Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
At my job, we have a minimum retirement age of 57. I will have nearly 40 years of government service in. I am starting to consider retirement now though. I turn 47 next month; but with my conditions it looks very appealing. I love the work I do, but the BS is getting very bad and there are days that the pain is so bad, it makes it difficult to want to get out of bed for a poor management staff. The only options I have is to suck it up and stick it out or hit my TSP, pay off my car and house, and then go on disability. I do not know how I would deal with that!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Hang in there man. BS is why I retired early and things where tight for a while. I could not stand the crap any longer and the time in to retire. Now everything is paid off, my wife retired and we are doing okay. I did work part time for 8 years and it was off and on, more on. I did shift work 23 years, rotating weekly through most of it. There are times I would work a month straight with no time off, 12 hour shifts much of the time. I was in a lower management position and lazy upper management was pushing their job down on us. They had got in to upper management kissing peoples ass and expected me to do the same. I don't play that came. I got called into the office one day and was told what I would do and how I would do it. I told them will see about that. I hadn't had a day off in weeks and as soon as I got a day off. I went and put in for retirement, my wife and I had discussed it already. It got so bad there that I went to bed pissed off and got up pissed off. My last day there was a 11pm to 7am, My crew and I went to a café and bar after work and I had steak and eggs and washed it down with Jack Daniels. I have never regretted retiring from that place. A ton of bricks dropped of off my shoulders that morning. I got home parked my scooter in the front yard. Went in the house tore the foil paper of the bed room windows. I had the room blacked out to sleep in the day on night shift. Laid across the bed slept a few hours got up showered hopped on my scooter and went bar hopping. I was so relieved it was all behind me, I was happy again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My biggest worry just into retirement was money. Earning money is a habit, an addiction. I lived on savings for several months because I didn't do the paperwork with corporate ahead of time. All paperwork was snail mail and the forms were in the language of corporate legal/finance which was foreign to someone who speaks engineering, so mistakes and omissions were made. House was paid off years earlier and my only debt was my Raider payment. I paid that off several months after my last day. Money worries were totally unfounded.

What I didn't prepare for was the lack of purpose. That took some time and lots of long rides.

Another thing to plan for is taxes for the year you retire and the year you take social security.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Cool as!....we could start a new religious cult😀
Dunno MBX, breaking into the godbothering business is pretty hard, with a lot of existing competition. What I have been thinking of is putting some glamping tents and a spa in the old school horsepaddock, and run back to school weekends. Hire both an AC DC and a Divinyls covers bands for the entertainment, so the guests have both Angus Young and Chrissie Amphlett impersonators falling out of their school uniforms. I reckon people will pay to go to those.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hang in there man. BS is why I retired early and things where tight for a while. I could not stand the crap any longer and the time in to retire. Now everything is paid off, my wife retired and we are doing okay. I did work part time for 8 years and it was off and on, more on. I did shift work 23 years, rotating weekly through most of it. There are times I would work a month straight with no time off, 12 hour shifts much of the time. I was in a lower management position and lazy upper management was pushing their job down on us. They had got in to upper management kissing peoples ass and expected me to do the same. I don't play that came. I got called into the office one day and was told what I would do and how I would do it. I told them will see about that. I hadn't had a day off in weeks and as soon as I got a day off. I went and put in for retirement, my wife and I had discussed it already. It got so bad there that I went to bed pissed off and got up pissed off. My last day there was a 11pm to 7am, My crew and I went to a café and bar after work and I had steak and eggs and washed it down with Jack Daniels. I have never regretted retiring from that place. A ton of bricks dropped of off my shoulders that morning. I got home parked my scooter in the front yard. Went in the house tore the foil paper of the bed room windows. I had the room blacked out to sleep in the day on night shift. Laid across the bed slept a few hours got up showered hopped on my scooter and went bar hopping. I was so relieved it was all behind me, I was happy again.
I am trying. The BS seems to get worse daily!

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I am trying. The BS seems to get worse daily!

I completely understand, it consumes your every thought. You have my prayers to deal with it.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Thanks. I am just glad to be at work considering what I have been through!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks. I am just glad to be at work considering what I have been through!

I remember many (long) periods of great dissatisfaction at work. Management, colleagues, the work itself. During these times I'd start looking for headhunters and job boards, looking for a new start. I eventually realized that no new job or environment would change the issues I was facing. Different company, SOS.

In hindsight, I'm glad I stuck it out. Endurance pays off in the long run.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I don't have a choice. I nearly have 30 years in!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Close up.

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
This is the one we put in at our local community hall at Obi Obi when we rebuilt the hall in 2013. So far it's swallowed about 15 tons of firewood. I have provided 3 tons of it, off my place, mostly from standing dead Ironbark, dead for about 5 to 10 years. Beautiful firewood, slowly burns completely down to a scattering of ash.
We're not using it at the moment though , the declared state of fire emergency was lifted late last week, but there is still a total fire ban locally.
Hall Fire Circle.jpg

61 - 69 of 69 Posts