Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It can be really boring. The summer isn't to bad with all the work around the property. I generally get out and work around the place for about 4 hours a day. But winter is starting to suck and the cold weather has came in early this year. Thinking about taking some classes on doing leather work. Start making leather tool bags, sissy bar bags etc. I know where I might be able to pick up a old leather hand stitching machine pretty cheap. I know I need to get motivated to do something.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It can be really boring. The summer isn't to bad with all the work around the property. I generally get out and work around the place for about 4 hours a day. But winter is starting to suck and the cold weather has came in early this year. Thinking about taking some classes on doing leather work. Start making leather tool bags, sissy bar bags etc. I know where I might be able to pick up a old leather hand stitching machine pretty cheap. I know I need to get motivated to do something.
I went into a tailspin after I retired. Lasted for six or so months. My only relief were long bike rides.

I found it took some time to decompress fully after a stressful 33 year career with the same company. My personal solution is to bury myself in morning bible study and prayer, home and property improvements long neglected, and hobbies.

I hope you find new purpose. Too many retire and die shortly thereafter.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Great minds think alike. I did the same thing years ago when it became obvious my working full time days were done. Picked up a good leather stitching machine and started playing with some ideas. I still make the heat shields although due to Vic going out of business; those don't sell like they used to.

Like you; my property and six current vehicles keep me busy. Sometimes too busy but as you said; it gets harder to do those outside things as the weather turns cold. Maybe if I had a heated/insulated garage...

This is the leather machine I use. Pricy but well worth it. Very sturdy and can go through 3/4" of leather layers.

https://leathermachineco.com/product/cobra-class-4-s-standard-package/

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I can’t sit around the house for too many days in a row, so I travel. I can’t imagine sitting around doing nothing...but I retired much younger than most people too.

My 92 year old grandmother doesn’t even sit around the house.

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
I can’t sit around the house for too many days in a row, so I travel. I can’t imagine sitting around doing nothing...but I retired much younger than most people too.

My 92 year old grandmother doesn’t even sit around the house.
I'm surprised to hear you're retired. I hope you didn't retire with a bum back like I did at 47.

Traveling is a good way to spend time as long as you have someone to do it with.

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
I can vouch for @BBob leather working skils, it is GOOD..

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I'm surprised to hear you're retired. I hope you didn't retire with a bum back like I did at 47.

Traveling is a good way to spend time as long as you have someone to do it with.

Got a bad back, but not bad like yours is. I retired at 41, I’m 44 now. I occasionally help a friend of mine’s business (sales), but just in an entertaining capacity. Lucky to have a wife that is a professor at a major university.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Retired at 55 and turned 70 Today .. Managed to Log a minimum of 300,000 Miles since retired and enjoyed every bit of it .. Taking a Cash Buyout Option at Retirement has definitely cut my income way back so don't do near the miles I did when first retired but still manage at least 10,000 a Year .. No Regrets retired when was healthy and enjoyed many things had missed out on during my working years ..

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Bbob, kinda in the same boat as you... Had no real choice in retiring. 6 back surgeries with the last one being fusion at S1. I used to really enjoy playing pool as a hobby and even provided a little income, but haven't been able to play for years. I'm fortunate in that I at least can still ride at this point. Only 62y.o.

Here's a pic of what the ol' spine looks like today:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd planned to retire at 65. By 60, my health was eroding very quickly. Gout and gall bladder issues put me down six to eight weeks every year. Not as bad as a bad back or fused vertebrae, but I saw the writing on the wall. Stress was robbing me of my health and killing me slowly.

After being on my back for ten days or so at home, I emailed my boss and asked her to contact HR. I was retiring.

Within two months of retirement, I'd lost forty pounds. Two years after retirement, gout and gall bladder issues are a distant memory.

I honestly state that I feel as good (and healthy) as I did in my early thirties.

Stress kills.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I retired 5 months ago before I turned 62. I've never been bored a day in my life at any time. My wife and I are getting our passports redone and have many trips planned. I guess some have a harder time letting go of working. Not me. We plan on hitting all of the lower 48 states motorcycling. I'll be busy next year with all the trips we have lined up. Busy living the dream is better than busy working any day!

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Stress kills.
It sure does. I don't miss the stress one bit and I stay plenty busy. As busy as I care to most days.

I'm still working on losing the weight. It's a slow process. Has to be to stay off; at least in my case. Staying busy helps with that too. As soon as I get caught up with everything here I'm gonna stop at a gym a few times a week and take my dogs out on country walks at least twice a week. I'm doing that already. Nothing makes them happier except maybe their morning treat.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well it's just gone midnight here in Queensland Australia so that means that this time next year I'll be officially retired. My job has a compulsory retirement age of 60 and it's a great feeling to be only a year away from the finish line!

Lots of projects lined up already so I won't be bored!

Cheers to all you retirees,

Russ.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Wow - "mandatory retirement age"? What sort of job has this?

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got a project I'll be starting on next week on my wife's patio. The weather has warmed up some and these projects give me something to do. I don't have any resent pictures of her patio or I would post one. When the winds are low in the winter we like to set out there in the evenings, light the propane fire pit and have a couple of cocktails. For years we had a hot tub on her patio and loved seating in it on cold nights. But we got to where we didn't use it and sold it. Up keep is a big hassle on hot tubs and pools, we have had both. Right now we are saving up for a newer truck so we are careful with how much money we put into our projects. I also go down to a old bike shop, have a few beers and shoot the ****. But like everything there is just a few of us that show up anymore. At one time the parking lot was full of scooters and 15 people setting around tell stories of our resent adventures. Now it's pretty much a few pickups and 5 or 6 people telling the same stories we did 15 years ago. Occasionally there will be 4 or 5 of us ride to the shop in the summer. But there was a time we would be on our scooter in just about any kind of weather.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
I've got a project I'll be starting on next week on my wife's patio. The weather has warmed up some and these projects give me something to do. I don't have any resent pictures of her patio or I would post one. When the winds are low in the winter we like to set out there in the evenings, light the propane fire pit and have a couple of cocktails. For years we had a hot tub on her patio and loved seating in it on cold nights. But we got to where we didn't use it and sold it. Up keep is a big hassle on hot tubs and pools, we have had both. Right now we are saving up for a newer truck so we are careful with how much money we put into our projects. I also go down to a old bike shop, have a few beers and shoot the ****. But like everything there is just a few of us that show up anymore. At one time the parking lot was full of scooters and 15 people setting around tell stories of our resent adventures. Now it's pretty much a few pickups and 5 or 6 people telling the same stories we did 15 years ago. Occasionally there will be 4 or 5 of us ride to the shop in the summer. But there was a time we would be on our scooter in just about any kind of weather.
Times and things change my friend. That's about the only constant besides death and taxes. The smart ones minimize the latter. ;)

Same thing happened to me with a hot tub 25 years ago or so. Always wanted one, finally got a nice big one with all the bells and whistles, used it like crazy for many months, had lots of fun in it, then used it less and less until I realized it was no longer worth keeping around so I sold it to the next person to cross off their bucket list.

A lot of people will keep something like that around until it rots out and becomes junk for the landfill. Better to get rid of it while it's still worth something.

Sometimes I imagine what it will be like for all the people who have these beautiful old gas hog muscle cars when the world starts transitioning to electric cars. I hope I'm long gone when that happens...

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I just put in a new deck, fire pit, and cooking area this summer. Kept me busy. Replaced our fence and extended the yard too. Still a work in progress, but it’s useable now.

Now she wants a pool on the other half of the yard.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Wow - "mandatory retirement age"? What sort of job has this?
I'm a police officer for the state of Queensland. I'll have 31 years service this time next year, so I reckon I'll have done my time!

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
I just put in a new deck, fire pit, and cooking area this summer. Kept me busy. Replaced our fence and extended the yard too. Still a work in progress, but it’s useable now.

Now she wants a pool on the other half of the yard.

How do you make a fire pit... Does it keep clean after you used it?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 20 of 69 Posts