Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded my Jackpot for a 2012 Cross country. Have put 1000 miles on it , bike runs great , Put a timing wheel on at + 4 degrees, bike ran better. Everyone kept saying to unplug the 02 Sensors. I did, Bike ran even better. Took a test ride today down A1A by Marineland about 18 miles. "Bike" stopped dead like it was out of gas. Tried to restart, only turned over would not fire. tried several times to restart but nothing. Could not hear the fuel pump working. Called AAA and while waiting checked the fuse box found the fuel pump fuse blown. Replaced the fuse "RAN LIKE a CHAMP." Was it just bad timing or could the 02 Sensor disconnect have caused the problem ??? Any Ideas ???
Thanks Tom

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
O2 disconnect won't affect your fuel pump fuse, it's no where near the same circuit. Coincidence.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
How many miles on it ,OP.
and could a dirty fuel filter be starting to restrict flow, @kevinx
You had a spare fuse I presume?

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Have you checked the battery terminals? They have a tendency to loosen. Place external star washers under the bolts to help with keeping 'em tight.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Fuses only blow because of the presence of electrical current higher than what the fuse was designed for. That's it. Broken fuses are almost nonexistent and look different.

When any electrical problem is intermittent, plan on it happening again until you identify the cause. I really can't imagine this is a fuel pump problem. Shorts in solenoids get worse and don't recover. It's possible in theory but not likely.

First guess would be a loose connection causing arcing on the circuit or a loose wire or damaged wire causing arcing to ground. Trace them out and look carefully for signs of wear. Be very observant wherever there is a retaining clip or strap. Open every connector along the way and confirm they are clean and solid. Add dielectric grease too.

To check for other related loads on the fuel pump circuit, if there are any, you will need a wiring diagram and follow the same tracing and confirming routine.

Another source of electrical problems is the Regulator. There's lots of power there which needs to be controlled hence the word "Regulator". Surges are definitely possible but unless it simply overheated you would see other effects as well. Mostly blown lights and definitely more often.

Until you find the source of the problem carry extra fuses.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts