Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Dont know as its "trouble" per say. But since changing my fuel filter I dont know if I miss aligned something or the sending unit is just buggy. But it acts like my old Ford truck did. Stays on full long time. then moves and when it get about 1/4 it aint long before bam light on for low fuel.

Reactions: Victory馃挄馃挴

Administrator
The fuel level response described by djh3 is how all four of our 2012 XCT bikes behave. I think this is endemic to at least that model and probably other models.

Premium Member
I haven't heard this discussed in years. Victory fuel gages are not that great, never have been. Best thing to do to be sure is go by your trip gage.

Registered
My opinion is that the non-linear response of the fuel level is based on the internal shape of the fuel tank. Our tanks are 'U' shaped and angled down toward the back so they straddle the frame. There is a lot of fuel in the larger top section of the tank. The float moves very little until the fuel level begins to drop into the lower 'U' section. Then the fuel level (and the float) drop more quickly. Whether fact or not, if I believe it, then I don't worry about if something is wrong. Trip odometer is key!

Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
160 miles and I want to get off for a few minutes anyway. Fuel and drink. Then it's right back on and go another 160. Rinse and repeat until I get where I'm going.

Registered
On a similar note, I dont want to Shang Hi the thread. But What about filling up? It seems to me there at the end it is slow to "burp" the last bit of fuel in, probably because no way for air to get out once fuel get to top. I shake bike and wait on it. My RSV alot of us took and put a hole or 2 in that flange to let the air out. Anyone done that on their Victory.

Registered
On a similar note, I dont want to Shang Hi the thread. But What about filling up? It seems to me there at the end it is slow to "burp" the last bit of fuel in, probably because no way for air to get out once fuel get to top. I shake bike and wait on it. My RSV alot of us took and put a hole or 2 in that flange to let the air out. Anyone done that on their Victory.
If I put in more fuel, that means my arthritic joints would hurt even more at the next fuel stop :(. But no, I've never heard of anyone drilling vent holes.

160 miles is also my target distance to refuel. The light usually comes on around 180-185 but I rarely go that far. Based on the amount to refill when the light comes on, there is still a reasonable reserve.

Getting every possible mile by filling to the very top is one issue. But be aware that stretching out refill distance by running the tank as low as possible is a real problem. The liquid fuel covering the fuel pump motor acts as coolant to dissipate heat. That motor runs full time while the engine is running. Consistently pushing empty on each tank of gas will probably shorten the life of the fuel pump.

Registered
Electric fuel pumps run on a duty cycle. Thats why when you first turn key on you hear the "buzz" Then it quits. But yea about 180 miles I'm ready for a quick break.

Registered
Electric fuel pumps run on a duty cycle. Thats why when you first turn key on you hear the "buzz" Then it quits. But yea about 180 miles I'm ready for a quick break.
Interesting to know about the duty cycle. I realize the startup is a short cycle to get the line pressurized. Is there a sensor to control that cycle based on some kind of pressure measurement? I guess it must be internal to the pump itself since there are no extra wires for that function coming out of the tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts