Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did they put their junior engineers on designing the gas tank and fuel spout. I've owned a lot of bikes over the year and I've never had a bike that is so difficult to fuel.

Has anybody removed the gas cap assembly and turned it (right now the caps opens rearward) so that it opens forward and to the left?? it sure seems that would make for easier refueling.

Larry

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just pull up so that I'm filling from the left side of the bike. No problems......for me anyway.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Agreed, it takes some getting used to. I fill from the right, but hold the nozzle straight down.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did they put their junior engineers on designing the gas tank and fuel spout. I've owned a lot of bikes over the year and I've never had a bike that is so difficult to fuel.

Has anybody removed the gas cap assembly and turned it (right now the caps opens rearward) so that it opens forward and to the left?? it sure seems that would make for easier refueling.

Larry
You can't. Only a couple (3 I think) of those bolts are real. The others are appearance only. But, I've heard a lot of grumbling about it and luckily I read about it before I had to fill mine up. I stand on the right with the bars turned full left. Hold the nozzle straight up with the tip pointed towards the right rear of the tank. Never spilled a drop and can fill at full pressure until I see the bubbles then I top it off and it's done. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can't. Only a couple (3 I think) of those bolts are real. The others are appearance only. But, I've heard a lot of grumbling about it and luckily I read about it before I had to fill mine up. I stand on the right with the bars turned full left. Hold the nozzle straight up with the tip pointed towards the right rear of the tank. Never spilled a drop and can fill at full pressure until I see the bubbles then I top it off and it's done. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info....

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Haha i like this, so many think the vic engineers are so great, this is one of their oops!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Maybe, but then again it may have been the design guys who determined we must pay attention when fueling. Everybody understands what happens when we pee on a flat rock. cheers

An OOPS would be the discolored exhaust pipe that reflects off the chrome sprocket cover. Makes me wish mine was Sunset Red.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
12,216 Posts
Haha i like this, so many think the vic engineers are so great, this is one of their oops!Sent from Motorcycle.com App
No point in blaming Vic engineers for this one, its a federal DOT regulation that gas caps have the hinge toward the rider for safety purposes. If you don't like it, write your Congressman, they are always there to help us and serve our country.:ltr::ltr::ltr:

·
Registered
12,216 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
The point of my question is, if the hinge is a safety issue, then why aren't all mc has caps made in like manor to the Victory's ? If that is true then all bikes that don't have a hinge would be unfit for the road. Right ?

·
Registered
597 Posts
no problems fueling mine(only done it twice:crzy:)
been pulling up to the LEFT of pumps for years,now on the right
I guess there could be WAY worse things to bitch about!:D

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I agree it could be worse, not complaining because ive gotten use to it, but i do agree its a piss poor design!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I always fuel from the left, with my bike on the side stand. Some pumps I notice shoot the fuel out like a fire hose, and are either off or full blast with no modulation, these pumps suck. I like to be able to pump nice and slow to avoid over splash.... Does this post sound a little, strange? :D

·
Registered
12,216 Posts
The point of my question is, if the hinge is a safety issue, then why aren't all mc has caps made in like manor to the Victory's ? If that is true then all bikes that don't have a hinge would be unfit for the road. Right ?Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
If the hinge is closest to the rider and in the event of a crash, if the fuel cap pops up and the rider slides forward, he will not become the lead soprano in the church choir overnight. Get the picture?
BTW, I find it easier to pump fuel into her from the right--just to tee off you lefties.:ltr:

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
If the hinge is closest to the rider and in the event of a crash, if the fuel cap pops up and the rider slides forward, he will not become the lead soprano in the church choir overnight. Get the picture?
BTW, I find it easier to pump fuel into her from the right--just to tee off you lefties.:ltr:
Ric , I pump left , I live right !thumb up:D

·
Registered
427 Posts
I pull up to whatever side of the pump is open and just deal with it! The biggest complaint is getting it truly full is a pain in the arse.....oh well...

·
Registered
75 Posts
So then why do the gas caps come completely off of Harleys ?

So you can drop it and have to bend over to pick it up or worse - drive away, only to realize, a 10th of a mile down the road, you left the cap on the pump; at which point you make an unsafe U-Turn and splash your $4.29 per gal fuel all over you leg, pull back into the gas station next to the Soccer-Mom who assumed your previous position at the pump and sheepishly grab the cap and fix it to the tank....all along hoping the security cam video, with your license place clearly in view, doesn't make it's way to YouTube...

·
Registered
12,216 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts