Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was about 150 miles from home when I pulled into a gas station and heard a loud whirring noise. Shut off the engine, fueled up, restarted and the noise was gone. Rode another 20 miles to my destination, and the noise was back. After some closer diagnosing, the noise comes right back in a minute or less when warm. Quiet at first. Then it gradually gets louder. Bike runs great, 03 v92c.
Before I pull the tank and start tearing out the pump, is there anyone had this same experience? And it was the pump? It's loudest at the front of the tank by the bars.
And by chance, anyone have an aftermarket part #?

·
13,043 Posts
you can rent a fuel pump tester at auto parts store.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You didn't say if you lost any fuel pressure or had any problems running. So it sounds to me like the Bearings in the pump are going out. If you have the pump in the tank it's rebuildable.
Mine is in the frame and i guess is not rebuildable. someone on here listed a part number for a pump you can get at the parts store but not sure it will work in your bike. Maybe someone will post that info.

Good Luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not having any performance issues. Made it another 180 miles home.
This morning, in traffic, I noticed the noise after about 10 minutes. It must be dieing a slow death.
Victorymonster parts shows the pump in the tank. And lists for over $600.
Where can I find a rebuild kit?
Nice weather in the PNW for the next week or so. cheers

·
13,043 Posts
What did Rylan say in his video. He rebuilds them

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Time to share some insight and experiences.
Had to use an impact wrench to bust the nut lose from the ferrol. Cleaned about a tbl spoon of sand out of the tank. :mad: And whoever lined the tank I think used Red Kote (horrible stuff IMO) and did a very poor job of it. It's blistering and falling off. So I cleaned as much of it out as I could with a tack cloth.
Sent the pump off to Iowa to have The Vic shop give er' look. Paid for 2 day shipping but USPS sent it from OR to IA, then back to WA then back to Iowa. Only took 8 days.
Rylan called and gave me the run down on the pump and what their costs are. Got it back just in time to put it on the shelf for the 4th weekend. Finally got around to putting things together Sun. afternoon. Oh, here is a good piece of advice: When Rylan asks you if you need the big o rings for the plug, say yes. Those are a 1 and done o ring and he has them for half of what I paid the dealer. Had I not been desperate to get things on the road, I would have went through Fastenal. 15 times cheaper than the dealer.
Anyway, new filters and a minor overhaul. took it for a 20 min spin and no noise.cheers

·
13,043 Posts
Popkorn

Now that your tank liner is bad make sure you have a full tank of gas when you store it for the winter.
Glade your up and running thumb up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts