Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree with exercise as being one of several keys to maintaining good health, although I'm not consistent with "exercising" that key. Muscle tone is still pretty good.

I believe other keys are managing stress, sufficient sleep and diet.

When I was employed, I found myself drinking myself to sleep. That stopped after I retired. Now I sleep 6+ hours a night without using a crutch. I eat kale and kelp with every meal, mostly as a mineral supplement. I used to buy kale and then dry and powder it. Found Amazon sells it for a decent price. I'll provide a link if anyone's interested.

I won't launch into a monologue of what I think I know about nutrition, but my understanding is Americans are severely deficit in potassium and vitamin D. Kale is my attempt to provide the average minimum 4.7 grams my body needs daily. I get plenty of sunlight and tan easily, so that's a plus.

Edited to add that I don't take drugs, prescription or recreational.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
you could move to where its sunny all year and ride.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I agree with exercise as being one of several keys to maintaining good health, although I'm not consistent with "exercising" that key. Muscle tone is still pretty good.

Vodka work really well too. I drink plenty of vodka, while sitting in the sun light soaking up that vitamin D.

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
You see huge numbers of gimmicks for getting in shape, becoming healthier, losing weight, etc. but I am convinced that simple exercise is the "magic bullet" for health. I have worked out zealously for the last ~30 years and I am in great health. I do not take a single prescription drug, I am fit, all of my routine blood work indicators are within the recommended range. In addition, exercising allows me to eat a lot of crappy food, drink a lot, and still be in great shape and great health. My family history would not suggest I should be so healthy so I believe exercise is the main reason for my health. Of course, this is merely one anecdote and I am one bad driver away from buying the farm if I get hit while on my bike.
I know two guys I used to work with who were exercise freaks, ate a very healthy diet, and never smoked or drank. Both ended up having to have major heart surgeries in their early sixties which both blamed on genetics. They both now eat much worse but still exercise but not as much as they did before the heart problems. They both said it was not worth it. You can't hide from your genes!

Reactions: Blowndodge and BBob

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts
I know two guys I used to work with who were exercise freaks, ate a very healthy diet, and never smoked or drank. Both ended up having to have major heart surgeries in their early sixties which both blamed on genetics. They both now eat much worse but still exercise but not as much as they did before the heart problems. They both said it was not worth it. You can't hide from your genes!
If 2.4 million years of humans was compressed into a 24 hour clock

We would eat 24 hours of meat
6 minutes of weed stuff
6 seconds of proccesed food

Sooooo steak let it RIBBB....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

Reactions: CanuckRob and BBob

·
Premium Member
13,726 Posts
If 2.4 million years of humans was compressed into a 24 hour clock

We would eat 24 hours of meat
6 minutes of weed stuff
6 seconds of proccesed food

Sooooo steak let it RIBBB....
Mmmmmm.... BACON!! Meat candy! Me likey bacon. :)

I personally eat far more pork than beef on the keto style of eating just because I like it better. I'm an animal lover but the fact is almost all living creatures eat meat. Even vegan's love meat. They love the way it smells and tastes and when their deprived bodies get sick from lack of it; they get to enjoy it all over again.

Look at nature. Coyote eat the rabbits. Mountain lions eat both. In Africa the predators eat the prey all the time. In the ocean the bigger fish usually eat the smaller fish; there are exceptions when the smaller fish swarm and take out the larger fish.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Mmmmmm.... BACON!! Meat candy! Me likey bacon. :)

I personally eat far more pork than beef on the keto style of eating just because I like it better. I'm an animal lover but the fact is almost all living creatures eat meat. Even vegan's love meat. They love the way it smells and tastes and when their deprived bodies get sick from lack of it; they get to enjoy it all over again.

Look at nature. Coyote eat the rabbits. Mountain lions eat both. In Africa the predators eat the prey all the time. In the ocean the bigger fish usually eat the smaller fish; there are exceptions when the smaller fish swarm and take out the larger fish.
There also carnivorous plants.
https://www.britannica.com/plant/carnivorous-plant

I eat to much bacon. Most of the time I'll cook a whole package. We just leave it on the counter and eat on it all day.

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
Wife and I joined a "Prevent type II diabetes" group. A week or two into it, I went full KETO. It started in July and I'm down 22Lb. I'm below 200 for the first time in years. I put on weight some after the hip replacement. I'm #1 in the group for losing weight, but I haven't told them how. They still focus on calories and fat. They need to think about carbs.

·
Registered
247 Posts
"I loved running, lifting and being in shape." Ditto that. Used to run 5-7 miles, followed by an hour of weightlifting 4 days a week well into my 60's. And it paid off. Feel 40 at 74, take no meds and play all day.:eek:devil:laugh

·
Registered
40 Posts
I tried retirement at 62 from setting tile. didn't like it, missed my routing of getting up, feeding dogs, making coffee, getting ready for work and going to starbucks. Then going to work at 7, etc. So I went back to work. Retired for real in june of this year, miss it but it is just too hard on a 66 yr old body.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,755 Posts
So I need to get back to exercising regularly is what I'm reading. Haha.

I was in best shape of my life at 29. Single and working out everyday. Then I got a girlfriend and that routine stopped. I still have the group photo with a group of motorcycle friends, I think Vinish might have been in on that, my clothes all baggy loose. I miss that body.

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Registered
308 Posts
Semi0retired ish

Guy I worked with had a gazillion dollars in 401s (well a fair amount anyway) and worked like a dog. Had all kinds of plans to retire in 5 years and do it "right". Was out working in the yard and had a heart attack. Was two hours before his family checked on him.....He was 6 years younger than me...... His wife is doing ok.......Doc gave me the long face and the optometrist said here comes cataracts so I said screw it. Semi-retired now and getting to love the heck outta it. Probably full of it but figure I have years of stuff to catch up on that I've been putting off..... including riding..... Pretty sure they had my full time position filled before the door slammed... ;-) LMYR

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
"I loved running, lifting and being in shape." Ditto that. Used to run 5-7 miles, followed by an hour of weightlifting 4 days a week well into my 60's. And it paid off. Feel 40 at 74, take no meds and play all day.:eek:devil:laugh
I was into running several times over the years. I'd get to 6.5 miles a day for a few months before my knees said NO MORE. Then I'd need to take a year or so off by the time I stopped. I loved running, but it would have crippled me sooner or later.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I was into running several times over the years. I'd get to 6.5 miles a day for a few months before my knees said NO MORE. Then I'd need to take a year or so off by the time I stopped. I loved running, but it would have crippled me sooner or later.
I ran all my life every chance I got I actually caught a buzz from it....alas....COPD put an end to that...8( can't run now at all.....but I still do my best to walk as much as I can...

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm looking at retirement in the next couple of years. 67 now and working full time. I've got this plan to keep boredom away (as well as riding the HardBall and 30 year old Sporty, and maybe the junk 1980 XL250, and fixing some old generators)............ I've bought this 115 year old school on a couple of acres on the edge of a little country town.......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
I'm looking at retirement in the next couple of years. 67 now and working full time. I've got this plan to keep boredom away (as well as riding the HardBall and 30 year old Sporty, and maybe the junk 1980 XL250, and fixing some old generators)............ I've bought this 115 year old school on a couple of acres on the edge of a little country town.......
Cool as!....we could start a new religious cult?

Reactions: ObiSteve

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Guys...vodka. Every day is a party.

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
What is the average age of the people on this site? I felt like the youngest on here when I joined 7 years ago but getting into my 40's now so probably quite a few younger than I. Need a pole if somebody knows how to set that up.
A pole? You transitioning into retirement as a pole dancer? Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
At my job, we have a minimum retirement age of 57. I will have nearly 40 years of government service in. I am starting to consider retirement now though. I turn 47 next month; but with my conditions it looks very appealing. I love the work I do, but the BS is getting very bad and there are days that the pain is so bad, it makes it difficult to want to get out of bed for a poor management staff. The only options I have is to suck it up and stick it out or hit my TSP, pay off my car and house, and then go on disability. I do not know how I would deal with that!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 76 Posts