Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone using non-ethanol fuel in their bike? I know I get better performance and milage in my car but was wondering if it's high enought octane for the bike

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
What octane is the ethanol-free you all got out there? I think it would just boil down to your ambient air temps and if you were getting pinging based on lower octane the same as fuel containing 10% ethanol.
As I understood from another thread talking about it, the major concern would be internal corrosion if your bike was sitting up for any length of time and it was said that adding fuel conditioner to wipe out the water from the ethanol would resolve that issue.

Not sure if your question was octane in general but here is a thread that originated from qouting the ownwers manual stating to run 91 and where we discussed it in length afterwards. Alot of opinions, KevinX called it "The other Oil Thread".. lol...:ltr:

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=11891

Anyway, maybe some good info in there for ya. Safe ridin out on the Island!

Tim

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ethanol or no ethanol, use the octane rating that is recommended in your owner's manual. If ethanol free gas were available here, I would use it in every engine I own! Better gas mileage, better for older vehicles, better for lawn and garden engines, better for carburetors, better for non metalic gas tanks........only thing that ethanol is better for is someone's wallet!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
anyone using non-ethanol fuel in their bike? I know I get better performance and milage in my car but was wondering if it's high enought octane for the bike
Yes I use the non-ethanol gas most of the time. Here in OKC 100% gas is all over the place. I prefer the 89 octane. I have used E-10 when traveling to Texas and I didn't notice any difference in FE. So maybe it doesn't matter in our bikes, but its the easiest to get around here and makes a big difference in my pickup. It doesn't make a difference in my wifes car either. Lets see, pickup is 2006 - car is 2009 - and bike is 2012, maybe tech is better now.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Tim and all for your replys. I figured a Thread was out there but didn't find when searching. Think I will try the non-ethanol for a couple of tanks. I go through a tank almost weekly; needless to say in Hawaii we can ride every day so old fuel is not an issue.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
needless to say in Hawaii we can ride every day so old fuel is not an issue.
Rubbin it in huh... lol... Around here you just got to figure what percentage rain your ok riding against. 30, 40, 50 etc... lol.. If you don't do 30, you don't ride.. I can't complain though, lows over winter were only high teens for a few weeks... No ice.. life was good!

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you run a fuel tuner that you are going for the more preferred 13.1 to 1 and the engine temperatures are much lower then using the lower octane fuel is definitely not an issue. For those with some form of auto tune it will definitely compensate for different fuel types.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Non-ethanol fuel around these parts is sold as "Marine Fuel" and costs about $.11 to $.25 higher than premium... it is very expensive, even more than diesel. I run 93 and just deal with it. I have a warranty for a few more years which should cover me through the E-15 requirement.

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is the solution I've come to on the ethanol-free versus octane situation.

http://www.bellperformance.com/better-gasoline/

I have a station a couple of blocks away that sells ethanol free fuel, but it's 90 octane and priced higher than the 93 octane premium. This Mix-I-Go product solved the issue by allowing me to use 93 octane while offsetting the negative artifacts of the ethanol. I carry a bottle with me and add about 2 teaspoonfuls to each tank. Neutralizing the ethanol appears to have increased my gas mileage by about 4 or 5 mpg as well. I can't say enough about this product. Great value and great stuff!!!

A good buddy of mine, Bob Gill, who was a world record holding motorcycle daredevel back in the 70's is a rep for the company and recommended it to me. I figure he might know a thing or two about motorcycles. For those of you that don't remember him, this might jog your memory.

Bob Gill Motorcycle Daredevil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts