ok. My sound comes up after engine started in second.
So pump has been changed by a dealer and it is AFTER bike is running at low RPM... And the sound has not gone away with changing of the fuel pump

So when the fuel pump is priming the fuel pump sound is normal... Only after starting the sound comes?

If the pump has been changed this means #

1 it is something else that makes the noise
2 the pump was not changed
3 there is a loose Bolt inside your tank? (that's a joke mate)

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
13,235 Posts
Write Rylan tell him year and model and about your pump or what ells it might be. He will write you back for sure. Hes a good guy and a great Vic mechanic

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
You start the engine in second gear?
I caught that too. Doesn't sound right and there's no reason to.

I'm wondering if the noise is normal and the OP can hear it better than most people in which case there is no fix for it or if the sound being made is further downstream from the pump. Maybe there's a crimp or bad connection somehow causing this noise. There's a connection behind the right side cover; maybe it's right there or maybe it's a vacuum leak.

Could be so many things. It might be a relay buzzing or something vibrating; who knows.

OP: Can you use your phone to record the noise using video as well so we know where you have your phone at the time we can hear it. Just use the phone to follow the noise to the source as best you can. Post it on YouTube or maybe Photobucket the provide the link to it here.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
You start the engine in second gear?
Surely he must mean 'the second the engines started'
Yeah, record it for us if you can.
The Victory engine has lots if mechanical noise if you're listening for it.
Specially with stock exhaust and even mores if you're not wearing a helmet.
I find a full face helmet that I wear at the drags also amplifies engine noise.
Let's hear the sound recording.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts