Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the secret? There's a bar in the filler hole that prevents the gas nozzle from going in the tank very far. And unless you just dribble gas in, it splashes back from hitting the bar and gets on the tank.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm not sure I'm doing it right, but I hold the nozzle almost straight up, with the tip pointed toward the right. (I have to hold the trigger with my thumb.) This seems to eliminate most of the splashing even with the pump going full blast.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I have drilled a couple holes in mine around the filler hole, but for me i stand on the left and point it down to the right.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
I have drilled a couple holes in mine around the filler hole, but for me i stand on the left and point it down to the right.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

same here. I also get a paper towel and hold it over the nozzle while filling to prevent splashes. I keep it there while moving the nozzle away from fill hole too. It always drips because of the angle it is held (can't get it vertical to let it drain), and I catch the drips in the towel
It may seem OCD, but my last bike (a HD I bought used) had SEVERAL gas drip stains in the paint that I swore I would never let happen on my new baby.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Like others have said...fuel from the left. But I bought the Ness Gas Cap and I that gives me a WHOLE lot more room to move the nozzle around...I love my EXPENSIVE gas cap. It was worth the money I spent on it.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Like others have said...fuel from the left. But I bought the Ness Gas Cap and I that gives me a WHOLE lot more room to move the nozzle around...I love my EXPENSIVE gas cap. It was worth the money I spent on it.
Funny you mention that since I was thinking about getting one, but was afraid it might be harder to fill up. Thanks for the info!
Know what is going to be on my Christmas list thumb up

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Way too expensive...but hell, every bike part is expensive. I LOVE fill ups now. I hated that danged Victory gas cap.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you talking about the beveled gas cap from Ness? What exactly does it do?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
It eliminates having part of the gas cap IN THE WAY of putting a nozzle in the tank. It also makes fill ups faster because you're not hunting a key to open the tank with...And finally, I think (IMO) that the appearance of it is nicer than the flat Victory cap.

It does NOT however, stop splashing. You still have to be careful on fill ups, but you can now maneuver the nozzle any way you want.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How does it give you more room to move around? Does it screw off instead of flipping up?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Yep...threads are BIG and it EASILY screws off and on. You can actually SPIN it off. Most people wouldn't regret getting it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I hated filling my XCT after coming off of Vulcans for many years. I was filling from the right like I always did, but I took these guys advice and tried it from the left side. Way easier...but I freakin HATE those nozzles that you have to push up the little sleeve in order for the thing to pump fuel. F***ing nightmare to pull up the sleeve, see in the tank, squeeze/hold the nozzle, stop when full, top off a little extra....all while looking cool doing it....:mad::).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the tip on the Ness gas cap... just ordered one. I hate that flip-up cap.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I always fill from the right and angle the nozzle back down and to the right an let it rip. I usually fill when the light comes on which is always 4 gallons so I just ease up on the trigger when it gets close to 4 gallons.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I fuel up from the right side and angle the nozzle straight in and never have a problem. I do not squeeze the trigger all the way and let the gas flow in slow therefore no splash back.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts