Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are not very knowledgeable about doing a fundraiser/smoker, but does anybody here have good ideas about how we could help raise funds for her friend since high school, that was diagnosed with cancer.

Gina was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and brain cancer. In December she had surgery to remove tumors from her brain. She was always very athletic and never smoked a day in her life.
She has been getting radiation daily for the lung cancer and also receives chemotherapy for her tumors.
She's a single mother raising 3 children with one being a junior in high school.
For years she had a home operated daycare,and is no longer able to work.
It's taking way too long to get disability and help from the government(which she truly deserves). Her medical costs are stacking up quickly.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Being a cancer patient myself, my heart goes out to your wife's friend, Gina. I will offer up what suggestions come to mind for now and if I think of more, I'll post those.
+ Contact the Susan G. Koman folks. I know their thing is breast cancer, but they are awash in millions (maybe billions) of $$$$$.
+ Start a fund in Gina's name at a local branch of a national bank, like Chase. Then contact local media; TV news, talk radio, newspapers and tell them about Gina.
+ Obamacare or your state's coverage program.
+ If Gina is on food stamps, she may get medical care too. If she's not on food stamps, I'll wager she qualifies.
I hope these help. Maybe others have more ideas.
Ric

·
Registered
147 Posts
See if any local places will donate time and space to have a fundraiser. Ie: elks clubs, dance halls, bars. Ask your local bands to donate time playing. Check around town, most business will donate items that can be raffled off or a silent auction. Have 50/50 drawings throughout the night, most people will donate money back. Friends of mine had a fundraiser for their son and raised around $15,000. My prayers to her. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Start cooking meth.
Sorry, kidding of course. We're doing a fundraiser on Sunday for my neighbors who got in a head-on car collision. We got a local meeting hall to donate the space for the afternoon and we're holding a free-will Chili Feed. Some friends and I are cooking up a bunch of chili (cheap, easy to make) and deserts. We started a Facebook page and printed off fliers to spread the news. A friend of mine did one for his grandson who was born with a birth defect and one lunch raised $6000.

Another option is an auction. They got a bunch of donated items (and some booze), an auctioneer donated his time, and they raised $20,000 in an afternoon. Helps if you have a large group of friends to pool resources from.

Also check out on-line fund raiser websites like caringbridge.org or gofundme.com.
Good luck...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
First thing, get a post up with info where we can assist.

Please.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts