Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Fueling and gauge

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  depot picker 
#1 ·
I have been riding for years but never had a bike with a fuel gauge, and was wondering if this is normal for Victory. I filled up and went for a 110 KMS and the fuel gauge did not move off full. The last time I Fueled it, it did the same thing then dropped under 3/4 of a tank. With the gauge still on full it says the range is still saying 350 KMS, how accurate is the range if the fuel gauge is correct?

I was also wondering how far will these bikes go on average when the low fuel light comes on.

One more thing, fueling, I turn the wheel to the left and fuel from the right side. Looking into the tank there is a plate approx. 1 inch down from the neck of the tank. Seems like you must go slow or you splash back up the neck all over the tank. Is there a trick?

Only had the bike out 3 times and my first impression is great.

#2 ·
You'll get used to the gauge and at least it's consistent in how it acts. As far as the range it seems like at some point it changes from showing how far you'll be able to go on that tank total to how far you have left for actual range.

I did two tanks last year that just crept over 400 kms but that was with easy riding and a lot of 80 km/h in Ontario on the Moms Way loop. I always figured I was safe to cover 350 km on a tank no matter the conditions and adjust for extremes from there. Here's a link to all of my 123 fill ups from last season http://www.fuelly.com/driver/chili/cross-country-tour

As far as filling the tank, I always do it with the bike on the side stand bars turned left nozzle angled into the tank towards the back left of the bike and take it easy the last part of the fill.

#3 ·
Fuel from the left side of the bike and you will avoid the splash. I also noticed the sudden drop in the fuel gauge after a certain number of miles. Seems like I get 100 or so miles before the gauge drops to 3/4 and then down from there.

#4 ·
Once the gauge comes off full, you got about half a tank!

#5 ·
Been riding before there was gas gages and to this day never seen one that works right.
I have pulled into a bar with 3/4 of a tank had a beer come out and now less then a 1/2 tank. Don't care what bike or model it is.
If you wait till the light comes on your running the risk of burning up your fuel pump.
How can i tell you how many miles you get to a tank when I don't ride like you

#8 ·
I was also wondering how far will these bikes go on average when the low fuel light comes on.

One more thing, fueling, I turn the wheel to the left and fuel from the right side. Looking into the tank there is a plate approx. 1 inch down from the neck of the tank. Seems like you must go slow or you splash back up the neck all over the tank. Is there a trick?
I've made it 14 miles after the light came on and didn't run out of fuel. 10 of that was going 65mph and the last 4 through 35mph traffic. Even then I couldn't squeeze more than 5 gals in the tank so I probably had another 15 miles to go.

The owner's manual says the light comes on when approx 1 gal is left in the tank. While I don't trust the fuel gauge, the light seems to be consistent for me.

Fueling: as someone else said, fuel from the left side of the bike. You can dispense the fuel wide open for the first 3 1/2 gals. Cuts the refueling time in half.

Hope this helps

#9 ·
I have the Crossroads Classic and you cannot fill it with fuel very fast. There's a center piece in the tank that prevents the nozzle from going very far into the tank. I have run my tank/guage to near empty and didn't run out, but I really don't know how far it would go once it starts blinking.

#12 ·
Screw that I bought a McCuff and those things work! I had it for my Harley's because I was always spewing fuel everywhere. Yep, I'm a moron. It's just a peace of mind thing, and for $20 it's worth it to me. Now, let the laughter commence...

#13 · (Edited)
Range

Went for a longer ride since we finally had a nice day. Went 297 Kms and approx. 2 Kms from home the light came on. Six of us went out for this ride and it seemed they were in a rush, running around 115 to 130 Kph. So a good number for me would be 300 Kms plus for a tank. Have not filled it up yet to see what we can put in it, (more Rain today).
Gauge and light is not that close on this bike, Light would flash on for a few seconds the go out and the range would come up still good for 100 Kms ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.