Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See attached images and let me explain. Have a 2004 Vegas, and two issues. First, was this annoying rattle coming from the front end somewhere, tried to locate it to no avail. Second was a small slow weap of fuel coming down on the inside of the left side of the tank, was making a mess of things, but a very slow leak.

So I pulled the tank and investigated.... I found the rattle was coming from inside the tank! The strap that holds in internal overfill drain line/vent was broken in two. In turn the rattle happened through vibration of the two metal pieces rubbing together, and also as a result the vibration has fatigued the vent braze connection on the bottom of the tank causing the slow leak. Unfortunately my bike is not applicable to any of the fuel tank recalls. Victory told me it was my cost to incur. So on to find a solution that doesn't require me replacing the tank...

My questions. Could I removed the overfill tank vent assembly and straps completely and plug the hole? If my logic is right, i would think the gas cap would vent enough to allow vapors to escape, and in an overflow situation the fuel would go out the cap and into the fuel tank fill well area and down into the water drain tube and onto the ground. Or does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the vent strap (keep in mind it is inside the tank (explosion potential) and very little room to work). Once the vent strap was secured I could resolder or epoxy the crack in the braze on the vent tube outlet. Help me.... I miss riding my bike.
Sorry for the long post. cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
You need a new tank.
I was at a dealership in 07 and a similar thing happened to an 04 kp. Without me even asking victory sent a new tank asap. Cheaper for them to replace your faulty tank, which is a fire hazard, then pay you family to settle out of court upon your firey death.
I'd raise a fuss if it were me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need a new tank.
I was at a dealership in 07 and a similar thing happened to an 04 kp. Without me even asking victory sent a new tank asap. Cheaper for them to replace your faulty tank, which is a fire hazard, then pay you family to settle out of court upon your firey death.
I'd raise a fuss if it were me.
may I ask what dealer, I am in Iowa too.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It was the now-closed D&J Motorsports.

Any dealer worth their salt will try and help you get this resolved through Victory. This is a known problem on the 03's and there was a recall - why your 04 has this tank and/or it doesn't apply I don't know. The only thing I can think is if you bought this tank off e-bay (or another 3rd party) and it was a "supposed to be destroyed" old recalled tank and/or they have some record of something similar.

Anyway it's worth a shot and no, I wouldn't attempt any repair on it if that falls through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts