Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv'e been checking out some helmets to replace my old HJC AC12 YIKES3. Im a fan of FF helmets just my personal preference.

Old HJC helmet:

This is the Icon Alliance Harbringer, i am looking at:

Video review:

Any thoughts? I like the all black version too but the skull graphic is pretty badazz

·
Registered
755 Posts
I wear ff only myself. I tried the icon alience and it had to much air leak around the visor. Then I got the icon airframe and boy what a difference. It's even super smooth in the wind. My old cheap helmet used to move around like crazy this helmet feels like I'm in a car. :D

·
Registered
257 Posts
Helmet reviews

Try going to weblike world.com they have reviews on a bunch of helmets. I have bought helmets based upon their reviews and have been happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wear ff only myself. I tried the icon alience and it had to much air leak around the visor. Then I got the icon airframe and boy what a difference. It's even super smooth in the wind. My old cheap helmet used to move around like crazy this helmet feels like I'm in a car. :D
Thanks for the info. Which version of the Alliance did you have? The SSR was prone to noise most reviews i've read say good things about the latest revision. I really don't care for the look of the Airframe

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I had an ICON Airframe years ago. Its the last helmet I will buy from ICON I was not happy with it. It was noisy and did not hold up well over time.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I wear FF Shoei RF-1000 (I have a pair of them. 1 for me and 1 for my 8 year old son). The new RF-1100 is a great helmet for the $'s. Mine was new, old stock and came with two shields, one tinted for $200 and the son's was used with a mirror finish for $100 so these were a great deal for the $s. These are both SUPER quiet and even have matching graphics (Strife graphic versions red & Blue).

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have 10 helmets. My favorites are the Shoei QWest. ( I have 2)
They are quiet and comfortable. Second is my Motoboss w blue tooth
Then my Icon inferno. Behind that are my modular helmet, my 7 zero 7 and my Tirade.

If I could only have 1 it would be the Shoei

·
Registered
263 Posts
I use the Shark Evoline 2 ST. I admit it's a bit bulkier than most, but you adapt rather quickly and the level of quality in all the components is well beyond any other helmet I've ever had.

SharkEvoline2STMoovitBk.jpg

I rarely ride with it in the open face configuration, but it does make it easier to put on and take off than a fixed helmet.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I wear FF Shoei RF-1000 (I have a pair of them. 1 for me and 1 for my 8 year old son). The new RF-1100 is a great helmet for the $'s. Mine was new, old stock and came with two shields, one tinted for $200 and the son's was used with a mirror finish for $100 so these were a great deal for the $s. These are both SUPER quiet and even have matching graphics (Strife graphic versions red & Blue).
I'm with you. I've owned several FF helmets over the years and they've all had issues of one sort or another, too much noise, poor ventilation, plastic parts breaking, hot spots on my forehead etc.

I've been wearing mostly the Shoei RF series since the RF-700 and have been happy with all of them. I don't even consider a different model anymore, though I'm glad to see so much competition nowadays. Hopefully it will hold prices down some.

·
Registered
782 Posts
HJC are "ok" and Icon are crap.

Check out the detailed reviews at sportbiketrackgear.com, helmetharbor.com and revzilla.com then you'll at least know what features are built into better quality helmets. Forget any "hype" that you may hear, just focus on the features and benefits of the different technologies.

If you want the best in comfort, peripheral vision, airflow and protection, look at these brands:

Arai
Shoei
Bell (particularly the Bell Star)
Shark
AGV
Akuma

Arai and Shoei are the hands-down best possible helmets you can buy, and there is a reason for the additional cost. Become educated and you'll make the right choices.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Bell manufactures MANY different quality levels. A $100 half helmet does not compare in any way to a $600 Bell Star. totally different levels entirely thumb up

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
HJC are "ok" and Icon are crap.

Check out the detailed reviews at sportbiketrackgear.com, helmetharbor.com and revzilla.com then you'll at least know what features are built into better quality helmets. Forget any "hype" that you may hear, just focus on the features and benefits of the different technologies.

If you want the best in comfort, peripheral vision, airflow and protection, look at these brands:

Arai
Shoei
Bell (particularly the Bell Star)
Shark
AGV
Akuma

Arai and Shoei are the hands-down best possible helmets you can buy, and there is a reason for the additional cost. Become educated and you'll make the right choices.
I owned an Arai Quantum once. It was comfortable and I liked the smooth operation of the shield compared to the ratchet action of the Shoei, but once in the wind it would slam shut unlike the ratchet lids which remain open however far I choose. It also had very good ventilation.

It was reasonably quiet on bikes without windscreens taking a frontal blast, but I rented an FJR and the turbulent blast over the screen caused the shield to rattle like crazy. On that trip, every now and then I would have to stop and grab some toilet paper to stick between the face shield and the shell as a sound deadener and to hold the face shield open slightly to help prevent fogging.

My wife had her face shield pop out of one side while stuck in a down pour in BFE West Virginia. I had a hell of a time getting it back together and she was soaked by the time I did. Shoei face shields just snap in place. Takes under 5 seconds.

I also had a plastic bit break off on the chin vent. Didn't really affect it's usefulness, but still, for the price I paid for the thing, I expected a little better quality than that.

I will say it did it's job. I banged it off the curb in a minor low side and was no worse for the wear. Even got the insurance company to comp me on it.

Nothing ever goes wrong with my Shoeis. I just toss them after years as the fit becomes looser and the interior becomes funkier.

I would take the JD power thing with a grain of salt. Riders do not all use such things equally. For the guy riding an hour or so once in a while behind a good fairing/windscreen, probably most anything would work fine. Also, keep in mind that there are different models. I had an Arai open faced lid that I thought was fantastic.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use a Scorpion EXO-700. Cheap (for a decent helmet), probably considered a bit on the noisy side, but, I like it.

I went down a few years ago, and remember watching rocks go by and thinking I was more than a little glad that I was wearing a full face.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts