Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thankfully we have an abundance of Ethanol Free stations where I live ranging from 89-93 octane. With 93 pure gas I seem to average about 2-3mpg more than running 87 blended. When I cannot get pure gas I keep a bottle of Lucas fuel stabilizer as an "additive".

I refuse to put any octane boost in my bikes I have seen too many long term negative effects on fuel systems. So as fellow XC/XCT owners are any of you getting any better performance or mileage with different fuels or additives?

Thanks and ride safe yall!:devil

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I use Sea Foam, put a few ounces in a full tank for winter storage and usually another few ounces once a month during riding season. I gas up with the highest octane available fuel, in this area its 91-93, but I don't seek out ethanol free fuel.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Unleaded fuels are very "dry". I feel like the fuel pump needs some lubrication, so I will put an ounce in each fill-up of Marvel's Mystery Oil just for GP.

·
Registered
889 Posts
This list has come up before but I have to say some of the information is quite old and may not be accurate. Best to do some confirming locally. In Canada the ethanol level is stipulated to be 5% however due to the reduced wholesale prices the gas companies raise that to approximately 10%. Gotta love the grain lobbyists.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Just about every auto chemical manufacturer offers cleaners/protectors and lubricants aimed at ethanol gas. For the few cents per tank it seems the downsides of ethanol can be reduced.

·
12,984 Posts
I believe Kevinx said running 89 was best. You only need 91 for desert and high mountain terrain. Any thing over 91 will varnish your valves and piston crate higher motor heat. As fas as better mileage that all could be in your right hand or temp and dew point of the day.
The factory say run 91 because there are to many that don't know what to do.

I will not start on the snake oil additives you can add to your gas and oil

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Marvel Mystery oil here also.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
A monthly dose of seafoam or berrymans b12 will help keep things from being gummy. On my last bike a carbed RSV with all the moving what nots in the carb it was pretty important to run a dose thur like once a month.
Unleaded fuel is "dryer" than the old leaded type fuels, and possibly the ethnol ones are dryer yet. So the Marvel may have good merit.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Castor oil makes the exhaust smell nice!
That on the fence at the speedway type smell.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
KevinX told me after I had installed the Lloyds air filter, timing wheel at +6 degrees, PCV, and had kevinX dynotune the bike that I should only run 93 octane due to the timing wheel advance. In the absence of the timing wheel at +6, I suspect that standard octane gas would be just fine.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I believe Kevinx said running 89 was best. You only need 91 for desert and high mountain terrain. Any thing over 91 will varnish your valves and piston crate higher motor heat. As fas as better mileage that all could be in your right hand or temp and dew point of the day.
The factory say run 91 because there are to many that don't know what to do.

I will not start on the snake oil additives you can add to your gas and oil
So you don't have to run 91 or up? In most places I gas up, I can only get 87, 89, or 93 octane. However, the Gate station up the street sells 89 octane ethanol free.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Buy the 89 ethanol free. No you don't need to run 91, 87 octane is no good either though. I have used 87 and bike runs like ****. I live at a higher elevation so I use 91 octane. Our elevation here in Calgary is around 3500ft, when I ride west I often hit 5000ft.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Buy the 89 ethanol free. No you don't need to run 91, 87 octane is no good either though. I have used 87 and bike runs like ****. I live at a higher elevation so I use 91 octane. Our elevation here in Calgary is around 3500ft, when I ride west I often hit 5000ft.
That is cool, but not all gas stations sell it. I think it is about the only one near me that does. BTW...I'm in Florida, elevation isn't a deal breaker here.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm in central Fla also. Only one or 2 stations in town have ethanol free stuff and they are are on wrong end of town for me. Plus they get something ridiculous for it like .80-.90 more per gallon. I am really bad, I usually plop regular in there before I remember. The RSV I had was fine.
And one of my issues is the pumps all have one hose to service from. So I push mid grade whatever it be. Pump comes on, how much of the last quality of gas do I get (probably regualr) before I get the higher priced fuel I'm paying for? Probably half gallon or more, so I guess trick is make sure your really empty.

·
12,984 Posts
To me stations that sell non ethanol gas seems to have one hose for each grade of gas. I have ask one station if you only have one hose how much different grade of gas am I getting.
You can download prue gas app to your phone.
I run 89 octane constantly and have wheel set at +3 no problems. But we only have medium hills around here. I have been told when running mountains and desert country I should use 91 octane. I have been told 93 octane creates more motor heat and not worth the money.

this is not the app its just there web site
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yea I have the app and also a link to the web site. But I just dont think to run to the opposite end of town for gas when I need it. So then nonethanol fuel is pretty much out, requiring a special trip and cost is about .50 gallon more. I run it thru fast enough so not to worried about gum.
Q: I ride a motorcycle with a typical three to four gallon gas tank. I ride where fuel stations are farther apart, so I fill up when the tank is still half full. The bike requires premium fuel, and doesn't run well on lower octanes. If the previous customer was pumping regular fuel, I assume the refueling hose is still full of regular fuel, perhaps a couple of gallons. This would mean I'm initially getting a mix instead of pure premium fuel. Is this a genuine concern, or does the system have a mechanism for evacuating the gas pump hose between uses?
-- Paul Kowacki,
Orange Mass.A: It is a genuine concern, but one that motorcyclists tend to appreciate more than car drivers. According to the American Petroleum Institute the gas-pump hose typically retains about one third of a gallon of fuel. So when you pump a couple gallons of 93-octane premium after the previous customer pumped 87-octane regular, your fuel load would be diluted (not to mention overpriced).

This is more important to motorcyclists because bikes have smaller fuel tanks and a lower tolerance for low-octane gas compared with most cars. I have found that high-performance motorcycles designed to burn premium fuel run poorly on regular. They generally do not have the complex engine-control systems that allow cars to run on fuels of varying octane ratings.

I don't think diluting your premium fuel with a little regular will harm your motorcycle, especially if you always select the highest octane rating available. However, next time you're filling up you may want to get in line behind the driver with the highest-performance car in the station.
wall street journal

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm lost at to why higher elevation is requiring higher octane gas. When I used to drag race motorcycles higher elevation meant we could run more blower boost and bump the timing because the effective compression ratio at 5,000 due to lack of oxygen lowered the CR 1 full point. Our 9.5 CR are operating at 8.5 at 5,000 feet. lower CR lowers the need for higher octane.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Yea I have the app and also a link to the web site. But I just dont think to run to the opposite end of town for gas when I need it. So then nonethanol fuel is pretty much out, requiring a special trip and cost is about .50 gallon more. I run it thru fast enough so not to worried about gum.
wall street journal
If you're not willing to go out of your way to get decent gasoline, and pay a little more then that's your problem.
Glad I live in a country where higher octane, non ethanol is available at 95% of stations, and we don't have those mixer pumps.....yet.
Here Premium Unleaded costs around 20c a litre more, that's 80c a Gallon.
I paid the equivalent of $5 a Gallon yesterday, some stations it's closer to $6 a Gallon.thats for the equivalent of a US gallon.
Ii always use non ethanol premium.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts