Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be one of those 'duh' questions, but this really has me stumped..

Owner's manual says fuel capacity is 5.8 gal. When I run the level down to where the low fuel light comes on, range usually indicates around 40-45 miles, which, I assume, is about 1 gal or so. So, if I do the math right it should take more than 4 gal.

Yet, when I fuel up, it seems to only take a little more than 3 gal to fill up. So my question is; is MOM overstating fuel capacity, is the fuel range really off, or am I just not getting it.

Now, I know that the range is only a 'best guess' and not to solely rely on it, although it does come fairly close to the average MPG.

As an aside; I almost always start looking for gas station when there is on'y 1/4 tank left, so I don't worry to much about running out of fuel. I also know that a lot of things affect your mileage, so I guess I am more curious than anything else.

But I do want to know where that extra gallon went.

Thanks in advance your feedback.

'Stumped in AZ'

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Fuel capacity is up to mom but fuel economy is up to each rider. If you search the forums you'll find that most people (a lot of which never had a fuel meter before their Vic) tend to fill up at intervals rather than trust a computer calculated guess.

I ride 10,000 plus miles per summer with a friend that rides a street glide. We both fill up at the same time at around 180 miles. Depending on how fast the 180 miles went we both put about 3.1 gallons in if we've averaged under 80 mph or 3.4 to 4.1 if we've averaged over 80 mph.

Results will vary depending on speed, weather, traffic, elevation, temp, etc...

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Yep, it's a quirk with the X bikes, most noticeable on the XC's. These bikes use an inside the tank fuel pump that relies on the fuel to keep it cool so in practical use you really should plan on filling up at no less than 1/4 tank; before that if it isn't inconvenient.

It will handle the occasional extreme low fuel level but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

The fuel sensor in these bikes aren't linear either. They move slow as heck at full(ish) tank mark but move very fast between 3/4 and empty. You can stop looking at the fuel gauge and use your odometer like many folks do if that works better for you. Just fill up at the 150 miles point so if you find yourself having to go farther for gas; you won't run out. I've ran mine almost to empty and got 225 miles. I think, IIRC, I put in 5.7 gal at that point and felt lucky to not run out due to my stupidity.

My KP doesn't have a gauge which I found to be okay on an 04 but all bikes should have a fuel gauge by 2007 or so but Victory chose not to do that with the steel frame bikes for whatever reason. I just fill up sometime after 100 miles on that bike even though I could probably go another 60-80 miles before running on fumes.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Wouldn't it be cool if someone made an emergency can of gas about the size of a 16 can of beer that didn't go bad as long as it wasn't opened? I'd have a couple of those bad boys, one in each saddle bag of both bikes in a protective container; just in case I or someone needed it.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
My tank once went bone dry at 260 miles. Light goes on with about 1.5 gallons remaining. When the light comes in, I mentally figure I have a max of 60 miles left, using a low mpg of 40. When in doubt.....

·
Registered
321 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Finding a container isn't the problem. The problem is the fuel starts going bad after just one month. I suppose someone could go through all the trouble to put the old gas in their tank at every fill up and put new gas in the container each time but that isn't what I was hoping for one day.

A literal pop top can of gas that doesn't go bad so it will be there 5 or 10 years down the road if needed without having to change out the fuel in it every month.

I greatly appreciate the effort to find that though. thumb up

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wouldn't it be cool if someone made an emergency can of gas about the size of a 16 can of beer that didn't go bad as long as it wasn't opened? I'd have a couple of those bad boys, one in each saddle bag of both bikes in a protective container; just in case I or someone needed it.
It doesn't seal and keep gas fresh but it is a comfort having it. I carry one when heading out on road trips.
Reda Innovations Official Website

My gas light comes on at about 140 miles depending on wind and twist. My bike averages 38-39 mpg consistently no matter my twisting style. Most I have put in has been just shy of 4 gallons.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
It doesn't seal and keep gas fresh but it is a comfort having it. I carry one when heading out on road trips.
Reda Innovations Official Website

My gas light comes on at about 140 miles depending on wind and twist. My bike averages 38-39 mpg consistently no matter my twisting style. Most I have put in has been just shy of 4 gallons.
I've seen those before. Great idea for HD saddlebags. I looked but couldn't find how much they hold; do you know?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I had one of the REDA Innovations gas cans about 6-7 years ago...but the lid bound up on it...it appears that they have addressed that and some other issues with a new version of this can.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
I had one of the REDA Innovations gas cans about 6-7 years ago...but the lid bound up on it...it appears that they have addressed that and some other issues with a new version of this can.
How does it fit in your Vic's cases? Got a pic? :nerd

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I get about 47 to 48 mpg on my CCT....Now when I go to fill it up it depends on how far I want to push the fill level as to how much it will hold.
. With bike leaning on stand or stand it up straight and get a little more in. It does seem like it takes awhile to come off the full mark and when it does it seems to go down quicker. Who cares ! ! I JUST LOVE TO RIDE ! !

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
How does it fit in your Vic's cases? Got a pic? :nerd

Unfortunately I threw mine away about a year ago. If I remember correctly, it did fit in the rear or the saddlebag with the slant, but not near as perfect as it does in a Harley.

And to be honest...I think I took it only ONE trip. I was more worried about the smell (it didn't leak or smell), but I was worried about it...and leaking (and no, it didn't leak), and finally wrecking and the bike exploding, (and no wrecks - no explosions). Basically I took it the one time...and never took it again. UNLESS I was out west doing a ride in the middle of nowhere would I even consider taking one with me....instead, I prefer to FILL UP often as opposed to some of my buddies that run their bikes to fumes.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Life is like that for a motorcyclist: You carry all kinds of stuff for emergencies and repairs and you only use it when others need it. Its been that way for me for 65 years. But I'm not complaining, mind you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've seen those before. Great idea for HD saddlebags. I looked but couldn't find how much they hold; do you know?
Just short of a gallon. If anyone happens to get one leave a little room at the top for expansion in hot conditions. I recently rode through Kansas into Colorado about 525 miles with the can in saddle bag. 145 miles between my last Kansas gas and first Colorado gas in route. Can was in my right side bag so as to avoid being in direct sun, North side if you will, temps were mid 90's and upon arriving in Littleton I removed the swollen can from the bag to let it cool a bit before opening to relieve the expansion. Fortunately there was no spillage. The redesigned lid worked because there was no odor in the bag when I went to remove the can.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I just use a can of True fuel as a backup, if you need to keep it cool you can stuff it into a wine bottle cooler.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had two aluminum bottles similar to the green ones posted. They were red (fuel) in color, 30 oz. Purchased from the local "outdoor" store - camping/backpacking. Carried one in each hard saddlebag when I had the Valk. Lid sealed tight. Stored as near vertical as possible. I checked them numerous times for leaks or building pressure. No leaks - no pressure. The Valk could get thirsty at times. Figured I could get 15/20 miles with the extra gas.

·
13,026 Posts
with a vision I have 2 gas tanks, 3 gallons on each side of frame. So filling up takes some time for the AIR to burp out. I fill up till gas is at very top of neck. If I don't pay attentions I do get a false fill up. Now I have been on many trips with six or seven others and we all have a understanding first one to half a tank we stop and get gas. If you don't want to fill up thats fine but don't expect us to stop down the road later when you need gas. Even on a saturday or sunday ride one need gas we all need gas. None of us have ever ran out not even in desert country

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Thats the way I ride. I fill up when I meet up with a group..and then EVERY time they stop thereafter....I'm rarely in need of gas on a long trip. When I ride by myself (many LONG trips)...I start looking at about 175 miles and usually get worried at about 190 miles, but have gone 205 miles before on a tank of gas. I do 5-7 long trips a year (more than 700 miles in a day)...and those trips are usually a total of about 2500-4000 miles.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
All one needs to make certain you have plenty in the tank is fill up every time a Harley Sportster does. So invite a Sportster rider along.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts