Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you contemplating buying a Vision or possibly questioning her handling for such a big bike.....check this out. Full tilt with sparks flying on the Dragon.....I rest my case thumb up

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
AWESOME Picture...Make that a POSTER and hang it up in your house!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Unfortunately, your pic displays poor body position. You're so crossed up, it's no wonder you're dragging hard parts. Frankly, I'd be surprised if you said that you've never lowsided or run into other similar issues.

Dragging pegs is of course fine, but dragging hard parts is very dangerous. When this happens, it can lift the rear tire and of course bad things happen.

As Keith Code says, the more YOU lean, the less the bike is forced to. If you scoot about a half cheek off the seat (in the direction of the turn), and follow through with your head like you're supposed to, the bike does not have to lean as severely for the same turn & speed. The more you practice proper riding position, the faster you'll be able to do this exact turn with less lean angle on the bike.

·
Registered
782 Posts
While this article deals with knee-dragging, the physics are still the same for ALL 2 wheeled vehicles. The more you lean, the less the bike is forced to, the better the experience.

While we do not "hang off" on a cruiser or bagger, we do need to follow through with our head (lowered and leaning in the direction of the turn while looking through the turn, not straight ahead), and practice proper body position. This helps to properly load the suspension (instead of imbalance it) and keeps the rider on the bike with a greater degree of stability.

We're obviously not on a track, so extreme and exaggerated variations of this is not required, but lowering your head (close to your in-turn hand) and following through will greatly help your cornering. thumb up

I offer this longer explanation so that you realize I'm not being critical to be mean, but in order to be helpful and offer help rather than criticism.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
While this article deals with knee-dragging, the physics are still the same for ALL 2 wheeled vehicles. The more you lean, the less the bike is forced to, the better the experience.

While we do not "hang off" on a cruiser or bagger, we do need to follow through with our head (lowered and leaning in the direction of the turn while looking through the turn, not straight ahead), and practice proper body position. This helps to properly load the suspension (instead of imbalance it) and keeps the rider on the bike with a greater degree of stability.

We're obviously not on a track, so extreme and exaggerated variations of this is not required, but lowering your head (close to your in-turn hand) and following through will greatly help your cornering. thumb up

I offer this longer explanation so that you realize I'm not being critical to be mean, but in order to be helpful and offer help rather than criticism.
Thanks for the very technical explanation of counter-leaning. I am very familiar with it and practice it regularly on this massive machine. I was practicing it in the shot, although I am no expert racer. I would also challenge you to the angle of the shot in my photograph...not the best camera angle to critique my form. Anyway, I probably could have leaned a bit further to mitigate the drag, but I enjoy grinding my footboards. They are designed to drag and actually give a little as well. That is the only body part dragging in this shot. Although I will admit to dragging my tip-overs from time to time..good form or not.

I posted the shot because it looks cool...not to brag of my riding skills. thumb up

Ride on.....

·
Registered
422 Posts
Which ever looks like a GREAT shot to be proud of!

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've never seen a Vision ridden so hard, so believe me... I am impressed!! It's nice to see someone ride such a large bird so aggressively thumb up

From the shot, it seemed as though the exhaust was dragging, and if that was the case, I wanted to get some of that info out there. As with all forums, we get a lot of different people with different levels of experience, so I figured better safe than sorry.

I hope you weren't offended, that was certainly not my intention. I'm just very used to my sportbike forums where everyone offers riding advice, particularly on a picture post like this. We all try to help one another learn a little more and push ourselves (safely of course). We promote an environment of education and support, and I tend to carry that with me to all other forums I frequent. In many cases folks actually start threads with pics like this and ask to be critiqued in order to gain more knowledge. Again, my apologies if you took it in any other way.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Unfortunately, your pic displays poor body position. You're so crossed up, it's no wonder you're dragging hard parts.

As Keith Code says....
Are you an expert rider? Experienced roadracer? Can you judge a rider's ability from one picture?

The last guy who quoted Keith Code to me (I have read his books) was telling me that a cruiser is all wrong for cornering and that I needed the right tool for the job... Evidently, talk is cheap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What dates were you there? I want to go to killboy.com and see your series taken by these folks

I ordered my stuff from then when I rode my goldwing through a few years back. Way cool.

Now that I have my Vision, I am planning a trip in the spring. I can't wait.thumb up

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've never seen a Vision ridden so hard, so believe me... I am impressed!! It's nice to see someone ride such a large bird so aggressively thumb up

From the shot, it seemed as though the exhaust was dragging, and if that was the case, I wanted to get some of that info out there. As with all forums, we get a lot of different people with different levels of experience, so I figured better safe than sorry.

I hope you weren't offended, that was certainly not my intention. I'm just very used to my sportbike forums where everyone offers riding advice, particularly on a picture post like this. We all try to help one another learn a little more and push ourselves (safely of course). We promote an environment of education and support, and I tend to carry that with me to all other forums I frequent. In many cases folks actually start threads with pics like this and ask to be critiqued in order to gain more knowledge. Again, my apologies if you took it in any other way.
I have skin 6 inches thick so no big deal. The purpose for posting the pic was to display her handling capabilities for such a large machine. By the way, I am 5' 7" and 160 lbs soaking wet. If I can handle her, anyone can....even if my form is not perfect :)

There are a lot of potential buyers of the Vision (and other Vics) that come to this site for rider feedback. I thought posting such a cool picture might help push some people over the edge. I get tired of seeing Harleys everywhere just because they are Harleys. It's a double edged sword though....the more Visions that get on the road, the less unique mine becomes!

I like the Vision because you can ride her hard through twisties after traveling comfortably 600 miles on a highway to get to where the twisties live! As you can tell by my signature, I also had a 2008 Hammer S which I loved. I can honestly say that the Vision is much more fun to ride and much more versatile. I do admit that I miss the Hammer from time to time though.

cheers

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What dates were you there? I want to go to killboy.com and see your series taken by these folks

I ordered my stuff from then when I rode my goldwing through a few years back. Way cool.

Now that I have my Vision, I am planning a trip in the spring. I can't wait.thumb up
I was actually with a group of Victory riders on two occasions last week. Some other Vision riders as well. You can also see Brad dragging a trailer with the Vision through the Dragon and riding her like hell. He is one of the best Vision riders I have seen. You will see two other Vision riders (Matt and Eric) with their girls on the back. It was hard keeping up with them and they were loaded down with gear and girls!

You can go to the site on 10/6 and 10/8 to see the shots. We went around 3PM both days.

You will love the Vision - welcome to Victory!thumb up

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Thanks for the very technical explanation of counter-leaning. I am very familiar with it and practice it regularly on this massive machine. I was practicing it in the shot, although I am no expert racer. I would also challenge you to the angle of the shot in my photograph...not the best camera angle to critique my form. Anyway, I probably could have leaned a bit further to mitigate the drag, but I enjoy grinding my footboards. They are designed to drag and actually give a little as well. That is the only body part dragging in this shot. Although I will admit to dragging my tip-overs from time to time..good form or not.

I posted the shot because it looks cool...not to brag of my riding skills. thumb up

Ride on.....
It's a great pic! I guarantee there is nothing on yout bike that was designed to "drag" however. A very wicked lean angle for a vision, but be aware at this point you are most likely very close to unloading the rear wheel and when that happens, well have a nice ride.

I'm just saying ...

·
Registered
28 Posts
For those of you contemplating buying a Vision or possibly questioning her handling for such a big bike.....check this out. Full tilt with sparks flying on the Dragon.....I rest my case thumb up
Sweet shot. I thought they were tanks but they are obviously very agile.

Here is a test of the police bike.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a great pic! I guarantee there is nothing on yout bike that was designed to "drag" however. A very wicked lean angle for a vision, but be aware at this point you are most likely very close to unloading the rear wheel and when that happens, well have a nice ride.

I'm just saying ...
Actually the floorboards are designed to give a little. I could not agree with you more on the tip-overs. I have dragged the tip-overs before and know not to do that again......my rear wheel did not come off the ground, but it would have for sure. Quite a different sound and feel when that happens....oh **** came to mind pretty quick when I realized what I did. Thank God I corrected fast enough to avoid that messthumb up

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sweet shot. I thought they were tanks but they are obviously very agile.

Here is a test of the police bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quwbe4M_Fvo
Yeah...that is one skilled rider. You need to know your stuff to pull that maneuver.....I am going to take an advanced class in the spring to learn those slow tight maneuvers.....can't wait.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Visiting the 'Vision' forum, just posted a topic on the Cross Roads/Cross country forum regarding the handling of my 2012 Cross Roads (scraping on a turn), someone there said I should have gotten a Vision. If there more clearance on the Vision than the Cross Roads? If anyone know. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Visiting the 'Vision' forum, just posted a topic on the Cross Roads/Cross country forum regarding the handling of my 2012 Cross Roads (scraping on a turn), someone there said I should have gotten a Vision. If there more clearance on the Vision than the Cross Roads? If anyone know. Thanks.
Well, I can tell you the air pressure in my shock was too low the day I went thru the dragon in this shot. If I had more air in my shock,it would not have scrapped thru the turn IMHO.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts